• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How frequent should bonding sessions should be?

Hello all, i’m planilha my bonding sessions, but because fight copies previously i think there might be again. If they fight or are aggressive should I still try to do the sessions every day hoping them to be calmer (if of course it is not too much aggression).
Thank you!!

If the rabbits don't fight it is best to keep them together and they should have settled down within 3 days. Fights should only last about 3 seconds no more.

Hello all, i’m planilha my bonding sessions, but because fight copies previously i think there might be again. If they fight or are aggressive should I still try to do the sessions every day hoping them to be calmer (if of course it is not too much aggression).
Thank you!!

I have only ever done the one bonding session.

What rabbits are you trying to bond? (how many, sex, age, size etc ...)

To clarify - I don't mean I have only ever done one bond! I've done hundreds and they have all worked.

I mean I only put rabbits together the once. I never separate and do more bonding 'sessions' between the same rabbits. :D

Last edited:
When I'm bonding rabbits, I always work on the principle of 'once they're together, they stay together.' If there's severe fighting, I separate, regroup and reconsider my options. I've had times when bonding hasn't worked, but when there's been a change in dynamics, it has. (I tried bonding Niji to Elphie and Morning when they were a pair. The ladies quickly rejected him. I then bonded him in with Arce and Yuki. Later, I bonded these 2 groups into 1 group and both Elphie, but especially Morning are smitten with Niji now. Rabbits. :roll:)

My two pairs ( have to say they were both easy bonds - Dennis and Bella were both recently bereaved and Trevor and Alys were young neutered buns when they met) once I put them together they stayed together. I was obviously ready to intervene should there be any trouble but haven’t had to separate them ever.

We also had an unsuccessful trio bond in 2015 where our buns went away to be bonded and it all seemed to be going but failed horribly and spectacularly literally the minute we arrived home. I would never have tried them together again after the horrendous fight that ensued.

Guess it really depends on the rabbits and how it goes?

Hello
Thank you for your answers!!
The thing is that a have a trio of mother son daughter that are perfect bonded and I have the father that stood in vet while they were growing and when back was perfect with females but still growing affection to son. Now he was away for 2 days and when came home son fought with him and I separated them. Now I have them in separate rooms or in close sight cages and I wanted t o try to join them again.
Maybe because they fought previously they might fight or be a little aggressive since they have to establish the hierarqui between them, so I wanted to be prepared to know what to do if they fight: separate and try again hoping the get closer each day? Keep them the most time untill the become tired and rest , ...
the thing is that they are all mine and I don’t want to have them in 2 pairs since the trios (girls with each boy) are perfect...
Maybe I try one session in a new space because i’ll Be in Holliday’s in a friends house for one week. If it works I put the fence bigger or leave them open in the room.
My doubt is if they fight would you recommend to keep trying after separation? And in between three them in different cages also but in sight of each other?
What is the best way for success???
I really wanted them to be ok, because they were already together once, even if still not perfect related

Ah, previous fight between father an son was chasing and biting and some circling and fur . No severe bites occourd that demanded healing

Sorry I forgot the other details
So that are mother and father with one year and son and daughter with 5 month. Only daughter not spanned.
Father mini lop and mother mini Rex
Thank you!!!

Hello! I tried bonding session this weekend and they fought so now i’m Trying the separated cages. When I release each one they go to the other cage that is side by side and show a bit of aggression but in minutes they loose the interest and go explore, so i’ll Try this some days and see if it evolves. I’ll not try to join them again untill they loose agressivness and show only curiosity... so... more time and pacience .... I think

Back