• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Arthritis or E. cuniculi?

Amy.

Alpha Buck
Hi all!

Leo is now 9 years old. 2 months ago I noticed he would occasionally sit with his right hind leg sticking out slightly, taking the weight off it - he would still use it normally when moving. This has progressed to the point where he now has the leg almost fully extended forward pretty much all the time when he is at rest. He has got quite wobbly when hopping and sometimes seems to almost trip over his legs if he 'pivots' or turns tightly. He sometimes falls over if he is spooked and turns to run quickly :( I went to the vets a month ago and the vet diagnosed arthritis after examination (no x ray) and he is on Loxicom 2x a day. Clearly this hasn't stopped him sticking the leg out. She also noted he has little muscle on his back end.

I have been reading old threads on here tonight to see what else I could do (or if it's time to call it a day) and came across several posts where E. cuniculi has been mentioned. Does this seem like it could be a contributing factor here given Leo's symptoms? He has no head tilt or other clear E.c symptoms, but the unilateral nature of his problems has made me wonder (I don't doubt the vets diagnosis of arthritis given his age and general stiffness of movement). Does E. c seem like a possibility, or does arthritis plus muscle loss cover it?

Thanks all - will discuss with vet also, just thought it might be worth asking here as I've only come across this possibility tonight. It's also getting to the point where I wonder whether he's doing more damage by sitting in such an unnatural position, and perhaps it would be kinder to let him go before this gets worse.

Hi all!

Leo is now 9 years old. 2 months ago I noticed he would occasionally sit with his right hind leg sticking out slightly, taking the weight off it - he would still use it normally when moving. This has progressed to the point where he now has the leg almost fully extended forward pretty much all the time when he is at rest. He has got quite wobbly when hopping and sometimes seems to almost trip over his legs if he 'pivots' or turns tightly. He sometimes falls over if he is spooked and turns to run quickly :( I went to the vets a month ago and the vet diagnosed arthritis after examination (no x ray) and he is on Loxicom 2x a day. Clearly this hasn't stopped him sticking the leg out. She also noted he has little muscle on his back end.

I have been reading old threads on here tonight to see what else I could do (or if it's time to call it a day) and came across several posts where E. cuniculi has been mentioned. Does this seem like it could be a contributing factor here given Leo's symptoms? He has no head tilt or other clear E.c symptoms, but the unilateral nature of his problems has made me wonder (I don't doubt the vets diagnosis of arthritis given his age and general stiffness of movement). Does E. c seem like a possibility, or does arthritis plus muscle loss cover it?

Thanks all - will discuss with vet also, just thought it might be worth asking here as I've only come across this possibility tonight. It's also getting to the point where I wonder whether he's doing more damage by sitting in such an unnatural position, and perhaps it would be kinder to let him go before this gets worse.

Hi Amy :)

I'm sorry I didn't see your post last night.

Regarding Leo, it does sound very much like arthritis. I sometimes find that Metacam alone isn't enough to cover the pain of arthritis, and I add in Tramadol, which if it can be tolerated, is a really good pain killer. Sometimes it's a good idea to use it in conjunction with Ranitidine, to make sure the stomach is protected :)

The other thing I found useful was anabolic steroid injections. This is not the same as a corticosteroid, as it boosts the muscle mass and enhances appetite. Gentle massage and physiotherapy can also be useful in cases of muscle wastage.

Supplement wise, you could think about glucosamine ..... some info here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ne-for-arthritis-in-a-rabbit-Update-Relapse-(

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Bone_diseases/Osteo/arthritis.htm

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/arthritis.html

My vet provides acupuncture and cold laser therapy as treatment options, and for some rabbits they can work very well. But each rabbit is different, so what suits one may not be right for another.

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/acupuncture/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/laser-therapy-amazing/

http://www.helpinghandsvetphysio.co.uk/rabbits/

Last but not least, I have found most beneficial to use a heated pad or mat. This can ease the pain of arthritis and sore bones and be extremely comforting.

Do PM me if I can help with any of the above or in any other way :)

Last edited:
Hi,just seen your post Amy. I recently found through vet x raying her that Harriet has arthritis in her spine and for her the Metacam is working wonders. From being hunched up when she was sleeping she can now stretch out quite a bit even able to lie on her rear hip one side or the other. M Max’s advice is really very good but I hope the Metacam is sufficientfor Leo.

Back