• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slow Bonding Method - Advice Please

What about taking them two a neutral place like the bathroom? A smaller space is better, I think the more space you give the more chasing and biting. I'm going to be bonding mine in the bath tub. I know it's worrying because of the heart conditions but maybe it would be less stressful for caramel in the long run? Xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

A little bit of a setback I think, I do hope that I'm not messing everything up :(

Caramel and Mr Muffles have had a few more times together and as long as they are ignoring each other, it's okay, but as soon as they face off, it doesn't seem to go well. At one of their recent meetings when they were face to face, Mr Muffles seemed excited to say hello, but Caramel wasn't having any of it and kind of nose butted him away, not massively aggressively, but not friendly either. This happened a couple of times, then Mr Muffles got the message and backed off. After that Caramel enjoyed hopping about and exploring Mr Muffles' room, while Mr Muffles was content to just sit with me and be stroked. And then after a little while, Caramel hopped back through the gate into her room. So not a bad meet and greet, plus I actually managed to let them sort themselves out without interfering.

This mornings' meet and greet however, did NOT go well :(

It all got very chase and scuffly, mostly Caramel chasing Mr Muffles, and she even managed to pull out a clump of Mr Muffles' fur :( I wasn't a bit happy with the way things were going, and tbh it did seem to be erring on the aggressive side, so I stopped it, and removed Caramel from the situation.

Both rabbits are fine, no injuries that I can see, and both have since been fed and have eaten really well. So no lasting detrimental effects - except perhaps to my nerves :? I'm just feeling such a failure right now. I'll give the two rabbits a bit of a break from the meets and greets for a few days and let the dust settle.

I think if it had just been chasing without the scuffles, I would have coped with it okay, but the scuffles, as if a fight was about to break out, I just didn't feel that I could let that play out as I was so worried that one, or both, of them would get hurt.

I'm thinking of checking with our vets as to whether they might have any links to local bunny bonding experts to see if we might be able to get someone round who might be able to observe a meet and greet or two and help get us back on track.

Any words of advice and encouragement would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks - Natalie

Oh Natalie - your nerves might be shattered by the end of this! It's normal for an owner to worry about these things, but it's very normal for rabbits to sort themselves out in this way also.

I should try and let someone else deal with the bonding for you.

I won't give you loads of 'what I would do' as it's really difficult for a first time bonder to have nerves of steel when this kind of thing happens. When I rehomed a rabbit many years ago, the owner was on the phone to me *for eight solid hours* whilst she bonded the rabbit with her own. I was supplying advice and moral support.

Please don't feel a failure - this is what bunnies do :)

Oh Natalie - your nerves might be shattered by the end of this! It's normal for an owner to worry about these things, but it's very normal for rabbits to sort themselves out in this way also.

I should try and let someone else deal with the bonding for you.

I won't give you loads of 'what I would do' as it's really difficult for a first time bonder to have nerves of steel when this kind of thing happens. When I rehomed a rabbit many years ago, the owner was on the phone to me *for eight solid hours* whilst she bonded the rabbit with her own. I was supplying advice and moral support.

Please don't feel a failure - this is what bunnies do :)
I agree it's so scary

A video sounds like a good idea if you can. As an outsider it sounds like the bunnies are doing normal bunny bonding stuf & it certainly doesn't read like you're a failure.

I can totally empathise with the overwhelming fear of your bunnies hurting each other. I had to keep reminding myself that they are rabbits not people; rabbits that have more sophisticated social behaviours than I have probably :lol:

As Tonibun says they have some working out to do together (not many bunnies will comit to a long term relationship without ironing out some basic rules;)) On average this takes a day or so via the fast bonding method but thats still 24+ hours of dates.

Self doubt is normal but try not to let it take hold, you're doing fine & so are they x

What about taking them two a neutral place like the bathroom? A smaller space is better, I think the more space you give the more chasing and biting. I'm going to be bonding mine in the bath tub. I know it's worrying because of the heart conditions but maybe it would be less stressful for caramel in the long run? Xx

I think this may be the way forward. At least to give it a try and see if it helps. I can put a load of bath mats down on the floor so that the space isn't so slippy. And it is a nice small space, so hopefully that will help. Thanks. How are your two getting on?

Thanks everyone for your reassurances and advice. I always knew it was unlikely to be easy - although I had kind of hoped that it might :lol: - but no, that was not to be. I shall try out some suggestions, and do a whole load more research and reading and keep trying :)

Having just re-read your post, I think maybe Caramel was acting a little bit territorially so using a neutral area could work better.

I think this may be the way forward. At least to give it a try and see if it helps. I can put a load of bath mats down on the floor so that the space isn't so slippy. And it is a nice small space, so hopefully that will help. Thanks. How are your two getting on?
Still in slow bond side by side. Maples having her spay next week so will be bonding when she's recovered :D

Back