• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The age old issue

xlaurax

Mama Doe
Hi guys

So here we are. I really hate this weather.

I have 2 bunnies. They have a heat pad and a fleece lined house in the hutch. The hutch is raised off the ground and is 2 levels. They spend their time upstairs. Loads of hay and straw etc. There's a cover on the hutch to protect from wind.

I am now really worried they're going to freeze. This is the coldest weather they've ever seen. Their water bottle has started to freeze.

Don't think I'll sleep tonight :(

Hey Laura,

I've been worrying about the same thing as my pair are outdoors in a similar kind of 2 tier hutch setup. I've brought mine into our outbuilding tonight because it's -5 outside and the wind is really strong. Do you have anywhere which is warmer/sheltered like an outbuilding, but not too warm/house temperature so the difference isn't a huge shock?

We have a garage but sadly the hutch is too big to move :(

It's nerve wracking. I'm thinking of setting an alarm every few hours to go check on them

Do you possibly have a secure, portable run or something they could stay in overnight? They might be okay because if they're used to being outside they'll have their thick winter coats. But we are experiencing unusually cold weather, which is why I was too worried to leave my pair out tonight. Sending you my best wishes, I know it's a big worry; I constantly worry about mine!

I was up several times last night worrying about mine too - when I got up this morning I went out straightaway and both of my pairs were in their attached runs (covered but snow had blown in) actually playing in the snow! Tonight they are snuggled in their hutches, they seem surprisingly ok - I think, if they have lots of hay in a covered snuggly area as well as a friend to cuddle up with, they are maybe a bit hardier than we think.

I decided several weeks ago that I was fed up with winter and my current arrangements though and have ordered two MPH Bunny bothies for mine, I want to spend time with them in winter as well as in nice weather and think sheds will help with that. For now it’s just hay and more hay and frequent water bottle checking/swapping.

Hope everyone’s buns stay warm enough tonight. Hopefully it’s going to be over in just a few more days then spring - hurrah!

Thanks guys I always feel better for coming on here. You're right they're hardier than we give credit for. I've made sure the inside is dry / no leaks and windproofed the best I can. I'm going out at 3am to do another check and heat pad swap. Then it's just waiting until the morning. Roll on spring!

Thanks guys I always feel better for coming on here. You're right they're hardier than we give credit for. I've made sure the inside is dry / no leaks and windproofed the best I can. I'm going out at 3am to do another check and heat pad swap. Then it's just waiting until the morning. Roll on spring!

I’ll think of you when I’m out as well then!

Going out now for my sixth water bottle swap of the day :?

I love this forum. Such dedicated care for rabbits.

My lot chose to sit in their run yesterday evening despite having a heated shed to go into ...

My 3am check resulted in me freezing outside and standing in a cold kitchen for 7 mins while waiting for the heat pad to warm up. In the meantime they were running round the hutch happy as larry!

I'm working from home today so I can swap their heat pad again at lunchtime.

It's quite windy here today but I've battened down the hatches so fingers crossed they will be ok.

Hope your buns are doing okay Laura! I'm thinking of every outdoor bun owner in these extreme conditions. It isn't easy! <3

I am now really worried they're going to freeze. This is the coldest weather they've ever seen. Their water bottle has started to freeze.

Don't think I'll sleep tonight :(

Hm, bottle just starting to freeze? How cold is it?

I started to cover the hutch doors with blankets over night and half of them during day when it got below -8°C, we had about -15°C here this last week, just starts to get warmer. No problem for the rabbits, although they didn't go out in the garden much. And my house bunny had to stay indoors since I was worried about the temperature difference, which is imho a bigger problem for them than just the cold.

To prevent the water crocks from freezing I insulated them with cuts from a cardboard tube and put electric heating pads under them, works to about -8°C, when it gets lower I need to change the water twice a day.

Anyway, the weather is great, was skiing all Thursday :), also, without that cold spell there would be much, much more slugs next spring and summer. I can dress up against the cold, but there is not much I can do about slugs all over the rabbits forage.

Back