• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think my bun is incontinent

emmj1011

New Kit
Hello, really need some advice.

I have two girls Milly and Mia.

After about a month of living together, Mia humped Milly's head and got just inside I groin ripped open by Milly. She even got some of the muscle.

After being stitched up they have been separated. But I do let them hang out while I'm sat on the bed with them to keep a close eye. (They still love each other, but I can't risk them living together now)

Anyways, ever since Mia seemed to me weeing everywhere all the time. In her litter tray and just on the floor in her cage.

She's now got a puppy pen with lino as her flooring as I need to mop it up all the time. It stinks otherwise and she gets overed in it. Less and less seems to end up in the litter tray.

I'm really worried she's incontinent. She hates being picked up, but never peed while I was doing it. Until this morning. She was kicking so it went everywhere.

And I've been watching her all day and sometimes she just hops there is a little dribble. Sometimes it looks like full blown puddle like she couldn't be bothered to use the litter tray.

I don't know if the injury would have caused anything. But I have already spent so much money with the stitches, new cage etc.

I just really need some advice before taking her to the vet and she costs me another small fortune.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Its greatly appreciated.
9f0e855cceca966854304de77269c8dd.jpg
c4e3c227ed43e13d3677e316b888b499.jpg

Sent from my P2 using Tapatalk

Hello

It is impossible to say for certain what is causing Mia's urinary problems. There are several possibilities including a urine tract infection,bladder 'sludge'/stones, kidney problems, damage done to the structure of her urinary tract as a result of the fight injury, a problem related to a protozoal parasitic condition (Encephalitozoon Cuniculi- 'EC'). It could be hormonal/behavioural if she is not spayed.

The only appropriate advice I feel able to offer is for you to take Mia back to the Vet. Only a full examination and appropriate diagnostics will get to the root of the cause of her problems.

These links may be useful to read, but they are no substitute for further Veterinary attention

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Differentials/Incontinence.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/UrinaryIncontinenceRabbit.htm

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm

I hope that your Vet can help, good luck x

I agree with Jane, best to get her checked out. You haven’t mentioned whether she gets her self wet on her bum and inside legs when she wees, which would indicate incontinence.

Bear in mind that this could also be territorial behaviour, especially if you keep them near each other. She could be marking her territory as currently she is not bonded to her former friend so sees her as an outsider. I wouldn’t let them have time together, even supervised, unless you are going to bond them again. Spending time with a bunny that does not live with them full time can be stressful for them and also cause them to mark their territory excessively (lose their litter training).

Thank you very much everyone. I'm 50/50 about the incontinence now. Rather than 80% sure.

Ive looked up about how to re bond. But I'm too scared to because if Milly humping Mia, Mia runs away. But if Mia humps Milly, Milly sits there getting annoyed and you can see her getting ready to bite. Or she just gets away and starts to fight her.

I had Milly first, she was meant to be a new friend for my first two Luna and Harvey (brother and sister). One died and the other was pining. It didn't work (Milly liked her but she was no replacement for Lunas brother) and she died.
Not wanting you leave Milly alone I got Mia.
But now I'm wondering if that was a mistake. Milly is very bonded to me and my boyfriend. Mia can take us or leave us currently.

They groom through the bars and lay together through the bars.
But after some time together (if i try to start the bonding) the humping starts.
I know if I'm not going to bond them I'll have to separate their cages.

I'm kinda at my wits end.

Sorry for all of this.

I've always had success with bunnies. So I'm very frustrated. And desperate need for advice.
839a53250c4adf9c3c5b5f68431180da.jpg
3e9374db3a32dd6cf19b1540591a79a6.jpg

Thank you very much everyone. I'm 50/50 about the incontinence now. Rather than 80% sure.

Ive looked up about how to re bond. But I'm too scared to because if Milly humping Mia, Mia runs away. But if Mia humps Milly, Milly sits there getting annoyed and you can see her getting ready to bite. Or she just gets away and starts to fight her.

I had Milly first, she was meant to be a new friend for my first two Luna and Harvey (brother and sister). One died and the other was pining. It didn't work (Milly liked her but she was no replacement for Lunas brother) and she died.
Not wanting you leave Milly alone I got Mia.
But now I'm wondering if that was a mistake. Milly is very bonded to me and my boyfriend. Mia can take us or leave us currently.

They groom through the bars and lay together through the bars.
But after some time together (if i try to start the bonding) the humping starts.
I know if I'm not going to bond them I'll have to separate their cages.

I'm kinda at my wits end.

Sorry for all of this.

I've always had success with bunnies. So I'm very frustrated. And desperate need for advice.
839a53250c4adf9c3c5b5f68431180da.jpg
3e9374db3a32dd6cf19b1540591a79a6.jpg

Are both Does spayed ? If not then IMO it is very unlikely that you will get them to live together in harmony. Personally I would not even attempt to try again if either of them are still entire x

Are both Does spayed ? If not then IMO it is very unlikely that you will get them to live together in harmony. Personally I would not even attempt to try again if either of them are still entire x
Hi Jane,

No they aren't. My vet advised that its much more invasive for a doe and that its more risky.

(Sigh) I guess I'll just try and bond with her and hope she attaches to me eventually.

