• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Time to book the dreaded vets tomorrow, bad eye bun worried mum :-(

Truffpuff

Mama Doe
Poor Truffle has had a sore corner of his right eye, which started off pink but then the skin looked scaley and more red with some tiny amounts of white discharge which looked like sleep.
I gave him isathal in the eye for a few days and it looked better, more pink again.

Today I put the drops in and it just looked the same and the skin has made a sore mini volcano shape with dry bits. So we decided it’s time for the vets if we can get in tomorrow to see my vet friend, but I have been dreading our first vet trip with the boys being recently bonded.

On top of that I’m in a bit of a tizzy because I think I know what it is. Bunny syphilis.
Luther the bunny he’s bonded with had a sudden outbreak during bonding at home of it, I had to inject him with penicillin for 7 days and it cleared up, his symptoms were crusty sore nose which passed to his genitals. But maybe in a fight before Luther got rid of it, maybe it passed to Truffle?!

I’m panicking if it is that because I can barley burrito Truffle to put drops in his eye, let alone get to his neck to inject him etc and I can’t imagine actually injecting him. It was difficult on Luther and he sat still.
I hope it’s not and I’m just over thinking!

62c37cd3ed5d66e8d88cce6db4e42fd2.jpg

2a537a138dd578d6929ae568372ecd01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor Truffle has had a sore corner of his right eye, which started off pink but then the skin looked scaley and more red with some tiny amounts of white discharge which looked like sleep.
I gave him isathal in the eye for a few days and it looked better, more pink again.

Today I put the drops in and it just looked the same and the skin has made a sore mini volcano shape with dry bits. So we decided it’s time for the vets if we can get in tomorrow to see my vet friend, but I have been dreading our first vet trip with the boys being recently bonded.

On top of that I’m in a bit of a tizzy because I think I know what it is. Bunny syphilis.
Luther the bunny he’s bonded with had a sudden outbreak during bonding at home of it, I had to inject him with penicillin for 7 days and it cleared up, his symptoms were crusty sore nose which passed to his genitals. But maybe in a fight before Luther got rid of it, maybe it passed to Truffle?!

I’m panicking if it is that because I can barley burrito Truffle to put drops in his eye, let alone get to his neck to inject him etc and I can’t imagine actually injecting him. It was difficult on Luther and he sat still.
I hope it’s not and I’m just over thinking!

62c37cd3ed5d66e8d88cce6db4e42fd2.jpg

2a537a138dd578d6929ae568372ecd01.jpg

Oh dear, really sorry to hear this :(

Yes it can be passed from rabbit to rabbit, so what you think could be possible.

Hopefully it's not that though, and the vet will give something that will clear it up. Perhaps change to chloramphenicol?

Oh dear, really sorry to hear this :(

Yes it can be passed from rabbit to rabbit, so what you think could be possible.

Hopefully it's not that though, and the vet will give something that will clear it up. Perhaps change to chloramphenicol?

Thank you, I was really hoping it would go away by now, he doesn’t trust me at all at the moment from getting him with the towel the last few days bless him.

I really hope it’s not too :-( we were offered before that a nurse could inject for us every day, but I just can’t see two rabbits that hate the carrier and the car, that are newly bonded would make a good option.
I asked my nurse friend and the vets are fully booked tomorrow so will book for Monday, it’s not bothering him at all though (although Luther is trying to lick it now!).

Oh thank you I will look that up :)
I hope your still having hood news with your buns

Sending lots of vibes for Truffle. Tethra has had Rabbit Syphilis, certainly once and very probably twice (diagnosis difficult). I knew about the risk of it being passed to other rabbits, but did not separate him from the other two. Neither of them caught it and they certainly were grooming each other as normal.

Hoping that Truffle's problem is just related to his eye and that you don't have to consider injections.

Thank you, I was really hoping it would go away by now, he doesn’t trust me at all at the moment from getting him with the towel the last few days bless him.

I really hope it’s not too :-( we were offered before that a nurse could inject for us every day, but I just can’t see two rabbits that hate the carrier and the car, that are newly bonded would make a good option.
I asked my nurse friend and the vets are fully booked tomorrow so will book for Monday, it’s not bothering him at all though (although Luther is trying to lick it now!).

Oh thank you I will look that up :)
I hope your still having hood news with your buns

Luther!! :roll:

I hope you manage to get an appointment to put your mind at rest.
And thanks so much for your continuing support for my buns. Let me know if there's anything I can do :)

Sending lots of vibes for Truffle. Tethra has had Rabbit Syphilis, certainly once and very probably twice (diagnosis difficult). I knew about the risk of it being passed to other rabbits, but did not separate him from the other two. Neither of them caught it and they certainly were grooming each other as normal.

Hoping that Truffle's problem is just related to his eye and that you don't have to consider injections.

Thank you Omi :)
Yes it’s difficult to diagnose without a biopsy. The injections definitely did the trick with Luther which was good, but he’s much more chill and was poked a lot as a baby because he was sick (which is why I took him on from the vets).

We too were warned it could be passed but unfortunately the outbreak was when they were living side by side for bonding and we didn’t want to separate them, all they could do was touch noses. But I would have thought if it was passed from then it would have presented by now, although Luther’s didn’t present before until he was stressed and he’s had it (we assume) from birth. It’s hard to know.

I really hope your right, I get a bit overwhelmed thinking about potentially having to inject him at home and what it might do to their bond or his bond with us :-(
All booked for 4pm tomorrow when we will find out.

