Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 109

Thread: Slow Bonding Method - Advice Please

  1. #41
    Mama Doe kattymieoww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Posts
    3,122

    Default

    Lovely boy.

  2. #42
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    HE'S HERE!!!

    He's precious

    Apparently he was in a terrible state, both emotionally and physically, when the RSPCA first got him. But the RSPCA have done a lot for him, got him UTD on vaccinations, neutered, teeth sorted, tear ducts flushed. And his foster mum obviously did a great job caring for him and starting his recovery towards being a happy, healthy boy.

    It's kind of heart breaking to see the damage his previous owner has caused him. I understand that he was a house bunny (lived in a flat) who got massively neglected once the owner had a baby. She put him in a very small bunny crate and honestly, it looks that he just got kind of left there. Judging by how thin he still feels, even after three months in foster care, I wouldn't mind betting that she didn't even bother to feed him some days The lady at the RSPCA told me that when they collected him, his crate was empty of any bedding or enrichment and the water bottle was dripping on the floor, so Muffy was soaking wet. There wasn't even any newspaper down

    Apparently a friend of the previous owners just couldn't bear to see him being so badly cared for so she informed the RSPCA, that's how they got to know about him and got the opportunity to get the previous owner to sign him over to them. No idea what happened to that friendship after that, but hats off to the friend for doing the right thing for Muffy.

    He doesn't seem to lift his head up properly, he's sort of hunched and looking down all the time, and I'm guessing that'll be because the crate was just so damn small Poor baby.

    Anyhoo, he's got lots of space now and he's going to get sooooooooooooooo much love and TLC he won't know what to do with it all

    With regards to the slow bonding. I think so far, so good. For anyone who hasn't read above, the two buns are living side by side in two rooms indoors, with a gate between the two rooms, so the bunnies can see each other and get used to each other without any chance of any scuffles or fighting.

    Muffy seems completely oblivious of Caramel (the RSPCA think that he's never lived with a bunny before) and Caramel seems aware, very slightly inquisitive, but not much, and mostly just not bothered and kind of ignoring him. There hasn't been any aggression between them through the gate. So I'm hoping that those are good signs?

    We have a vet appointment for Muffy on Friday as I would like to discuss his eye problems - he has a blocked tear duct still - and also how to best, and safely, get his weight up. I'm going with little and often at the moment and he goes absolutely crazy for his food! He gives me the impression that he was deprived of food previously because one of our rescue dogs was just the same, she'd been a stray before being picked up by rescue, so she'd definitely been in the position of never knowing when or where her next meal would come from. It was only after six months of being with us that she finally felt secure in the knowledge that she would never go hungry again- instead of gulping down one of her treats like she normally did, she went out in the garden and was tossing the biscuit about and playing with it. It made me cry when I saw her doing that

    I'll get some photos of our precious little boy uploaded soon


    Natalie, I have just caught up with your thread and read this

    Having fostered so many very neglected bunnies for Rescue Centres, my heart breaks for him.

    I hope he can lift his head up high and enjoy a new life and fresh start with you and Caramel and all the love in the world

  3. #43
    Warren Scout Natalie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Shropshire - just moved here from Sussex
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Natalie, I have just caught up with your thread and read this

    Having fostered so many very neglected bunnies for Rescue Centres, my heart breaks for him.

    I hope he can lift his head up high and enjoy a new life and fresh start with you and Caramel and all the love in the world
    Thanks. I do love to just sit with him and stroke him and fuss him. He's so sweet. I'm not sure about his vision, I'm wondering whether there may be more wrong with his eyes then just a blocked tear duct. When I walk into his room with his pellets I think he is not so much excited as completely frantic and rather than looking for the bowl where I put the pellets, he seems to sniff the food out, I can hear him sniffing like our doggies do when they are on the scent of something. And I've seen him bump into things occasionally.

    I can see I'm going to have a LOT of questions for our vet when we take Muffy to see her on Friday.

    But considering all he's been through I think he's doing reasonably well. He's had a good look around everywhere and been investigative, which I see as a good sign

    You're very brave doing fostering, I wish I could, but it's the giving them up bit that I just don't think I could cope with

  4. #44
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Thanks. I do love to just sit with him and stroke him and fuss him. He's so sweet. I'm not sure about his vision, I'm wondering whether there may be more wrong with his eyes then just a blocked tear duct. When I walk into his room with his pellets I think he is not so much excited as completely frantic and rather than looking for the bowl where I put the pellets, he seems to sniff the food out, I can hear him sniffing like our doggies do when they are on the scent of something. And I've seen him bump into things occasionally.

    I can see I'm going to have a LOT of questions for our vet when we take Muffy to see her on Friday.

    But considering all he's been through I think he's doing reasonably well. He's had a good look around everywhere and been investigative, which I see as a good sign

    You're very brave doing fostering, I wish I could, but it's the giving them up bit that I just don't think I could cope with

    I love meeting new faces, making them well and happy again, and sending them on their way

  5. #45
    Warren Scout Natalie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Shropshire - just moved here from Sussex
    Posts
    213

    Default

    The latest news


    Firstly, and most importantly, we decided an elevation in social status was long overdue for our precious little Muffy, so we have renamed him ... Mr Muffles of Shropshire ... or Mr Muffles to his friends

    Secondly, OMG! OMG! OMG! Check this out ... this is how I found Caramel and Mr Muffles snoozing this afternoon! Caramel chose to sleep right near the gate. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Mr Muffles still a bit oblivious but hey, it's a start




    and Thirdly, clearly Mr Muffles, bless him, has a lot to learn faced with the whole 'hay feeder next to litter' tray scenario, instead of sitting IN the litter tray and feeding FROM the hay feeder, he chose to sit IN the hay feeder and feed FROM the litter tray - it didn't go so well




    But all in all our little chap is doing okay. He's eating, grooming, moving about and he even picked up a toy today and gave it a sort of mini toss, really getting into rabbit mode! Not to mention that he especially enjoys snuggles accompanied by the obligatory ear and forehead rubs

    LOVE HIM

  6. #46
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    10,849

    Default

    brilliant update. So sweet to see little Caramel lying so close. With Mr Muffles coming from rescue he'll be more used t rabbits in the vicinity which maybe is why he seems less interested

  7. #47
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    15,262

    Default

    What a lovely update. I can just imagine Mr Muffles and Caramel cuddling up together!

  8. #48
    Warren Scout Natalie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Shropshire - just moved here from Sussex
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    brilliant update. So sweet to see little Caramel lying so close. With Mr Muffles coming from rescue he'll be more used t rabbits in the vicinity which maybe is why he seems less interested
    Unfortunately up until now, Mr Muffles spent his whole life on his own, and then when he was with the RSPCA, he was, understandably, fostered on his own, so he isn’t used to other rabbits at all

  9. #49
    Warren Scout Natalie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Shropshire - just moved here from Sussex
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    What a lovely update. I can just imagine Mr Muffles and Caramel cuddling up together!
    I have no idea when to try putting them together, don’t want to do it too soon, but don’t want to leave it too long either. It’s so hard to know when the ideal time is. Mr Muffles really doesn’t know anything about rabbit companionship so it’s difficult to predict what he’ll make of it.

  10. #50
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    10,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Unfortunately up until now, Mr Muffles spent his whole life on his own, and then when he was with the RSPCA, he was, understandably, fostered on his own, so he isn’t used to other rabbits at all
    Oh bless, imagine never having had contact with your own species. doh - I forgot the RSPCA sometimes foster. He is one lucky bunny now though & thats what counts

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •