• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is This Herb Robert?

Beapig

Mama Doe
I found plenty of this forage growing wild today, it looks like Herb Robert to me although possibly the leaves are too pointy? Does anyone know what it is and if it's safe for bunnies? There's an abundance of it that I can pick so I hope it's edible :)

20180226_110713 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

Last edited:
Definitely not herb Robert. It's one of the umbellifera ones... cow parsley or something such but wouldn't want to guess in case it's the dreaded hemlock!

I tried to do a link to Frances Harcourt-Brown's foraging gallery but it's down at the moment so she may be working on it.

The main question with the plant you've got is what is the stem like? Round or ridged?

It looks like young hemlock - I'd suggest waiting until later spring to double check the bigger stems to confirm.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Glad you checked first. It does look like Hemlock to me from your pic.

What makes it look like Hemlock rather than Cow Parsley?

(from one who can't tell from the photo but has no doubt when picking it fresh .........:))

Doesn't look anything like hemlock, I'm afraid: it's got the groove down the centre of the stem which is characteristic of cow parsley. Hemlock has no groove, is usually much darker, and has the 'measles'. That particlar one is also slightly hairy which hemlock never is :)

ETA also the hemlock near us isn't remotely growing yet but the cow parsley is. Not a sure sign I know but worth metnioning :D

What makes it look like Hemlock rather than Cow Parsley?

(from one who can't tell from the photo but has no doubt when picking it fresh .........:))

From the pic it looks as though the leaves are shiny, whereas Cow Parsley's leaves are more matt. Also the leaves appear to be more feathery than Cow Parsley.

I agree with KK about the groove in the stem being suggestive of Cow Parsley though.

From the pic it looks as though the leaves are shiny, whereas Cow Parsley's leaves are more matt. Also the leaves appear to be more feathery than Cow Parsley.
There are differences in different cow parsleys: we've had really hairy cow parsley, even hairier than foxglove leafstems, and some with ribbed stems, some with very shallow fore-groove. Leaf patterns and colouration are about as varied as hawthorn, but not usually very dark gloss green like hemlock :) It is a PITA though, as it's not always the same!

Back