• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it ok to get two male baby rabbits?

Hazel172

New Kit
We are getting two 8 week old male rabbits and plan on getting them neutered asap.We have been told it's fine to do that but someone else has said it's not a good idea. Anyone done it?

If the rabbits are from the same litter, it may work as long as you get them neutered as soon as their balls drop (around 12 weeks old). But bear in mind that sometimes siblings don’t always get along as adults, so make sure you are prepared with a backup option - i.e you may have to split them and then get each a spayed female bunny friend, so you’d end up with 2 separate pairs of bunnies.

Before you decide to get them I would also check with your vet when they would be happy to neuter them. Some vets won’t neuter until a particular weight or 6 months old, and by that age they are very likely to be fighting if not yet neutered.

For a more reliable pairing, I’d recommend adopting a pair that are already neutered, from a rescue. We are adopting a female rabbit who is currently being bonded with our boy, she is only 16 weeks old so still only a baby really but she has already been spayed, and a male & female pair are more likely to get on. It is also cost effective because she has already been neutered and vaccinated, which would have cost us about £210 to do, but the rescue paid for that and we just pay the adoption fee of £35.

Last edited:
Another thumbs up for getting a bonded pair from a rescue.
However if you are committed to getting a pair from the breeder, please get the sex checked with your vet, it is not unusual for mistakes to happen

The chances of 2 boys falling out are high unfortunately. Why not get one boy, wait until he is old enough to be neutered, then find a suitable female to bond with him. This way there should be no mistakes regarding mis-sexing.

Back