• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Minimum square footage question?

orangediva

Mama Doe
Apologies as I'm incredibly rubbish at maths - is 60 square ft the minimum most rescues will rehome to?

I've been away from the forum for some time - I'm having a health issue which has made life a bit difficult for a while as I've still had to work full time in a busy job (I'm a nurse) whilst being very anaemic and feeling very rubbish for a long time - it's left me very tired and I've not been on the internet much at all. Thankfully the end is now in sight as I'm finally due to have surgery in the next 2-3 months which *should* solve all my issues. I'm going to be off work for around 3 months and, though I won't be firing on all cylinders for a bit, I will be at home and will have a lot of time to spend with my pets and so have decided to have my big shed converted into a bunny shed with a level and ramp, mesh inner door and windows (with perspex to close over them) and a predator proof aviary style run around one side and the back - all with a view to adopting a third pair of rabbits. I have worked out that their space will be 12ft by 7 ft plus the level which will be 6ft by 3 ft - can anyone work out what the floor space would be and tell me if it meets rescue requirements please?

My other bunny pairs - Dennis/Bella and Trevor/Alys (some of you might remember them?) are all fine - I'd love to post pictures but photo bucket has disappeared? This winter's been tough with them living in hutch and run combos so I have ordered Manor Pet Housing bothies for both pairs (very exciting - and expensive!) with level/ramp, mesh inner door and windows and will use these with their existing Omlet runs connected by runaround tubing. There is a long wait for these (though I know they are worth waiting for as I have other MPH stuff) so my buns won't get them till later in the spring - luckily we live half an hour drive from MPH so my dad and son will collect and build them for me, bless them both. I hope it will be easier for me to spend time with the buns in winter if the weather is as rubbish as this year.

Hope someone remembers me and can do the maths - I'm embarrassingly rubbish at it. I'm waiting on a quote from a carpenter who's been round to look and measure up - if it's affordable he'll do the work in late March but I'm waiting till after my surgery before looking at bunnies. I'd like to post pictures to get opinions but again 0 no photo bucket - is there another way?

Last edited:
Hi, yes I remember you :wave:

This link shows you how to calculate the minimum requirements http://www.therabbithouse.com/guide_size.asp

So in your accommodation you have 12 x 7 = 84 sq ft plus the level of 6 x 3 = 18 sq ft. I'm not sure whether the level is included. I presume it is, but even if not, you have much more than the minimum.

Your plans sound wonderful and I can appreciate how excited you are :)

I hope your operation can be done sooner rather than later. Having low iron levels certainly make you very tired all the time, especially whilst working full time as a nurse.

Apologies as I'm incredibly rubbish at maths - is 60 square ft the minimum most rescues will rehome to?

I've been away from the forum for some time - I'm having a health issue which has made life a bit difficult for a while as I've still had to work full time in a busy job (I'm a nurse) whilst being very anaemic and feeling very rubbish for a long time - it's left me very tired and I've not been on the internet much at all. Thankfully the end is now in sight as I'm finally due to have surgery in the next 2-3 months which *should* solve all my issues. I'm going to be off work for around 3 months and, though I won't be firing on all cylinders for a bit, I will be at home and will have a lot of time to spend with my pets and so have decided to have my big shed converted into a bunny shed with a level and ramp, mesh inner door and windows (with perspex to close over them) and a predator proof aviary style run around one side and the back - all with a view to adopting a third pair of rabbits. I have worked out that their space will be 12ft by 7 ft plus the level which will be 6ft by 3 ft - can anyone work out what the floor space would be and tell me if it meets rescue requirements please?

My other bunny pairs - Dennis/Bella and Trevor/Alys (some of you might remember them?) are all fine - I'd love to post pictures but photo bucket has disappeared? This winter's been tough with them living in hutch and run combos so I have ordered Manor Pet Housing bothies for both pairs (very exciting - and expensive!) with level/ramp, mesh inner door and windows and will use these with their existing Omlet runs connected by runaround tubing. There is a long wait for these (though I know they are worth waiting for as I have other MPH stuff) so my buns won't get them till later in the spring - luckily we live half an hour drive from MPH so my dad and son will collect and build them for me, bless them both. I hope it will be easier for me to spend time with the buns in winter if the weather is as rubbish as this year.

Hope someone remembers me and can do the maths - I'm embarrassingly rubbish at it. I'm waiting on a quote from a carpenter who's been round to look and measure up - if it's affordable he'll do the work in late March but I'm waiting till after my surgery before looking at bunnies. I'd like to post pictures to get opinions but again 0 no photo bucket - is there another way?

Of course I remember you, and I miss you on my Gardening Thread :wave:

I'm so sorry you've been so poorly and I hope the op will solve your problems, though you have a bit of a rocky road in front of you. You must be exhausted still working!

Your accommodation sounds fab and well big enough :) Lucky rabbits! :)

And if you want to post photos, people seem to be using Imgur and it's working well.

