• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring ideas for indoor pen

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Hello.

I think we need to update the buns flooring under their pen, because Pip is insisting she's pees on it so I need something easy to clean!

So they currently have two xl dog crates with fleece on the bottom. This is fine and they like this.

Their pen is attached to the crates and has a piece of lino covering the bottom. They seem to find that too slippy, so we cover that with a large piece of fleece.

The room is unfortunately deep pile carpet (landlords choice) which Archie loves to pull up and chew!

This means the lino moves around on the carpet even when weighted down, so is not ideal.

Does anyone use anything on top of deep carpet that can be wiped clean?

I've though about plywood covered in something like lino/vinyl but not sure they'll like it. They hate our kitchen, which is non slip vinyl.

Or perhaps rubber matting, but thought that might be irristable to Archie. He once ate my rubber massage ball!!!!!!

Any ideas would be great....

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I use a tarpaulin topped with puppy pads for my piggies.

26804977_10157001256258272_4560207775924692120_n.jpg

Coroplast - the stuff used for the flooring of C&C cages is really good. Wipes down well :)

I use 'outdoor fabric' on top of my rug. There's loads on ebay and it's usually described as waterproof fabric for outdoor furniture cushions. Comes in lots of different colours, can go in the washing machine and provides decent traction for the rabbits :)

Hmm. I think the puppy pads, coroplast and rubber squares that lock in will get munched by Archie. But all good ideas.

I am thinking about the horse rubber matting and I think if i put it over plywood that will stop it sliding around on the carpet.

I've also found a company who make natural based lino (not cheap) but my OH worries about them being on pvc.

So have two possible options.

Might order a few samples and see what the buns like...and what we like too. Hahaha

Hmm. I think the puppy pads, coroplast and rubber squares that lock in will get munched by Archie. But all good ideas.

I am thinking about the horse rubber matting and I think if i put it over plywood that will stop it sliding around on the carpet.

I've also found a company who make natural based lino (not cheap) but my OH worries about them being on pvc.

So have two possible options.

Might order a few samples and see what the buns like...and what we like too. Hahaha

Mine chew on foam mats and sometimes chew on puppy pads but as long as I lay the waterproof fabric flat and fold the edges under they don't chew it, it's fairly heavy and there's no fibres sticking out that they can get hold of :)

I used rubber conveyer belt matting in my shed when I had outdoor bunnies, it’s very tough, 10mm thick and reinforced inside with fibres, and it was very dense. I think it is similar to stable matting, and even my 4 confirmed chewers couldn’t chew or dig at it. It was used - one side was a bit marked but the other was new so we used that side up. Try conveyer belt manufacturers if there are any near you - it was ridiculously cheap and they actually gave me the rabbit shed piece for free! If not, I am sure stable matting would be tough.

It is very grippy even when wet.

Mine chew on foam mats and sometimes chew on puppy pads but as long as I lay the waterproof fabric flat and fold the edges under they don't chew it, it's fairly heavy and there's no fibres sticking out that they can get hold of :)
Thanks Demi I'll take a look at that. Do your buns zoom around on It?

I used rubber conveyer belt matting in my shed when I had outdoor bunnies, it’s very tough, 10mm thick and reinforced inside with fibres, and it was very dense. I think it is similar to stable matting, and even my 4 confirmed chewers couldn’t chew or dig at it. It was used - one side was a bit marked but the other was new so we used that side up. Try conveyer belt manufacturers if there are any near you - it was ridiculously cheap and they actually gave me the rabbit shed piece for free! If not, I am sure stable matting would be tough.

It is very grippy even when wet.
Just had a funny thought of my two on a conveyor belt. Hahaha. I'll have a look thanks

Back