Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Bonding Method - Advice Please

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I'm probably the wrong person to ask as I've never done the living next to each other thing; I've always got my bunny from rescue & started bonding straight away & stuck with it til its done. My first instinct would be to try Caramel with new bun soon after he arrives. It might be that its instant love & a really uneventful bond - if it was super calm, no chasing or humping, it wouldn't really make sense to do anything but let them stay together. You'll get a really good gauge on how to proceed after first introductions. Some people believe rabbits in sight s/smell of each other but not able to interact can get frustrated, others believe its a great way to get them used to each other. I myself don't have an opinion as I've no experience.

Timescales kind of go out of the window too - I think how long will depend on how long the bunnies decide to take. You'll just have to see how they go x
    Okay thanks, I'll certainly be watching them VERY closely when he first arrives in our family. Just got to find the right bun now, lots of younger buns in our local rescues, no so many older ones. But I'm sure the right Mr Bunny Right will come along soon.

Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    So my plan is to put them in the bathroom, big pile of hay in the middle covered with lots of munchies like dandelion. Then I'll keep throwing munchies in to distract them. I will end the meetings on a good note, I'm not going to rush so will keep repeating this. If after a few meets all is going well I will clean, neutralise their bedroom, wash all their fleeces etc. I would only do this at a time when I was going to be off work for a while.

I took Toby to the rescue (before I knew about his heart) and I wouldn't if done so if I'd known. I chose maple because she didn't show aggression to him and put her head down to be groomed. Toby didn't respond but i thought it's better than a fight . I would go to the rescue without caramel and look for a bunny who has a nice temperament, ask how they have been around other bunnies at the rescue etc. I think you will know, you'll have a feeling who will be right for her.

I am doing it slowly as I really want it to work and I don't plan on taking maple back if it doesn't work out. But rescues will help you if it doesn't work out for you. I might start bonding bathroom sessions maybe in may as Toby has been stasis a few times so getting his health settled.

Oh and the grid is called NIC grid it's actually designed for shelving units but I honestly wouldn't be without it! I've used it time and time again through the years, it's good also for protecting furniture etc. It's got other names too but I would recommend the metal one , not the colourful one that I have. Metal is better in case of chewing. I hope I answered everything! Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    Thank you! This is such a help. I feel so out of my depth attempting bonding when I'm such a newbie to being a bunny mum. But at the same time I'm absolutely desperate for Caramel to have a companion. Thank you so much for all your help I thought I'd use the bathroom too for their first physical meeting. I LOVE the idea of lots of hay and dandies lol.

So my plan is to put them in the bathroom, big pile of hay in the middle covered with lots of munchies like dandelion. Then I'll keep throwing munchies in to distract them. I will end the meetings on a good note, I'm not going to rush so will keep repeating this. If after a few meets all is going well I will clean, neutralise their bedroom, wash all their fleeces etc. I would only do this at a time when I was going to be off work for a while.

I took Toby to the rescue (before I knew about his heart) and I wouldn't if done so if I'd known. I chose maple because she didn't show aggression to him and put her head down to be groomed. Toby didn't respond but i thought it's better than a fight . I would go to the rescue without caramel and look for a bunny who has a nice temperament, ask how they have been around other bunnies at the rescue etc. I think you will know, you'll have a feeling who will be right for her.

I am doing it slowly as I really want it to work and I don't plan on taking maple back if it doesn't work out. But rescues will help you if it doesn't work out for you. I might start bonding bathroom sessions maybe in may as Toby has been stasis a few times so getting his health settled.

Oh and the grid is called NIC grid it's actually designed for shelving units but I honestly wouldn't be without it! I've used it time and time again through the years, it's good also for protecting furniture etc. It's got other names too but I would recommend the metal one , not the colourful one that I have. Metal is better in case of chewing. I hope I answered everything! Xxx

Can I ask where you got the NIC Grid from? It looks really useful.

Oh and just confirmed today, we're picking Muffy up on Sunday! Long journey but it will be worth it.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/findapet/de...2072734/teaser

He looks lovely Natalie. Safe trip this weekend ! X

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Oh and just confirmed today, we're picking Muffy up on Sunday! Long journey but it will be worth it.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/findapet/de...2072734/teaser
    Oh wow! Good luck I can't remember where I bought them there's a lot of them online xx

Bam & Charlie

Oh wow! Good luck I can't remember where I bought them there's a lot of them online xx

Okay, thanks, I’m sure I’ll find them, Google is my friend lol.

How are Toby and Maple getting along? It really sounds as though things have gone well so far

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Okay, thanks, Iím sure Iíll find them, Google is my friend lol.

How are Toby and Maple getting along? It really sounds as though things have gone well so far
    Well I have no fighting through the bars and I see them mirroring each other.i also took away some toys and obstacles that where around the pen and I've had no fighting. In fact this morning I found them sleeping touching each other through the bars!

Bam & Charlie

Well I have no fighting through the bars and I see them mirroring each other.i also took away some toys and obstacles that where around the pen and I've had no fighting. In fact this morning I found them sleeping touching each other through the bars!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that sounds awesome you are clearly doing a GREAT job! I hope it will be okay to keep asking you questions when our little Muffy gets here. I am so anxious to get things right for my two

awww