• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - help!

Lunalula

New Kit
Hello. I got my first rabbit Luna (male) in December, he’s 5 months and has been castrated.
He is so loving and friendly and has never showed any signs of agrression.

Because I’m not at home enough for him I bought another little rabbit Lula (who we believe is female but very difficult to tell) so he would have company and never be lonely. She is also so loving but a little jumpy and nervous, I’ve only had her a week and everything is new for her!

I’ve read that bonding can be difficult and patience and persistence are key. I’ve just got a couple of queries regarding how it’s going with these two!

At first Luna was not interested at all. He started to show signs of interest by sniffing around her behind area. Then he started chasing her. I started to worry that they would never bond. Lula would run and hide under the sofa and not come out. Today is the first day I’ve seen any signs of potential bonds. Luna keeps sniffing around Lulas genital area which I’ve read is not a good sign and he chases her (also not a good sign). Earlier she came out from under the sofa and laid there and just let him sniff her and he didn’t show any sign of agrression just sniffed her then lost interest. They’ve both been binkying and ignoring each other but he still goes to chase her.

Then they went nose to nose again and i stroked Lunas head and then he flopped whilst she was next to him! It made her jump but i feel he isn’t going to be aggressive!

He doesn’t seem aggressive but he keeps chasing her! Will this bond work??

Hello and welcome. You didn't say how old Lula is but as she must be over 8 weeks old it should be possible to see if she is a girl or boy. Hopefully you have a female and it is quite normal for the male to chase her for a few days. This should settle down in a few days. As she gets older she may start to pester the boy and she will need to be spayed so they can have a peaceful life together. If it is a boy then fights could break out and you will need to keep a careful eye on them as your boy could injure the younger one. As she is very young it is only natural that she is very nervy as she probably has only just left her Mum and siblings. Hope this helps.

Oh sorry yes Lula is 9 weeks! Yes I’m getting her spayed as soon as she is old enough. Okay that’s great thank you! I’ll continue to keep close watch on them and hopefully they start to love each other. I have so many questions about it all as these are my first rabbits. Thank you for your help ��

It's very good that you want to learn and not assume you know it all, like some do. There is always someone on hand to help you and we don't know everything! :D

Back