• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Regular anaesthetics

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Naturally I'm worried about how frequently Boo will require GA's & about any toxic build up - for want of another expression.

Does anyone have any positive experiences of rabbits coping with GA's over an extended perod? Or know of any good reading? Or any ideas's about specific nutritional support I can give her to help?

TIA

Naturally I'm worried about how frequently Boo will require GA's & about any toxic build up - for want of another expression.

Does anyone have any positive experiences of rabbits coping with GA's over an extended perod? Or know of any good reading? Or any ideas's about specific nutritional support I can give her to help?

TIA

I have had a few Rabbits who had repeated GAs and they all coped well. Some of the Rabbits were elderly (9+) and/or had longterm health problems. Two had heart disease, Inspector Morse being one of them In more recent times the GA drug protocol has greatly improved and the drugs used usually have a more rapid clearance rate.

https://www.canonburyvets.com/news/2015/01/05/rabbit-anaesthesia-the-gold-standard

Fluid therapy during and after a GA is also hugely beneficial.

You could request that the Vet runs a full blood profile prior to the next GA. This would give the Vet a baseline to work from regarding Boo's Kidney/Liver function. This could then be monitored as and when your Vet deemed it to be necessary.

I have had a few Rabbits who had repeated GAs and they all coped well. Some of the Rabbits were elderly (9+) and/or had longterm health problems. Two had heart disease, Inspector Morse being one of them In more recent times the GA drug protocol has greatly improved and the drugs used usually have a more rapid clearance rate.

https://www.canonburyvets.com/news/2015/01/05/rabbit-anaesthesia-the-gold-standard

Fluid therapy during and after a GA is also hugely beneficial.

You could request that the Vet runs a full blood profile prior to the next GA. This would give the Vet a baseline to work from regarding Boo's Kidney/Liver function. This could then be monitored as and when your Vet deemed it to be necessary.

Thanks Jane. How many GAs did Morse & your other buns have would you estimate? Noodley had 7 or 8 which I used to find impressive but now I find scary as that would be Boo's each year. Its reassuring that they can cope well. I read the GA mortality rate is around 1-2% . I'll read that link now

Forgot to say we did her bloods prior to 1st GA- Oct / Nov time. Definitely want to repeat them regularly but can't every time, same for xrays really. Hopefully I'll be able to get bloods & xrays done this time. I want to know where this infection has come from

Thanks Jane. How many GAs did Morse & your other buns have would you estimate? Noodley had 7 or 8 which I used to find impressive but now I find scary as that would be Boo's each year. Its reassuring that they can cope well. I read the GA mortality rate is around 1-2% . I'll read that link now

Crikey I lost count of the number of GAs Morse had, 20 easily. Another Bun, Major Tom who was 11-12 had severe Dental Disease and he sailed through frequent GA/Dentals. He would be trying to eat before he could even stand up !!

Crikey I lost count of the number of GAs Morse had, 20 easily. Another Bun, Major Tom who was 11-12 had severe Dental Disease and he sailed through frequent GA/Dentals. He would be trying to eat before he could even stand up !!

My vet said the same of boo last time she was in. The nurse went to syringe feed her & she ragged the syringe out of her hand :lol:

[/B]

My vet said the same of boo last time she was in. The nurse went to syringe feed her & she ragged the syringe out of her hand :lol:

She'll be expecting to be given a menu to choose her post op' meal next time !! And she'll be demanding not to be kept waiting :lol:

[/B]

A very good sign :)

Repeated GAs can work fine for some rabbits, but I've had a fair few people contact me for advice when the rabbit didn't sufficiently recover before the next GA was due. Then a thinking cap is needed :thumb:

Back