• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

RHD2 or vhd2 whatever you call it [emoji38]

Graciee

Staff member
So I'm taking Fleur to the vets for something unrelated but my other two buns vaccinations are up to date but I forgot the cards last time so am going to take them with me so they can be filled out - noticed that Fleur needs her RHD2 vaccine literally today - except my vets is out? And have no idea when they'll get it back in... Should I take her somewhere else just to get the vaccine maybe tomorrow evening or something? Or wait... Whenever I need them to get vaccinations there always seems to be an issue with getting hold of the stuff [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

So I'm taking Fleur to the vets for something unrelated but my other two buns vaccinations are up to date but I forgot the cards last time so am going to take them with me so they can be filled out - noticed that Fleur needs her RHD2 vaccine literally today - except my vets is out? And have no idea when they'll get it back in... Should I take her somewhere else just to get the vaccine maybe tomorrow evening or something? Or wait... Whenever I need them to get vaccinations there always seems to be an issue with getting hold of the stuff [emoji38]

If Fleur is unwell atm it is unlikely that the Vet would vaccinate her anyway. You could ask the Vet when they expect to get more Vaccine back in stock. If they dont know then you could phone around other Vets to try to try to find a Practice that does have some. However, until Fleurs 'not rightness' has been resolved I would not want to be taking her to other Vets to be vaccinated.

Just my two penneth worth :)

Hiya Grace

Firstly I would wait until Fleur is back on top form before vaccinating. Secondly, I wouldn't worry for a few days after the due date.

However, I would feel it's a good idea to ring around and see who has the vaccine in stock, as it may not be at your vet when Fleur needs it.

I know what you mean about getting hold of the vaccine - I have this problem too. Or rather my vet does :lol:

Sorry I probably didn't make that clear I won't get her vaccinated whilst she's unwell it's just when I rang my vet they said they had no idea when they'd get it in stock, so if she's unprotected for a week or so she should be okay? :) xx

Sorry I probably didn't make that clear I won't get her vaccinated whilst she's unwell it's just when I rang my vet they said they had no idea when they'd get it in stock, so if she's unprotected for a week or so she should be okay? :) xx

Yes she will be absolutely fine :)

The Novibac Myxo is tested to 13 months efficacy and this one too, so she will be covered :)

The protection any vaccine gives does not wear off immediately when a booster is due, there will always be a residual immunity. Also, in a multi Rabbit setting if 90%+ of the colony are vaccinated there will be some protection for an unvaccinated Rabbit via herd immunity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

I am not sure why your Vet is having problems obtaining the Vaccine as there isn't a supply problem at the moment. My Vet has loads in stock and has not encountered any supply issues for several months x

Soo apparently they're doing RHD2 every year now.. Instead of every 6 months - is this okay do you both think?

Also they just said they were having an issue with the supplier - no clue I called vets4pets and they have it in if I want.

How frequently do you vaccinate for it?:)

Soo apparently they're doing RHD2 every year now.. Instead of every 6 months - is this okay do you both think?

Also they just said they were having an issue with the supplier - no clue I called vets4pets and they have it in if I want.

Absolutely, every 12 months is fine. That's the duration of immunity stated on their data sheet :)

Data Sheet:

July 2017

SUMMARY OF PRODUCT CHARACTERISTICS

NAME OF THE VETERINARY MEDICINAL PRODUCT
FILAVAC VHD K C+V suspension for injection for rabbits (1-dose).
FILAVAC VHD K C+V concentrate and solvent for suspension for injection for rabbits (50-dose and 200-dose presentations).

(extract)
Indications for use, specifying the target species
For active immunisation of rabbits (fattening and future breeders) from 10 weeks of age, to reduce mortality due to rabbit haemorrhagic disease caused by classical (RHDV1) and type 2 (RHDV2) virus strains.

Onset of immunity: 7 days.
Duration of immunity: 12 months.

I vaccinate once a year for RHD2 :)

How frequently do you vaccinate for it?
:)

It depends on the specific circumstances, there would be some where-by I would vaccinate every 6 months- eg in a Breeding Colony or a Rescue setting. I would decided based on the specific circumstances at any given time and also on the advice of my Vet whom I trust :)

annually for us too

Another annual vaccinator here: even though we forage from areas with a wild population, we're a low-risk area :)

Any luck with finding a vet with the vaccine, Grace?
Thanks all I think I'll leave it to yearly aswell then :)

Yea vets4pets have it, but if I'm doing it yearly she doesn't need it for another 6 months :) x

Back