• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My last post killed her *warning if you don't like upsetting animal posts*

0XBunnyta

Warren Scout
In my last post I got exited about moving out with the buns and was asking for loads of puppy pen suggestions. I have several 80L storage boxes of lovely toys and things i'd collected over summer, my last thing to get was a pen so they could have their own room at the new apartment. I was so totally overjoyed they could come with me let alone set up their own room, a pen to block off the skirting board was a must and the last thing on my list... considering their history with rented accommodation :roll:

I'm moving in two days but Annabelle will never get to experience all the treats I had in store for her. I sold their old accommodation so they were set up in my parents shed out the way of the snow in said puppy pen, just for the next two bloomin days until going on Saturday. The largest I could find cos I knew they potentially would try jumping over and this way I was 100% sure... The shed was once upon a time renovated for them but has since had a few bikes and spades etc put back in so they needed to be kept contained.

I went out at around 9pm and could hear the ****** scuffling around outside of the pen under the bikes, first of all I was shocked she had managed to get out and then my initial thought was oh god I hope she hasn't popped any tires the little :evil: but it was pitch black by this point and when I made my way over and turned on the light I just saw her laying there dragging her back end trying to move. Didn't even cross my mind I just feel so guilty like how did I not see this pen as a danger, why didn't I even consider that she could have hurt herself getting over. Forget about if the bikes was damaged I couldn't give a flying toss about them now, we think she jumped over and went head first but whacked her back on one of them as she went down...

Absolute saint of a vet tried to get to me for the next 45 minuets for an emergency appointment in essentially a blizzard I can't praise him enough I really can't. If any of you are vet nurses or vets or techs etc I just want to thank you so much for your dedication honestly didn't know what to do when I found her I thought I wouldn't be able to be seen what so ever and it was the worst feeling in the world.

He confirmed that she had sustained a broken back and that it was so severe that it had snapped some deep chord like... I was hysterical by this point there was no use explaining anything to me I can't recall the proper terms he used because to me I knew it wouldn't matter anyway. Essentially she would be paralyzed for the rest of her life and he could see I would genuinely do anything to help her pull through so he offered to take her to an overnight stay where she would be kept comfortable and any further treatments discussed and arranged but did confirm she would never be able to walk again unassisted and would require intensive human care for basic needs.

If anyone knows me they know i've had a disabled bun mobility wise before and I had no problem helping her keep clean with baths and cream most days, honestly would have done anything for that sweet bun to keep her comfortable. Problem was she was so so friendly she loved people so much. I used to refer to her as lap dog cos she honestly was but Annabelle is my look but don't touch bun. Not from lack of socializing mind, all my other rabbits have loved attention, it was just her personality and I respected it. Shes also my bun who never wanted to be housed inside and would go wait by the back door to be let out, when Tina would do the opposite and run inside if she was ever put out to graze. She just wanted to be constantly running out in the garden.

I know buns can happily be kept in wheelchairs and it kills me she was happy and healthy in herself at the time of PTS. With constant care from humans when she doesn't even liked to be stroked let alone bathed for urine scald and never being able to run like that again it's just the two totally opposite things she would have wanted and I truly believe she would have been miserable.

Just can't help thinking of the flashing warning signs for every aspect of this story and how It's my bad decisions that means shes not here anymore :cry::cry: moral of the story- puppy pens are dangerous for a variety of reasons. I've heard of suck heads and broken legs, but I always thought that was because the person had not been cautious enough and bought unsuitable things either with gaps too wide or too cheap that they bend too easily, not high enough etc. Accidents can happen and do happen and it's best to avoid it.

I am so sorry for your tragic loss :cry: I can understand how you feel responsible, but I certainly do not think that you are. What happened was an awful accident.

You have shown great selflessness in not trying to keep Annabelle with you when she would have been profoundly disabled. You respected her needs as she was never a 'hands on care' Rabbit and she would have been very stressed with all the handling care she would have needed. Letting her go was, in my opinion, the most compassionate thing to do. Even though it obviously broke your heart to do it.

RIP Annabelle xx

I am so sorry :cry: I know that nothing anyone can say will make you feel any less guilty about this, but this was a horrible, tragic accident. You really weren't to know that this is what would happen. I have very recently purchased a puppy pen myself (for bonding) and I know all the criteria that are considered e.g. it must be high enough, the bars must be OK so their heads don't get stuck etc.

Sending lots of hugs.

I am so sorry for your tragic loss :cry: I can understand how you feel responsible, but I certainly do not think that you are. What happened was an awful accident.

You have shown great selflessness in not trying to keep Annabelle with you when she would have been profoundly disabled. You respected her needs as she was never a 'hands on care' Rabbit and she would have been very stressed with all the handling care she would have needed. Letting her go was, in my opinion, the most compassionate thing to do. Even though it obviously broke your heart to do it.

