• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gemini Head Tilt Update 2/22/2019

Sending lots of vibes for Gemini. Carrot tops and Dandelions....yum, yum,yum :D I hope he's soon fully back to normal eating.

Gemini is eating some pellets and all his greens. He enjoys carrot tops most so he is getting spoiled with his very own stash of carrot tops, along with the dandelion greens. So far he is just nibbling on hay.
He is sill on medicam and is a very good boy.

Oooh that's sounding good :)

Well done Gemini and well done you! x

I hope he feels like eating hay soon. When Frosty needed a dental afterwards he wouldn’t eat the hay he was on before, so I had to change to some other types!
Gemini is still just nibbling hay. He is eating pellets and lots of greens. Tonight he got his regular timothy hay along with some orchard grass hay (it is softer).

Sending lots of vibes for Gemini. Carrot tops and Dandelions....yum, yum,yum :D I hope he's soon fully back to normal eating.
Thanks Omi. We are still working on getting him back to normal. I even wonder if he is not eating hay because he has been getting extra greens prior to his dental after he stopped eating the hay, so now he has my number.
Yesterday the store was completely out of dandelions and the tops of the carrots did not look good. I am glad I still have a few in the fridge and hope they are back in stock tomorrow.

Oooh that's sounding good :)

Well done Gemini and well done you! x

Maybe it is too good and that is why he does not want his hay. He is a sweet bunny and handsome too. I will keep trying to entice him with different varieties/batches and hope I find the one he likes. When Raven went off hay last Spring, I eventually purchased a large package of hay that he liked so I saved it exclusively for him. Hopefully Gemini will go back to his old self soon.

On Monday Jan 21 Gemini had a dental. After a few days of pain meds, he was eating well on his own. By this weekend: I stopped his Medicam and he was eating and drinking well.
Today, Tuesday Jan 29, Gemini looked well in the morning. I had an appointment and in the afternoon I did not notice anything unusual. At 6:45pm my spouse went to give Gemini a few head pets and he noticed Gemini had a tilt to his head. Neither my spouse or I noticed any eye movements and he is not falling over. In early March 2018 Gemini was treated with antibiotics and medicam for head tilt. He got fluids, syringe feedings and lots of TLC and got better. His slight tilt improved over time and he was looking well.
I gave him the same antibiotics that helped in in March; along with Medicam. I am not sure if I will be able to get him to see the vets tomorrow because our area is currently having heavy snow and poor driving conditions and it is expected to get worse overnight and during most of tomorrow.

Please send Gemini some positive vibes that his head tllt will improve. He is such a sweet special bunny and I feel so bad he has this issue so soon after his dental.

On Monday Jan 21 Gemini had a dental. After a few days of pain meds, he was eating well on his own. By this weekend: I stopped his Medicam and he was eating and drinking well.
Today, Tuesday Jan 29, Gemini looked well in the morning. I had an appointment and in the afternoon I did not notice anything unusual. At 6:45pm my spouse went to give Gemini a few head pets and he noticed Gemini had a tilt to his head. Neither my spouse or I noticed any eye movements and he is not falling over. In early March 2018 Gemini was treated with antibiotics and medicam for head tilt. He got fluids, syringe feedings and lots of TLC and got better. His slight tilt improved over time and he was looking well.
I gave him the same antibiotics that helped in in March; along with Medicam. I am not sure if I will be able to get him to see the vets tomorrow because our area is currently having heavy snow and poor driving conditions and it is expected to get worse overnight and during most of tomorrow.

Please send Gemini some positive vibes that his head tllt will improve. He is such a sweet special bunny and I feel so bad he has this issue so soon after his dental.

Poor Gemini. It may be that the physiological stress of the Dental has triggered a relapse, this can happen with head tilt caused by either a bacterial infection or EC. I hope that you can access a Vet for him ASAP. Sending lots of vibes x

Sending lots of vibes for Gemini, I hope he is feeling better soon, and hugs to you xx

Best wishes bunny momma, I saw how bad it was in northern North America on BBC Breakfast today, so look after yourselves xx

Sending loads of vibes to your sweet and special Gemini x

Poor Gemini. It may be that the physiological stress of the Dental has triggered a relapse, this can happen with head tilt caused by either a bacterial infection or EC. I hope that you can access a Vet for him ASAP. Sending lots of vibes x
Thanks Jane,
I called vet and was told they were closing early due to weather; however, vet called me soon after I called the office and he instructed me to continue with antibiotics and medicam. Gemini's head has more tilt than it did last night. He is still eating and drinking. Vet said it may take a couple days before the antibiotics do their job. When Gemini had this issue in March 2018 he got worse before he began to improve; so I am hoping antibiotics will and medicam for inflammation will be effective and he will stop getting worse. Since the weather issue may continue to the morning I will call in morning to see if they are able to see him Thursday. While I want to give him lots of cuddles and hugs, I know he may feel better if he just gets some gentle pets and is not moved around much.

Sending lots of vibes for Gemini. I hope you manage to get to the vets.

The vets had to close early due to severe weather conditions. However, vet returned my call and spoke to me. Gemini has tilt to same side as March 2018 and for now we are treating him same as before. I am so thankful my veterinarian is not adverse to my having certain meds on hand for emergencies that occur when weather, personal illness, lack of availability of emergency people with bunny experience, or other issues keep me from getting a bunny to the vet right away.
Gemini had more tilt today. Still eating/drinking.
We appreciate the vibes.

Best wishes bunny momma, I saw how bad it was in northern North America on BBC Breakfast today, so look after yourselves xx

I live where the weather conditions can vary significantly from one community to another as bands of new snow fall and wind gusts blow the already fallen snow across the road making visibility difficult.
While it is not unusual for schools to close; today we had a severe enough event that doctors offices and other events are closed. My vets closed early. I was glad the vet called me back and spoke to me to confirm Gemini is getting the right care. I will not know until morning if they will be open tomorrow.
My spouse started to go to work before 7am and then he turned around and came home. So far we have not lost power so our furnace is working.
Yesterday I stopped at a very, very crowded supermarket. While others were buying food for themselves; my primary reason for going to the store was to get plenty of fresh greens for the bunnies!! Gemini will be getting some extra greens today, including his favorite--carrot tops.
I even fed the wild cottontail who lives under my shed; only to find the wild cottontail eating (or pruning to the ground) my Rose of Sharon bush hours later.

Sending loads of vibes to your sweet and special Gemini x

Thank you MM. I appreciate your concern. He could not get to the vets due to weather conditions that resulted in vets being closed early. However, vet returned my call and we will treat him same as in March 2018.

Lots of vibes, I hope his head tilt resolves really soon.

Thank you. He is more tilted today so I am anxious to have the antibiotics start to work. He got his first dose about 21 hours ago so I hope it will keep him from declining soon. It is time for me to spoil him with some more of his favorite greens.

Back