• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gaining weight

Alicia

Mama Doe
Izzy has become quite frail, she’s been backwards and forward to the vet and is on metacam but she’s very old and ha become quite frail. The vet said to feed her whatever she wants at this point and she’s eating well. She is eating hay and readigrass and her veg and loves her pellets. She lives with Beans who’s only a year old. If I separate them to feed them they don’t eat until I put them back together. I’ve been giving them lots of pellets to help Izzy gain weight (they always have hay and readigrass but it’s not helped Izzy gain weight although she does eat it) I don’t mind if Beans gets overweight as I can sort that but is there anything that will help Izzy gain weight? I know pellets aren’t the healthiest but her health isn’t great at this point and I hate how thin she is :( she has been to the vets multiple times and I think she’s just getting old and her health is failing a bit

I had this issue with Tan and her son, Tethra and I also found that they would just not eat separately. What Tan would do though, was to accept anything that I hand-fed her and so each time she was by herself in the run or shed I gave her a FibaFirst stick or two. This meant that, although she was still borderline underweight, she wasn't losing any more and maintained that weight. If Izzy would also accept this, you could have a pot of junior rabbit pellets, which have a higher calorific value, and feed her one or two by hand. I think that some people give oats as a way of maintaining weight.

Back