RIP Annabelle xx
JJ has expressed my thoughts perfectly.

Please try to be kind to yourself, it's going to be a difficult time, but try to be kind.

Xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Im so so sorry to read this. You were trying to give her the best life, this was a horrible accident that's not your fault.
Xx

I'm so sorry to read this. It was a terrible accident. You've made a tough decision for the right reasons. Annabel was obviously a much loved bun and I hope you will see past this and come to terms with it in time. RIP Annabel xxxx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I'm very sorry, what a terrible accident. You can only do so much to try and cover every eventuality and you were certainly doing everything for the right reasons
Be kind to yourself

It was a tragic accident. Please don't blame yourself, you were doing the very best you could for her. Sending hugs x

I’m so very sorry:cry: it was a terribly tragic thing to have happened that couldn’t have been foreseen. Binky free little one xx

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

I'm so sorry, sending hugs xxx

Please please don't beat yourself up over this, accidents happen. We lost our 1 year old Springer spaniel in a very similar circumstance last year and that led to so many feelings of guilt but at the end of the day a freak accident is a freak accident. :cry:

In my last post I got exited about moving out with the buns and was asking for loads of puppy pen suggestions. I have several 80L storage boxes of lovely toys and things i'd collected over summer, my last thing to get was a pen so they could have their own room at the new apartment. I was so totally overjoyed they could come with me let alone set up their own room, a pen to block off the skirting board was a must and the last thing on my list... considering their history with rented accommodation :roll:

I'm moving in two days but Annabelle will never get to experience all the treats I had in store for her. I sold their old accommodation so they were set up in my parents shed out the way of the snow in said puppy pen, just for the next two bloomin days until going on Saturday. The largest I could find cos I knew they potentially would try jumping over and this way I was 100% sure... The shed was once upon a time renovated for them but has since had a few bikes and spades etc put back in so they needed to be kept contained.

I went out at around 9pm and could hear the ****** scuffling around outside of the pen under the bikes, first of all I was shocked she had managed to get out and then my initial thought was oh god I hope she hasn't popped any tires the little :evil: but it was pitch black by this point and when I made my way over and turned on the light I just saw her laying there dragging her back end trying to move. Didn't even cross my mind I just feel so guilty like how did I not see this pen as a danger, why didn't I even consider that she could have hurt herself getting over. Forget about if the bikes was damaged I couldn't give a flying toss about them now, we think she jumped over and went head first but whacked her back on one of them as she went down...

Absolute saint of a vet tried to get to me for the next 45 minuets for an emergency appointment in essentially a blizzard I can't praise him enough I really can't. If any of you are vet nurses or vets or techs etc I just want to thank you so much for your dedication honestly didn't know what to do when I found her I thought I wouldn't be able to be seen what so ever and it was the worst feeling in the world.

He confirmed that she had sustained a broken back and that it was so severe that it had snapped some deep chord like... I was hysterical by this point there was no use explaining anything to me I can't recall the proper terms he used because to me I knew it wouldn't matter anyway. Essentially she would be paralyzed for the rest of her life and he could see I would genuinely do anything to help her pull through so he offered to take her to an overnight stay where she would be kept comfortable and any further treatments discussed and arranged but did confirm she would never be able to walk again unassisted and would require intensive human care for basic needs.

If anyone knows me they know i've had a disabled bun mobility wise before and I had no problem helping her keep clean with baths and cream most days, honestly would have done anything for that sweet bun to keep her comfortable. Problem was she was so so friendly she loved people so much. I used to refer to her as lap dog cos she honestly was but Annabelle is my look but don't touch bun. Not from lack of socializing mind, all my other rabbits have loved attention, it was just her personality and I respected it. Shes also my bun who never wanted to be housed inside and would go wait by the back door to be let out, when Tina would do the opposite and run inside if she was ever put out to graze. She just wanted to be constantly running out in the garden.

I know buns can happily be kept in wheelchairs and it kills me she was happy and healthy in herself at the time of PTS. With constant care from humans when she doesn't even liked to be stroked let alone bathed for urine scald and never being able to run like that again it's just the two totally opposite things she would have wanted and I truly believe she would have been miserable.

Just can't help thinking of the flashing warning signs for every aspect of this story and how It's my bad decisions that means shes not here anymore :cry::cry: moral of the story- puppy pens are dangerous for a variety of reasons. I've heard of suck heads and broken legs, but I always thought that was because the person had not been cautious enough and bought unsuitable things either with gaps too wide or too cheap that they bend too easily, not high enough etc. Accidents can happen and do happen and it's best to avoid it.
I'm so so sorry.

But a tragic accident, definitely not your fault.

So brave and unselfish of you to say goodbye to Annabelle.

Binky Free Annabelle.

[emoji174][emoji174]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back