• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fleur not herself :(

It's really weird and worrying for you.

This might be completely out of order, and I totally accept that William is an expert in exotics, but would he be prepared to run the details of Fleur's case by another exotics vet? Sometimes when you're that close to something and it's been ongoing, you might just get someone else to shed a glimmer of light on it?

There's a fab exotics vet in London he could mail the details to:

Matthew Fiddes

http://www.cjhall-vets.co.uk/staff.asp

Yeaa I'm not sure how I'd even ask him that [emoji38] he looked at what the other exotic vet at his vets had written in the notes and said he agreed with what she had done so far.. I'd happily get another opinion etc but not sure how I'd ask him to consult someone else... Bit awkward maybe?

It's difficult because he said earlier she looks good - but he said he wouldn't expect to see the gas where it was and even though she seems bright and happy in herself obviously she's just not functioning right... But she doesn't have to because I've been keeping her going... And if I stop she just goes down hill again. Not sure about it all honestly and I'm very worried about adhesions that sounds terrible :( xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Would a rabbit flop if it's in pain?

Like when they throw themselves down?

My other two do this all the time, but I never see Fleur flop and she's just thrown herself down twice.. Idk I'm super worried about her :(

My other two do this all the time, but I never see Fleur flop and she's just thrown herself down twice.. Idk I'm super worried about her :(

There's a marked difference between a 'happy flop' and a 'pain flop'. With the latter the Rabbit is likely to keep doing it in an agitated and restless way. There respiratory rate may be raised too and their ears will be in the 'anxious' position

https://www.nc3rs.org.uk/rabbit-grimace-scale

I think is possible. when joey is uncomfortable he hunches but i've seen boo flop when uncomfy (shes big on flops anyway). Its natural to be worried about any new behaviour. Are they comfy looking flops or does she seem stressed? x

Just thinking out loud here - what about a problem within the rectum/anus. Polyps for example, too high up to be seen externally.

*Gross images alert*

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Viral/anal_pap.htm

Or a problem involving the anal sphincter- Proctalgia

http://ddc.musc.edu/public/symptoms/proctalgia.html

Have you mentioned Fleur's fecal poo pulling out to William ?

Would an endoscopy be an option :? Fleur sounds to be feeling relatively well within herself, I can understand your :? :cry: about the thought of her undergoing major gut surgery or worse.

I've been out all day and have just read through all the latest posts on Fleur.

Jane might have a point here regarding a physical problem, which is preventing the fecal poo coming out. My reasoning is that, from what you have said, she does not appear to be in pain (although gas has been seen). She might however "sense" that she feels full and so does not want to eat very much for that reason rather than pain. I have never seen a rabbit attempt to pull the poo out and I think this is a significant observation. I think it's worth discussing with William (not the vet nurses).

I think I would limit the veg at the moment and concentrate on giving her the cc and some herbs. She's also eating hay I think.

Okay she's not good, she's got a catheter in and I've gotta give fluids and pain meds through the night :'( 17 blood glucose

Okay she's not good, she's got a catheter in and I've gotta give fluids and pain meds through the night :'( 17 blood glucose

Loads of vibes xx

If the vet suspects a cecal impaction (which causes gut slowdown and no poos) then please don't restrict the wet leafy greens. Fibre and moisture are essential, but of course check with William or whoever is on duty.

Let me know if I can do anything. You know where I am.

Thinking of you xxx

Thanks everyone so so much <3 I'm going to offer her kale and herbs again bit scared about giving the pain meds and water through the ear thing but vet let me do the water whilst we was there and it went fine so hopefully I won't **** it up, if there's any issues ima go straight to vets4pets I'm sure they could fix a leaky ear catheter..

Also vet said don't feed her because she looks very full. But leaving greens out if she wants is okay right? She just said no cc.

Also her xray shows gas has disapated it's now all over the place in smaller bits which is good I think....?

Sending lots of vibes for her xx
Thank you xx

Iv fluids seem to be going okay. She's very dopey the pain killer is vetergesic so I think that's normal, gotta give her more of it at 2am.

Can't believe really this is all happening, if she makes it through the night I'm guessing they'll try operate tomorrow and see if there are adhesions. Which they think it might be. Not sure a rabbit can survive that? Williams already said if it's the intestine then they can't operate on that. So I guess that's, that really. Hope I can keep her comfortable throughout the night, but I can't believe Im probably gunna have to say goodbye to Fleur :(

Thank you xx

Iv fluids seem to be going okay. She's very dopey the pain killer is vetergesic so I think that's normal, gotta give her more of it at 2am.

Can't believe really this is all happening, if she makes it through the night I'm guessing they'll try operate tomorrow and see if there are adhesions. Which they think it might be. Not sure a rabbit can survive that? Williams already said if it's the intestine then they can't operate on that. So I guess that's, that really. Hope I can keep her comfortable throughout the night, but I can't believe Im probably gunna have to say goodbye to Fleur :(

I can't believe it either Fleur. Sending vibes and hugs for you both throughout the night xx

Thank you xx

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear how things have developed :cry: I am hoping for a miracle for Fleur xx

Thanks everyone, she's barely moved all night, passed a few poops but spends most of her time laying in her litter tray.

Did the fluids every two hours, she seemed to go a bit dopey when I did this? Is that normal?

Off to the vets soon, although kinda dreading it.. Almost don't want to go because I'll then have to make decisions :( small part of me hopes they've all got it wrong and it's something that can be fixed... [emoji38] anyway I'll update with what happens, thanks everyone for the support xx

Thanks everyone, she's barely moved all night, passed a few poops but spends most of her time laying in her litter tray.

Did the fluids every two hours, she seemed to go a bit dopey when I did this? Is that normal?

Off to the vets soon, although kinda dreading it.. Almost don't want to go because I'll then have to make decisions :( small part of me hopes they've all got it wrong and it's something that can be fixed... [emoji38] anyway I'll update with what happens, thanks everyone for the support xx

Poor Fleur :cry:

I continue to hope for a miracle for her xx

Back