• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gemini Head Tilt Update 2/22/2019

He has been on meds for approximately 28 hours and his tilt has progressed since this morning. He is still able to hop without falling over. He is currently enjoying his carrot greens and some dandelions. I may give him some syringe feed because he did eat fewer pellets than he usually eats. Perhaps chewing the pellets makes his ear hurt. He did have a little soft smelly poo along with a nice pile of his normal poos.

I really hope that he improves soon. You are so caring to your bunnies and the wild cottontail:love: topping up the vibes and hugs xx

He has been on meds for approximately 28 hours and his tilt has progressed since this morning. He is still able to hop without falling over. He is currently enjoying his carrot greens and some dandelions. I may give him some syringe feed because he did eat fewer pellets than he usually eats. Perhaps chewing the pellets makes his ear hurt. He did have a little soft smelly poo along with a nice pile of his normal poos.

Vibes that he improves. So glad to hear he is enjoying his food :)
He couldn't be in better hands with you, you are so diligent always with your rabbits

Vibes that he improves. So glad to hear he is enjoying his food :)
He couldn't be in better hands with you, you are so diligent always with your rabbits

Thank you for your kind words. He got some critical care around 2am along with more greens. Early this morning he was stomping for 15 minutes. A couple hours later I went to pick him up and he ran away from me, jumped in his litter box, and scattered his litter. After I gave him meds I gave him more carrot greens (organic) as a peace offering. He did not drink water overnight so I may need to start him on some sub Q fluids.

I really hope that he improves soon. You are so caring to your bunnies and the wild cottontail:love: topping up the vibes and hugs xx[/QUOTE

Still no improvement this morning when he got his meds. He normally drinks a lot and he did not drink water overnight. He is still able to hop in and out of his litterbox and he did not fall that I could see.

Thank you for your kind words. He got some critical care around 2am along with more greens. Early this morning he was stomping for 15 minutes. A couple hours later I went to pick him up and he ran away from me, jumped in his litter box, and scattered his litter. After I gave him meds I gave him more carrot greens (organic) as a peace offering. He did not drink water overnight so I may need to start him on some sub Q fluids.

I'm sorry to hear he's not drinking :love:

How are you? I hope you're not getting too exhausted, what with your own issues and family too x

Gemini has an appointment with vet in the morning. After declining for 48 hours , he started to improve a bit.
I hope this means abx and medicam are starting to work.
In reving my notes on his head tilt from march 18, I saw he had a dental while he was treating for head tilt. This time he got head tilt a week after dental.
Coincidence?
We appreciate the vibs.

This morning he is more active and he seems to be improving more since his worst on thursday.
Vet said continue medications.If he does not continue to improve on current abx we will try another.
Thanks for the good thoughts

Gemini and I appreciated your positive vibes. He began to improve after the first 48 hours. He continued on syringe feedings and sub Q fluids to supplement his below average consumption for a few more days. By the end of the first week he was eating and drinking well. He got spoiled with a lot of greens from organic carrots (I now have a bin full of carrots). He has now been on his meds for two weeks and in the past week I see more improvement. He is moving his head more and it is less tilted. His right ear is also be held more upright.
Now that he is feeling better, he is letting me know he does not like the flavor of his antibiotic. He is now running away from me when I approach him to pick him up. My spouse has been giving Gemini some extra snuggles and Gemini is enjoying them a lot.
He will remain on the abx for a couple more weeks to make sure the infection will not return with more resistant bacteria.

Gemini is still on his antibiotics to make sure his infection is not going to return. His tilt is hardly noticeable and it is the same amount of tilt he had remaining after his first ear infection in March 2018. Since his January 2019 head tilt began during a blizzard that had treacherous driving, driving bans, and many businesses closed; I am so thankful that I had the appropriate antibiotic, Medicam, fluids, and critical care on hand so treatment could start before we could get to the vets. I am so grateful my Gemini responded well to the treatment. Gemini was my anniversary present from my husband. He was a 4H bunny and his owner had to find homes for her 4H bunnies when she could no longer keep them. When my spouse first saw him he had a sign that said 'I'm friendly'. He is so lovable and handsome too.
I am hoping that the head tilt will not return again.

Gemini is still on his antibiotics to make sure his infection is not going to return. His tilt is hardly noticeable and it is the same amount of tilt he had remaining after his first ear infection in March 2018. Since his January 2019 head tilt began during a blizzard that had treacherous driving, driving bans, and many businesses closed; I am so thankful that I had the appropriate antibiotic, Medicam, fluids, and critical care on hand so treatment could start before we could get to the vets. I am so grateful my Gemini responded well to the treatment. Gemini was my anniversary present from my husband. He was a 4H bunny and his owner had to find homes for her 4H bunnies when she could no longer keep them. When my spouse first saw him he had a sign that said 'I'm friendly'. He is so lovable and handsome too.
I am hoping that the head tilt will not return again.

So glad to hear this news about his tilt!
Your spouse is very intuitive, and Gemini was lucky to end up being cared for by both of you x

Back