Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think my bun is incontinent

Default I think my bun is incontinent

Hello, really need some advice.

I have two girls Milly and Mia.

After about a month of living together, Mia humped Milly's head and got just inside I groin ripped open by Milly. She even got some of the muscle.

After being stitched up they have been separated. But I do let them hang out while I'm sat on the bed with them to keep a close eye. (They still love each other, but I can't risk them living together now)

Anyways, ever since Mia seemed to me weeing everywhere all the time. In her litter tray and just on the floor in her cage.

She's now got a puppy pen with lino as her flooring as I need to mop it up all the time. It stinks otherwise and she gets overed in it. Less and less seems to end up in the litter tray.

I'm really worried she's incontinent. She hates being picked up, but never peed while I was doing it. Until this morning. She was kicking so it went everywhere.

And I've been watching her all day and sometimes she just hops there is a little dribble. Sometimes it looks like full blown puddle like she couldn't be bothered to use the litter tray.

I don't know if the injury would have caused anything. But I have already spent so much money with the stitches, new cage etc.

I just really need some advice before taking her to the vet and she costs me another small fortune.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
    Its greatly appreciated.

Sent from my P2 using Tapatalk

Hello

It is impossible to say for certain what is causing Mia's urinary problems. There are several possibilities including a urine tract infection,bladder 'sludge'/stones, kidney problems, damage done to the structure of her urinary tract as a result of the fight injury, a problem related to a protozoal parasitic condition (Encephalitozoon Cuniculi- 'EC'). It could be hormonal/behavioural if she is not spayed.

The only appropriate advice I feel able to offer is for you to take Mia back to the Vet. Only a full examination and appropriate diagnostics will get to the root of the cause of her problems.

These links may be useful to read, but they are no substitute for further Veterinary attention

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen...continence.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...enceRabbit.htm

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-are...ion/e-cuniculi

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen...olithiasis.htm

I hope that your Vet can help, good luck x

I cannot add anything to Jane's post.
    How old are your girls? They are lovely.

I agree with Jane, best to get her checked out. You haven’t mentioned whether she gets her self wet on her bum and inside legs when she wees, which would indicate incontinence.

Bear in mind that this could also be territorial behaviour, especially if you keep them near each other. She could be marking her territory as currently she is not bonded to her former friend so sees her as an outsider. I wouldn’t let them have time together, even supervised, unless you are going to bond them again. Spending time with a bunny that does not live with them full time can be stressful for them and also cause them to mark their territory excessively (lose their litter training).
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM (OR ASK ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES).

Thank you very much everyone. I'm 50/50 about the incontinence now. Rather than 80% sure.

Ive looked up about how to re bond. But I'm too scared to because if Milly humping Mia, Mia runs away. But if Mia humps Milly, Milly sits there getting annoyed and you can see her getting ready to bite. Or she just gets away and starts to fight her.

I had Milly first, she was meant to be a new friend for my first two Luna and Harvey (brother and sister). One died and the other was pining. It didn't work (Milly liked her but she was no replacement for Lunas brother) and she died.
    Not wanting you leave Milly alone I got Mia.
    But now I'm wondering if that was a mistake. Milly is very bonded to me and my boyfriend. Mia can take us or leave us currently.

They groom through the bars and lay together through the bars.
    But after some time together (if i try to start the bonding) the humping starts.
    I know if I'm not going to bond them I'll have to separate their cages.

I'm kinda at my wits end.

Sorry for all of this.

I've always had success with bunnies. So I'm very frustrated. And desperate need for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    I cannot add anything to Jane's post.
    How old are your girls? They are lovely.
    Milly the White and ginger is about 8 months now Mia is about 5.
    They are both gorgeous, but Milly looks like a cuddly toy haha.

Quote Originally Posted by emmj1011 View Post
    Thank you very much everyone. I'm 50/50 about the incontinence now. Rather than 80% sure.

Ive looked up about how to re bond. But I'm too scared to because if Milly humping Mia, Mia runs away. But if Mia humps Milly, Milly sits there getting annoyed and you can see her getting ready to bite. Or she just gets away and starts to fight her.

I had Milly first, she was meant to be a new friend for my first two Luna and Harvey (brother and sister). One died and the other was pining. It didn't work (Milly liked her but she was no replacement for Lunas brother) and she died.
    Not wanting you leave Milly alone I got Mia.
    But now I'm wondering if that was a mistake. Milly is very bonded to me and my boyfriend. Mia can take us or leave us currently.

They groom through the bars and lay together through the bars.
    But after some time together (if i try to start the bonding) the humping starts.
    I know if I'm not going to bond them I'll have to separate their cages.

I'm kinda at my wits end.

Sorry for all of this.

I've always had success with bunnies. So I'm very frustrated. And desperate need for advice.

Are both Does spayed ? If not then IMO it is very unlikely that you will get them to live together in harmony. Personally I would not even attempt to try again if either of them are still entire x

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Are both Does spayed ? If not then IMO it is very unlikely that you will get them to live together in harmony. Personally I would not even attempt to try again if either of them are still entire x
    Hi Jane,

No they aren't. My vet advised that its much more invasive for a doe and that its more risky.

(Sigh) I guess I'll just try and bond with her and hope she attaches to me eventually.

Many thanks

Hi Jane,

No they aren't. My vet advised that its much more invasive for a doe and that its more risky.

(Sigh) I guess I'll just try and bond with her and hope she attaches to me eventually.

Many thanks

Hi there

I understand your reticence re the spaying, but it's really a good idea to get them done by a very rabbit savvy vet (when you have the funds to do so!)

Some info here:

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/neutering/

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

Although it's not proven that a doe will get uterine cancer if she isn't spayed, the likelihood is much greater if so.

By the way your rabbits are absolutely adorable
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

Hi Jane,

Many thanks

Whilst a spay is more invasive than a straightforward castration it is not nearly as risky these days as it may once have been .GA protocols have evolved and become much safer. A 'Rabbit Savvy Vet' would spay hundreds, if not thousands of Does over the years and losses under GA are actually relatively rare.

Whilst spaying a Doe is entirely a personal decision for the owner, it is something I would always advise. I have seen first hand the effects of Uterine Adenocarcinoma in Does and it is not a nice experience.

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund have a lot of good information and advice on their website, including facts about neutering and also how to know if you have a 'Rabbit Savvy' Vet. I'd take a look around the site and maybe have another think about getting your Does spayed

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/