• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lady Peepee aka Pippin is still peeing outside their box!

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Lady Peepee as she is now nicknamed is still peeing outside the litter box at night. It's generally one pee and right next to it.

I thought I'd cracked it by giving them a big storage box, so there's more room and by extending their pen a little to include an area they used to have before we moved them last year. (In case it was a territory thing)

You can see on the picture it's the white area on the black felt. It's there right next to the tray.

Before I swapped the trays it was where the yellow felt is.

They have lino under the white fleece, but they both slip on it. So I'm having to wash the blanket daily, which is a faff.

Other things I'm wondering about trying are...

Put a second litter tray there.

Cleaning their tray daily. Although I have to put some smelly litter back in, she seems to prefer it that way. So not sure if she'd get worse?

Or accept it's just her way of saying Mummy I hate it when you put me away at night so I'm going to pee.

Help me with my adorable peeing monster. Xx
bdee15ee4c4e8e4f32fcceb9e6d3a16c.jpg
23569da26af8eba0bdc8b6668f843142.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Could she be having trouble hopping into the litter box ? If you made a small cut out at the side of the box so she does not have to jump so high to get into it that may help. If it does I'd be looking into why she may find higher hops difficult/uncomfortable. Hip/spinal discomfort can be one possible cause.

Hi Mervinius, and firstly may I say how gorgeous your 'naughty monster' is...!

I'm going to guess that Madame PeePee has been spayed (I'm only checking because it totally solved the hormonally-led poor toilet habits with my new nethie, for those that remember the thread; she was spraying like a buck when her hormones kicked in!)...?
How old is she? : )

I can totally empathise with the process you're going through. If it's any consolation, I went through very similar :roll: I was so frustrated by constantly mopping up and spraying vinegar on the carpet!
I ended up moving the tray to exactly where she had pee'd overnight, (because I daftly felt she was telling me she wanted to go there!), and putting a second tray down in the other room to prevent mishaps when she was out and feeling naughty.
...it *did* solve it though, she is happier peeing where she has 'chosen' the tray to be, and now only goes in the tray.

Do have faith, this is totally solvable!

Good luck x x

Could she be having trouble hopping into the litter box ? If you made a small cut out at the side of the box so she does not have to jump so high to get into it that may help. If it does I'd be looking into why she may find higher hops difficult/uncomfortable. Hip/spinal discomfort can be one possible cause.
Hi Jane.

Nope it's not that she was doing it before with their blue tray which had much lower sides, it was a cat litter tray.

She can jump onto our sofa armrest in one leap, so no problems there!

Good idea though.

Hi Mervinius, and firstly may I say how gorgeous your 'naughty monster' is...!

I'm going to guess that Madame PeePee has been spayed (I'm only checking because it totally solved the hormonally-led poor toilet habits with my new nethie, for those that remember the thread; she was spraying like a buck when her hormones kicked in!)...?
How old is she? : )

I can totally empathise with the process you're going through. If it's any consolation, I went through very similar :roll: I was so frustrated by constantly mopping up and spraying vinegar on the carpet!
I ended up moving the tray to exactly where she had pee'd overnight, (because I daftly felt she was telling me she wanted to go there!), and putting a second tray down in the other room to prevent mishaps when she was out and feeling naughty.
...it *did* solve it though, she is happier peeing where she has 'chosen' the tray to be, and now only goes in the tray.

Do have faith, this is totally solvable!

Good luck x x
Hi Squishies...

Aww thanks. I think she knows what a gorgeous monster she is. Haha

Yes she is spayed but still territorial. She is very keen on marking everything as hers and leaving pellets whenever I clean their pen! She will pee on anything new made of fabric that i put in their pen....

And i thought Archie being a boy would be the territorial one. Pah.

She is now 2 years old and has never been wonderful at peeing in the right place, but I think a lot of it was down to me putting hay on the floor I think she got confused about what was a litter tray.

We've stopped doing that and so it's only this issue left.

She does 99% of her pees in the toilet it's just one big one next to it. Haha.

Im glad you've solved your nethie's peeing issue.

I've just cleaned them out and have put two litter trays next to each other. They are both sat in one each chewing away....

Maybe this will solve it.. fingers crossed.

Lady Peepee as she is now nicknamed is still peeing outside the litter box at night. It's generally one pee and right next to it.

I thought I'd cracked it by giving them a big storage box, so there's more room and by extending their pen a little to include an area they used to have before we moved them last year. (In case it was a territory thing)

You can see on the picture it's the white area on the black felt. It's there right next to the tray.

Before I swapped the trays it was where the yellow felt is.

They have lino under the white fleece, but they both slip on it. So I'm having to wash the blanket daily, which is a faff.

Other things I'm wondering about trying are...

Put a second litter tray there.

Cleaning their tray daily. Although I have to put some smelly litter back in, she seems to prefer it that way. So not sure if she'd get worse?

Or accept it's just her way of saying Mummy I hate it when you put me away at night so I'm going to pee.