Many thanks

Hi Jane,

No they aren't. My vet advised that its much more invasive for a doe and that its more risky.

(Sigh) I guess I'll just try and bond with her and hope she attaches to me eventually.

Many thanks

Hi there :wave:

I understand your reticence re the spaying, but it's really a good idea to get them done by a very rabbit savvy vet (when you have the funds to do so!)

Some info here:

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/neutering/

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

Although it's not proven that a doe will get uterine cancer if she isn't spayed, the likelihood is much greater if so.

By the way your rabbits are absolutely adorable :love:

Hi Jane,

Many thanks

Whilst a spay is more invasive than a straightforward castration it is not nearly as risky these days as it may once have been .GA protocols have evolved and become much safer. A 'Rabbit Savvy Vet' would spay hundreds, if not thousands of Does over the years and losses under GA are actually relatively rare.

Whilst spaying a Doe is entirely a personal decision for the owner, it is something I would always advise. I have seen first hand the effects of Uterine Adenocarcinoma in Does and it is not a nice experience.

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund have a lot of good information and advice on their website, including facts about neutering and also how to know if you have a 'Rabbit Savvy' Vet. I'd take a look around the site and maybe have another think about getting your Does spayed

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Whilst a spay is more invasive than a straightforward castration it is not nearly as risky these days as it may once have been .GA protocols have evolved and become much safer. A 'Rabbit Savvy Vet' would spay hundreds, if not thousands of Does over the years and losses under GA are actually relatively rare.

Whilst spaying a Doe is entirely a personal decision for the owner, it is something I would always advise. I have seen first hand the effects of Uterine Adenocarcinoma in Does and it is not a nice experience.

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund have a lot of good information and advice on their website, including facts about neutering and also how to know if you have a 'Rabbit Savvy' Vet. I'd take a look around the site and maybe have another think about getting your Does spayed

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/
Oh I'll definitely get the spayed. But with it being about £140 per bun. Ill have to do it over a couple of months. Mia does have some behavioral issues so I will definitely be getting her done first.

Oh I'll definitely get the spayed. But with it being about £140 per bun. Ill have to do it over a couple of months. Mia does have some behavioral issues so I will definitely be getting her done first.

That's quite expensive. You can always shop around rabbit savvy vets. I paid about £80 for my last female spay ... :) And that's at a top class vet :)

That's quite expensive. You can always shop around rabbit savvy vets. I paid about £80 for my last female spay ... :) And that's at a top class vet :)
Hmm, right OK. We are surrounded by vets where I live so maybe I'll shop around.

That was a quote from my local vet. But they don't see many buns. So I probably wouldn't take them their anyway.

Hmm, right OK. We are surrounded by vets where I live so maybe I'll shop around.

That was a quote from my local vet. But they don't see many buns. So I probably wouldn't take them their anyway.

Yes you really need a trusted vet.

If you want to find a good vet in your area then you can start another thread in Rabbit Chat with the header:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location)

...and members will help you out with their recommendations.

Alternatively you could look here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/vets-owners-recommendations

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

It looks like you’ll have to get them both spayed, or I doubt they’ll get on well long-term as they’ve already fought. Not sure if you mean one is 5 months or 5 years, but if 5 years then you need to get it done asap.

In the meantime, I would recommend moving the one that keeps peeing everywhere to another room, away from the other. Put the litter tray where she wees most, get a couple if need be, and wipe up any wee not in the trays with white vinegar, at least twice a day. Pick up stray poops as well. Keep hay just in the trays, and make sure trays are large enough to be comfy in (not corner trays). If she was just marking her territory, then after a couple of weeks she should start peeing in one or two main areas rather than everywhere.

I’d still think about taking her to a vet though if you think she is actually incontinent. Could be an infection that needs treating.

No 5 months.
I would never leave it that long (5 yes). Only reason I'm being hesitant is because I got made redundant.
I have moved her for now. As soon as I can spend £200 on getting them both done I will. But I feel Mia is the priority as she is the one with behavioral issues.
She had a check up today and not incontinent. Think I was just scared she was really injured (further) after the fight.
But otherwise she is a happy healthy bun.
Thank you everyone for your advice.

No 5 months.
I would never leave it that long (5 yes). Only reason I'm being hesitant is because I got made redundant.
I have moved her for now. As soon as I can spend £200 on getting them both done I will. But I feel Mia is the priority as she is the one with behavioral issues.
She had a check up today and not incontinent. Think I was just scared she was really injured (further) after the fight.

You're welcome :)

Glad all is well :)

No 5 months.

I hope all goes well for your girls from now on. I am very sorry to read of your recent redundancy, I hope that you will be able to find alternative employment soon xx

No 5 months.

Glad to hear she is healthy, it must be a weight off your mind! I would guess that it is territorial marking then, so I guess you either have the option of keeping them side-by-side so they have some sort of company and putting up with the weeing everywhere, or taking one to another room to prevent them being so territorial.

They’re both young so, whilst they can’t be together till they’re spayed, at least you have lots of time to get them done. A lot of vets prefer to neuter after 6 months anyway, and you could use the time to find a vet that is more confident doing the procedure. :)

Back