Hi, yes I remember you :wave:

This link shows you how to calculate the minimum requirements http://www.therabbithouse.com/guide_size.asp

So in your accommodation you have 12 x 7 = 84 sq ft plus the level of 6 x 3 = 18 sq ft. I'm not sure whether the level is included. I presume it is, but even if not, you have much more than the minimum.

Your plans sound wonderful and I can appreciate how excited you are :)

I hope your operation can be done sooner rather than later. Having low iron levels certainly make you very tired all the time, especially whilst working full time as a nurse.

Thanks for the link and your calculations, Omi - they really help. Sounds feasible then, I'm just waiting for my quote from the carpenter and I'll hopefully book the work. Would, I wonder, that accommodation suit at least one larger bunny? With the larger runaround door to the run?

I'm hoping my op will be as soon as possible but not holding my breath - I'm dreading it tbh but working like this is getting harder and harder.

Of course I remember you, and I miss you on my Gardening Thread :wave:

I'm so sorry you've been so poorly and I hope the op will solve your problems, though you have a bit of a rocky road in front of you. You must be exhausted still working!

Your accommodation sounds fab and well big enough :) Lucky rabbits! :)

And if you want to post photos, people seem to be using Imgur and it's working well.

Ah I will try Imgur then - will take a look in a minute, thanks for that.

Yes the gardening thread, I have been perusing it these last few days! Any heavy gardening this summer is likely to be a no no for me immediately after my op so I'll try and get on top of as much as possible beforehand. If I've got to rest and am not allowed to drive I want at least a semi-nice garden to sit in with my bunnies and cats while I'm off work!

Thanks for the link and your calculations, Omi - they really help. Sounds feasible then, I'm just waiting for my quote from the carpenter and I'll hopefully book the work. Would, I wonder, that accommodation suit at least one larger bunny? With the larger runaround door to the run?

Tbh I haven't ever seen any different sizes quoted for different sizes of rabbit, although it must make a diference. I would think your accommodation would be fine for larger rabbits, although as you say you would need to make sure that any runaround door or cat flap was large enough.

I believe they recommend 120sqft for giant breeds. The 60sqft is for the small/medium sized buns :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Tbh I haven't ever seen any different sizes quoted for different sizes of rabbit, although it must make a diference. I would think your accommodation would be fine for larger rabbits, although as you say you would need to make sure that any runaround door or cat flap was large enough.

I know runaround do doors and pipes for the larger rabbit.

I believe they recommend 120sqft for giant breeds. The 60sqft is for the small/medium sized buns :)

I don't think they'd use a level either - or would they? I'm only used to fairly compact but very lively Dutch and lionhead X buns!!

I think they would use a level, but it would need to be around 2ft or maybe even 3ft deep to be safe.

I think they would use a level, but it would need to be around 2ft or maybe even 3ft deep to be safe.

It's going to be 6ft by 3ft and not too high - guessing the ramp might need to be wider if I was considering a larger a rabbit. I think it might not be feasible if they need 120 sq ft as I'm not sure how I'd increase the size any further. I think standard bunny size is probably the way to go for me!!

I remember you :wave: probably your best bet is to approach the rescues you are interested in, as they may have different requirements to each other, and for different sized bunnies :thumb:

It's going to be 6ft by 3ft and not too high - guessing the ramp might need to be wider if I was considering a larger a rabbit. I think it might not be feasible if they need 120 sq ft as I'm not sure how I'd increase the size any further. I think standard bunny size is probably the way to go for me!!
If you happen to find a rescue with giants, maybe discuss it with them as they may be happy with the set up you've planned x

This is interesting :) I haven't noticed this anywhere, but then I've not been particularly looking. Do you know what the advice is regarding numbers as well? I've always assumed that the recommended size is for 2 rabbits, but I've not seen anything which states that you should have double this if you have a quad for instance.

It is a recommendation for one or two rabbits. I've not seen any recommendations for larger for more rabbits but I guess they think people would use common sense.

Would my square footage be suitable for trio? Of normal sized buns, not giants?
Is there a minimum for a trio? I’m just musing, I need to not get carried away and will always think about the cost of things such as vaccinations (how can I forget - mine are all due in one month and it’s this month :?), extra food/hay and prospective vet bills - not to mention the added risk of fallouts - but a trio has a certain appeal!

The carpenter has given me his quote and it’s brilliantly affordable so it’s all booked in for mid April - I’m now scouring the bunny sites and Pinterest re what to put in my 3 new rabbit homes!

I know - I just need the snow to go, I’ve got a shed and the area round it to clear of junk, cardboard, old pots etc etc. Plus I’ve got some new covers and kick boards for my current buns’s runs (currant buns - ha!). I’m desperate to get on with it but the weather has other ideas.

I remember you :wave: probably your best bet is to approach the rescues you are interested in, as they may have different requirements to each other, and for different sized bunnies :thumb:

So sorry, Zoobec - I missed this at the bottom of page 1 :oops:

*waves madly *

Back