Help me with my adorable peeing monster. Xx
bdee15ee4c4e8e4f32fcceb9e6d3a16c.jpg
23569da26af8eba0bdc8b6668f843142.jpg

So ... having recovered from cuteness swoon :love: I would ask whether she's had an X-ray to see whether there's any bladder sludge? This can cause the problem you indicate - sorry if you've been through all this already with young Pip.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm

Also, has the urine been examined in a lab? (I think it has??)

So ... having recovered from cuteness swoon :love: I would ask whether she's had an X-ray to see whether there's any bladder sludge? This can cause the problem you indicate - sorry if you've been through all this already with young Pip.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm

Also, has the urine been examined in a lab? (I think it has??)
Hey MM

Sorry for lack of cuteness warning.

Vets have said she's one of the healthiest buns they've seen. She's had blood tests a urine tests and got the all clear. So it's not medical.

Hey MM

Sorry for lack of cuteness warning.

Vets have said she's one of the healthiest buns they've seen. She's had blood tests a urine tests and got the all clear. So it's not medical.

I'm sure your vet is correct, but in a case I had recently the advice was to X-ray for crystals/sediment in the bladder which can cause irritation. There's no way of seeing that except through X-ray.

If it's behavioural, then hopefully it can be addressed .... Hopefully!!

I'm sure your vet is correct, but in a case I had recently the advice was to X-ray for crystals/sediment in the bladder which can cause irritation. There's no way of seeing that except through X-ray.

If it's behavioural, then hopefully it can be addressed .... Hopefully!!
I did ask about it when we had all the other issues with fur pulling and stasis etc. They didn't see any other symptoms, so said it wasn't that. I know you can't be sure without and x-ray but we decided not to put her through anything else.

I would have thought she'd pee more erratically if it was that. This is only at night time.

I did wonder if she didn't like the lights being switched off. But thought that was silly. :-(

I did ask about it when we had all the other issues with fur pulling and stasis etc. They didn't see any other symptoms, so said it wasn't that. I know you can't be sure without and x-ray but we decided not to put her through anything else.

I would have thought she'd pee more erratically if it was that. This is only at night time.

I did wonder if she didn't like the lights being switched off. But thought that was silly. :-(

From experience, bladder infections can cause odd bits of weeing that exactly mimic behavioural weeing ...

Confusing, isn't it?

From experience, bladder infections can cause odd bits of weeing that exactly mimic behavioural weeing ...

Confusing, isn't it?
Yes it truly is. Bunnies are fascinating creatures. I've learnt so much this last two years and I know I have lots more to learn.

Update from this morning. I have two lovely giant wees next to their trays. So having to two trays didn't help. :-(

Maybe she doesn't like the dark. Might try leaving a light on tonight. Need to see if I can convince my OH. Lol

Update from this morning. I have two lovely giant wees next to their trays. So having to two trays didn't help. :-(

Maybe she doesn't like the dark. Might try leaving a light on tonight. Need to see if I can convince my OH. Lol

Maybe she does not want to wee in the tray if your other Bun is in it and she doesn't think to hop over to the vacant tray.

Maybe she does not want to wee in the tray if your other Bun is in it and she doesn't think to hop over to the vacant tray.
I don't think so. They 've been sat in them all night munching away.

I tried leaving one curtain open in case it was the dark. Unfortunately something spooked Archie and he thumped and woke us up. We found two wees. So at least I can rule that out.

Im wondering if I need to 're train her? Maybe leave them in their pen for a few days to see if she will still pee at night and if it's linked to their extra freedom.

I have done this once before last year and the night we let them out she leapt straight up and pee d on the sofa! She's never done that before or after....

I don't think so. They 've been sat in them all night munching away.

I tried leaving one curtain open in case it was the dark. Unfortunately something spooked Archie and he thumped and woke us up. We found two wees. So at least I can rule that out.

Im wondering if I need to 're train her? Maybe leave them in their pen for a few days to see if she will still pee at night and if it's linked to their extra freedom.

I have done this once before last year and the night we let them out she leapt straight up and pee d on the sofa! She's never done that before or after....

Certainly re-training wouldn't do any harm. And peeing on the sofa :shock: I wouldn't like that!

Certainly re-training wouldn't do any harm. And peeing on the sofa :shock: I wouldn't like that!
I'll talk to my OH and see what he thinks. Nope I wasn't best pleased. Archie was lying on it relaxing and she peed next to him and hopped off so it looked like he'd done It!!!

I'm starting 're training tonight. Should I leave them in their pen all evening. Or let them out for an hour? I feel so mean. They keep giving my cute bunny eyes and tugging at the pen!

My OH said I won't be able to resist them.

I'm starting 're training tonight. Should I leave them in their pen all evening. Or let them out for an hour? I feel so mean. They keep giving my cute bunny eyes and tugging at the pen!

My OH said I won't be able to resist them.

I'm not good at the small pen idea, for anything really. I don't find it works but many people do ...

I'm not good at the small pen idea, for anything really. I don't find it works but many people do ...
I caved! They are out. Well the pen is down but the are inside their area eating hay. Lol they just hate having it there.

Archie becomes a Tasmanian devil when he wants out. For a tiny bun he can definitely shake and move that pen around.!

Going to just look at sorting their flooring out to be easy to clean. Got some good ideas from my other post. :)

Back