• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gemini Head Tilt Update 2/22/2019

Jane and MM,

Thank you for your reassurance in regards to his soft poo. He had less of the soft poo today, but what he had smelled very stinky. I cleaned his rear as much as he would allow. He also had some smaller/hard poos so I suspect that is also because he is not getting enough fiber. Gemini still has the eye movements in both eyes to about the same extent as yesterday at this time and his head has approximately the same amount of tilt. However, he is falling less often as he moves around. Today he also ate a small amount of greens from carrot tops and dandelion greens; plus he even managed to drink a little from his water bottle without falling over. He still needs the critical care/ground pellet mash and sub Q fluids along with his meds.

You're welcome :)

I don't know about you, but when problems seem to keep coming, and sleep is deprived, I can lose a sense of perspective over what's normal and what's worrying. Everything becomes worrying!

I like that he's eaten a bit and drunk from the bottle without falling over. Bless his little heart :love:

Sending vibes xx

His eye movements are only happening occasionally. The only thing he eats well are the greens from organic carrots. He nibbles a couple strands of hay then stops and he is not eating dandelion greens.
It is hard to determine if his teeth are bothering him too or if chewing bothers his ear.

His eye movements are only happening occasionally. The only thing he eats well are the greens from organic carrots. He nibbles a couple strands of hay then stops and he is not eating dandelion greens.
It is hard to determine if his teeth are bothering him too or if chewing bothers his ear.

IME a Rabbit with ear pain often favours soft foods. Also, Gemini is bound to be feeling rather 'bleurgh' and so his appetite in general may not be great. I have Labyrinthitis at the moment and if a Rabbit with any type of vestibular disturbance feels anything like I do just now then I can totally understand how they do not want to eat much at all.

It's good that the nystagmus has reduced. I really hope that he can keep fighting on. Lots more vibes being sent xx

I am so glad that the nystagmus has reduced.

Sorry about his appetite. The vet could prescribe a vitamin B injection which often perks them up.

Sending loads of vibes x

IME a Rabbit with ear pain often favours soft foods. Also, Gemini is bound to be feeling rather 'bleurgh' and so his appetite in general may not be great. I have Labyrinthitis at the moment and if a Rabbit with any type of vestibular disturbance feels anything like I do just now then I can totally understand how they do not want to eat much at all.

It's good that the nystagmus has reduced. I really hope that he can keep fighting on. Lots more vibes being sent xx

Hi Jane,

I am sorry you are feeling ill ATM. I am sending you some positive vibes.

Gemini is doing a bit better each day and today I did not see any nystagmus and he also had less of a tilt in his head. He is moving better too. I still have him on a critical care/ground pellet mix and sub Q fluids. He is also on a medium dose of Medicam (he was on a low dose prior to this because of his chronic dental issues) and getting the abx as directed.

It is likely he was close to needing another dental procedure prior to his becoming ill; so now I need to wait until Gemini is feeling better.

I am so glad that the nystagmus has reduced.

Sorry about his appetite. The vet could prescribe a vitamin B injection which often perks them up.

Sending loads of vibes x

Hi MM,

Today I did not see any nystagmus. Since he is only eating the green tops of organic carrots I went to the store and purchased a few more bunches. I was glad they had some because they are not always available with the green tops. The cashier sees the carrots, dandelions, and some other greens and commented on my healthy choices!!! Some people are so judgmental that I am reluctant to tell people I do not know well that I am purchasing them for my pet bunnies. In this world there is so much evil that it is upsetting when some people make mean comments about the level of care I give my pets which is harmless (other than to my pocketbook) even if it is not something they would do themselves. That is why I am so thankful for the people on RU.

After more than two weeks, Gemini still has a minor tilt to his head, but no more eye or head movements. He still is not eating much on his own and when I weighed him he lost a few ounces so he weighs less than he ever weighed in the time he has been mine. Gemini has chronic dental issues, and prior to his head tilt/infection he was already slowing down on his eating. He would have had a dental already had he not developed the awful head tilt, eye/head movements, and balance issues. Therefore, I called the vet and he agreed we need to sedate him and check his teeth. Gemini is scheduled for his dental on Monday and I am asking for some positive vibes that he will soon return to his regular eating habits. In the meantime, he will continue to get his abx, medicam, and critical care.

I hope that Gemini will soon be fully better, and eating normally. It’s such a worry when they aren’t right! I’m sending lots of vibes for his dental on Monday xx

After more than two weeks, Gemini still has a minor tilt to his head, but no more eye or head movements. He still is not eating much on his own and when I weighed him he lost a few ounces so he weighs less than he ever weighed in the time he has been mine. Gemini has chronic dental issues, and prior to his head tilt/infection he was already slowing down on his eating. He would have had a dental already had he not developed the awful head tilt, eye/head movements, and balance issues. Therefore, I called the vet and he agreed we need to sedate him and check his teeth. Gemini is scheduled for his dental on Monday and I am asking for some positive vibes that he will soon return to his regular eating habits. In the meantime, he will continue to get his abx, medicam, and critical care.

Positive vibes for Gemini. I hope the sedation doesn't affect his head tilt and that he eats much better after the dental :)

Hi MM,

Today I did not see any nystagmus. Since he is only eating the green tops of organic carrots I went to the store and purchased a few more bunches. I was glad they had some because they are not always available with the green tops. The cashier sees the carrots, dandelions, and some other greens and commented on my healthy choices!!! Some people are so judgmental that I am reluctant to tell people I do not know well that I am purchasing them for my pet bunnies. In this world there is so much evil that it is upsetting when some people make mean comments about the level of care I give my pets which is harmless (other than to my pocketbook) even if it is not something they would do themselves. That is why I am so thankful for the people on RU.

I have never had derogatory comments about the veg I buy, and I buy a spectacular amount of greenstuff! Yes people can say 'lucky rabbits' and I believe they are indeed lucky to be living with me as they enjoy 24/7 freedom and great food and medical care. But making mean comments - why? I don't like mean comments wherever I find them, and I tend to ignore them and feel sorry for the perpetrator.

Good on you for the carrot tops and dandies :D

Gemini had his dental today. He had points growing upward, but long, on the inside of his lower teeth on both his right and left side. He is still sore from the procedure and not wanting to eat much on his own. I am continuing his pain meds and will syringe feed and/or give fluids as needed to supplement the meager amount he is eating on his own.

Gemini had his dental today. He had points growing upward, but long, on the inside of his lower teeth on both his right and left side. He is still sore from the procedure and not wanting to eat much on his own. I am continuing his pain meds and will syringe feed and/or give fluids as needed to supplement the meager amount he is eating on his own.

Poor little chap :cry: I hope that his mouth will soon feel less sore and that he will then eat a lot more for himself xx

I hope that Gemini's mouth soon feels a lot less sore and also that he starts to eat more for himself.

I hope the dental works it's magic and that he's eating more on his own soon x

Jane, Zoobec, Omi, and MM,

Following his Dental, Gemini continues to improve in regards to his eating. Today he crunched some of his bunny pellets and he ate all his greens and some hay. I am also pleased that his head tilt, balance issues are still being controlled by the abx which he will continue to receive for a few more weeks.

I’m glad he is eating better, and that his head tilt is being managed. Topping up the vibes xx

Jane, Zoobec, Omi, and MM,

Following his Dental, Gemini continues to improve in regards to his eating. Today he crunched some of his bunny pellets and he ate all his greens and some hay. I am also pleased that his head tilt, balance issues are still being controlled by the abx which he will continue to receive for a few more weeks.

Lovely to read of an improvement :)

Vibes ongoing for complete recovery.

Back