• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Sneezing.

Ross

Warren Scout
hey guys!

not long ago I had problems with marnie, sneezing every so often (more often then not singular sneezes, or at least a small gap between sneezes), with no other symptoms, and it was a bacterial infection.

a couple of moths have gone on and today Declan had a sneezing fit or about 5 or 6 (he was eating his food which seemed abit dusty around the nuggets), then I may of heard him have another one, and not so long ago I definitely heard him have a possible 3 sneezing session, I've touched his nose and its a bit damp/wet.. any ideas on what to do, its so different to Marnie last year.

this only started a few hours ago, you think a trip to the vets is in order?

hey guys!

not long ago I had problems with marnie, sneezing every so often (more often then not singular sneezes, or at least a small gap between sneezes), with no other symptoms, and it was a bacterial infection.

a couple of moths have gone on and today Declan had a sneezing fit or about 5 or 6 (he was eating his food which seemed abit dusty around the nuggets), then I may of heard him have another one, and not so long ago I definitely heard him have a possible 3 sneezing session, I've touched his nose and its a bit damp/wet.. any ideas on what to do, its so different to Marnie last year.

Yes, I think that may be a good idea if the sneezing is ongoing and there is some nasal discharge. I always prefer to err on the side of caution. The Vet will be able to listen to Declan's lungs too to make sure that there are no signs of infection lower down in the respiratory tract. It may just be the dust that has irritated his nasal passages. But as I have said, I'd rather play it safe and get him thoroughly checked over. I believe it's always best to nip a potential problem in the bud

If you have a check on the fur on the insides of his front paws the fur may be damp and sticky. This would be indicative of him wiping his nose a lot and add additional evidence of him having an URTI.

Good luck xx

hey guys!

Hi Ross

I think you could consider going to the vet, as if there's discharge and sneezing the vet may want to make sure that it's a fairly local infection to the nasal area and not anywhere else (ie lungs etc). He can also take the temperature.

I've found this article really useful:

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

Is the discharge white?

My 2 mini lops are a little over a year now and been sneezing for almost a year. The vet has tried a variety of antibiotics but nothing has got rid of it. They sometime sneeze up to a dozen times in a row bitten vet has checked their lungs and all is clear. They had a litter last spring and now all 3 of them sneeze too. One of them doesn't live with us. The vet said he isn't concerned because they are otherwise fit and healthy, eating, pooing and playing happily.
We do get their chests checked regularly so definitely worth a vet trip but my post is just to reassure that he may be fine despite the sneezing and try not to worry too much.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My 2 mini lops are a little over a year now and been sneezing for almost a year. The vet has tried a variety of antibiotics but nothing has got rid of it. They sometime sneeze up to a dozen times in a row bitten vet has checked their lungs and all is clear. They had a litter last spring and now all 3 of them sneeze too. One of them doesn't live with us. The vet said he isn't concerned because they are otherwise fit and healthy, eating, pooing and playing happily.
We do get their chests checked regularly so definitely worth a vet trip but my post is just to reassure that he may be fine despite the sneezing and try not to worry too much.

I would agree with you Louise. It's sometimes just something that happens and we can't prevent it.

I find that nebulising regularly helps with sneezy rabbits though, as does giving Bisolvon to thin the mucous :)

thank you guys!

Hopefully it wont be a problem as bad as Marnie's was, as its a bit different type of sneezes and there's discharge this time, and I have still got the info from last time!! hopefully Dec wont be immune to Baytril like Marnie lol
he seemed okay all day until this evening so my girlfriends gonna take him tomorrow, he seems happy in himself :)

thanks for the website max!! it seems like the clear runny type of nose discharge,
guess we will see what the vets say tomorrow!

I would agree with you Louise. It's sometimes just something that happens and we can't prevent it.

I find that nebulising regularly helps with sneezy rabbits though, as does giving Bisolvon to thin the mucous :)

I've not heard of nebulising or Bisovon. I'd be interested in trying these as they have a whitish discharge and the parents sometimes sound like they are hacking up after a sneezing bout. I shall look into this, thank you Mighty Max!

thank you guys!

Hopefully it wont be a problem as bad as Marnie's was, as its a bit different type of sneezes and there's discharge this time, and I have still got the info from last time!! hopefully Dec wont be immune to Baytril like Marnie lol
he seemed okay all day until this evening so my girlfriends gonna take him tomorrow, he seems happy in himself :)

thanks for the website max!! it seems like the clear runny type of nose discharge,
guess we will see what the vets say tomorrow!

You're welcome Ross :)

Good luck at the vet tomorrow!

I've not heard of nebulising or Bisovon. I'd be interested in trying these as they have a whitish discharge and the parents sometimes sound like they are hacking up after a sneezing bout. I shall look into this, thank you Mighty Max!

You're welcome :thumb:

These things sometimes help because they actually get to the spot where the problem is (ie the nose!). Antibiotics have difficulty penetrating and doing much good.

Bisolvon is a prescription only drug (white powder) but a sachet lasts absolutely ages.

I also give echinacea to boost the immune system. All works together :)

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

You're welcome :thumb:

These things sometimes help because they actually get to the spot where the problem is (ie the nose!). Antibiotics have difficulty penetrating and doing much good.

Bisolvon is a prescription only drug (white powder) but a sachet lasts absolutely ages.

I also give echinacea to boost the immune system. All works together :)

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract
Yes you advised Echinacea when you advised me last year. I got some but it didn't seem to make a difference over the 4 months I used it. I still have it. I may try again.

Yes you advised Echinacea when you advised me last year. I got some but it didn't seem to make a difference over the 4 months I used it. I still have it. I may try again.

There are other immune boosters that I use too :D

Also, you should give echinacea over a three week period, then take a break before beginning it again.

How much did you give?

There are other immune boosters that I use too :D

Also, you should give echinacea over a three week period, then take a break before beginning it again.

How much did you give?
I think it was 4 drops in 200ml, and I changed it every other day. I didn't know about having a break after 3 weeks.

I think it was 4 drops in 200ml, and I changed it every other day. I didn't know about having a break after 3 weeks.

If you put it into the drinking water there wouldn't be enough potency for it to work. That's way too low!

You would need to actually syringe the dose into the mouth of the rabbit! :)

If you put it into the drinking water there wouldn't be enough potency for it to work. That's way too low!

You would need to actually syringe the dose into the mouth of the rabbit! :)
They don't like the syringe and I was risking getting bitten! How much would I need to put in the water for it to work do you think?

They don't like the syringe and I was risking getting bitten! How much would I need to put in the water for it to work do you think?

Oh I see! I can't recommend putting it into the water at all I'm afraid.

Putting it onto food (small piece of bread?) would be a better option :D

Oh I see! I can't recommend putting it into the water at all I'm afraid.

Putting it onto food (small piece of bread?) would be a better option :D
I may try that then. How much Echinacea would they need each?

Declan's vets went well, he's right weight, temperature and all that, just a runny nose and slight infection, so Baytril for him for a week!

at least its nothing serious :D

Declan's vets went well, he's right weight, temperature and all that, just a runny nose and slight infection, so Baytril for him for a week!

I hope that clears it up Ross, and sorry for invading your thread :)

Hopefully the Baytril will bring about some improvement. Is your Vet going to review Declan at the end of his treatment ? I ask as sometimes treatment may need to go on for longer than 7 days x

Back