Luther!! :roll:

I hope you manage to get an appointment to put your mind at rest.
And thanks so much for your continuing support for my buns. Let me know if there's anything I can do :)

Haha! I know right, Sam said last night all our animals were healthy before him, but we wouldn’t change him lol. He can’t help it as he probably got it from his birth mummy and now he just loves Truffle so much he wants to share everything lol!

Thank you, yes we are in at 4pm tomorrow so I will be trying to get my mind off it a bit till then or I will be worrying.
Aw thank you and of course! Us bunny mummies and daddies have to stick together :)

Update:

Hi guys.
So our first vet trip with the boys together. We had the carrier our since yesterday morning to get the boys used to it, and everyone had a go in there cats included. Roll on this afternoon, Luther hopped straight in to eat pellets, Truffle has been hiding under the dining room table since first thing this morning, he’s already smelt a rat. *sigh* so a bit of chasing with a towel and thumping ensued then I caught him and popped him in with Luther!

The vet said his condition overall is very good and got a bit of the sore stuff off the corner of his eye. But then the vet noticed it was sore on part of his upper eye lid and inside his eye despite me having put isathal in about 4-5 days [emoji20] so now we are on oral antibiotics which hopefully I can disguise in banana because there’s nooooo way it will happen otherwise lol! But syphilis hasn’t been ruled out yet unless this week of antibiotics sorts him out. Fingers crossed it doesn’t spread as his nose and genitals are clear so indicates not syphilis.

He’s just come out of a 4 hour hunger strike and sulk on the kitchen chair to eat his veggies. Bunnies......! Lol.

Update:

Hi guys.
So our first vet trip with the boys together. We had the carrier our since yesterday morning to get the boys used to it, and everyone had a go in there cats included. Roll on this afternoon, Luther hopped straight in to eat pellets, Truffle has been hiding under the dining room table since first thing this morning, he’s already smelt a rat. *sigh* so a bit of chasing with a towel and thumping ensued then I caught him and popped him in with Luther!

The vet said his condition overall is very good and got a bit of the sore stuff off the corner of his eye. But then the vet noticed it was sore on part of his upper eye lid and inside his eye despite me having put isathal in about 4-5 days [emoji20] so now we are on oral antibiotics which hopefully I can disguise in banana because there’s nooooo way it will happen otherwise lol! But syphilis hasn’t been ruled out yet unless this week of antibiotics sorts him out. Fingers crossed it doesn’t spread as his nose and genitals are clear so indicates not syphilis.

He’s just come out of a 4 hour hunger strike and sulk on the kitchen chair to eat his veggies. Bunnies......! Lol.

How's Truffle? Did you manage to disguise his meds in banana? Syphilis seems so varied in its symptoms. Tethra never had any involvement of the genitals. His main problem area was his nose, which is still a bit scarred.

How's Truffle? Did you manage to disguise his meds in banana? Syphilis seems so varied in its symptoms. Tethra never had any involvement of the genitals. His main problem area was his nose, which is still a bit scarred.

The two Rabbits I have had who developed syphilis ( Rex Brothers) only had lesions on their noses too.

I wouldn’t know lol, he’s been sulking under the kitchen table all day being looked after by his little brother Luther.

This morning was a nightmare and total flop with the banana failing quite quickly. I had to mash it because there’s too much liquid to go into a piece, but after a few mouthfuls he realised it tasted a bit odd and refused any more.

So the rest of the morning I tried new ideas some without meds just to see if they’d work without wasting any meds. Oats with water, both buns avoided like the plague. Blackcurrent juice watered down, I got the bowl thrown at me lol. I tried injecting it into raisins but it just oozes back out the hole and he knows right away they are tainted. I tried injecting his pillow shaped treats, but not much goes in before oozing back out so he would need to eat like 50! I tried injecting it into bits of his long hay based treat sticks, he just chewed the dry bits around the meds. Tried injecting a grape but he knew and wouldn’t touch it.

So I’ve given up. Through trying different things I think he’s pretty much had his dose for today but I’m just going to have to have him hate me and force it in him the next 6 days :-(
So he’s not happy today or speaking to me lol. Such a diva!

The two Rabbits I have had who developed syphilis ( Rex Brothers) only had lesions on their noses too.

That’s how Luther started, it was the bit that joined his nose and lip that got sore first. But the first vet misdiagnosed it so when we went to see my vet friend it had them spread to his genitals.

I hope Truffle hasn’t caught this and the antibiotics works because I can’t see us injecting him at home. This oral medication is hard enough! Lol

I can empathise with trying to medicate a difficult bun! I found I had to use a lot of trial and error to find foods that would successfully disguise horrible tasting meds. I found soaking it into a very small piece of bread worked for one bun, if you haven't tried that one yet! My other failsafe method is to put them in the empty bathtub if I have to syringe feed or inject as it's much harder for them to get out and run away.

Good luck and I hope the meds help clear it up.

I can empathise with trying to medicate a difficult bun! I found I had to use a lot of trial and error to find foods that would successfully disguise horrible tasting meds. I found soaking it into a very small piece of bread worked for one bun, if you haven't tried that one yet! My other failsafe method is to put them in the empty bathtub if I have to syringe feed or inject as it's much harder for them to get out and run away.

Good luck and I hope the meds help clear it up.

Oh bread is a new one! What’s annoying is I have to give him 0.68ml which doesn’t sound like much but it’s over half of a 1ml syringe so it’s hard to find something that will take all of it :-/

That’s a good idea actually, I’ll remember the tub if I have to give him injections if this doesn’t work and turns out to be syphilis.
Thank you :) me too, he’s been so sad and not really coming out much today bless him.

9340d25937de9371e9bf0286a79e8b6f.jpg

That’s how Luther started, it was the bit that joined his nose and lip that got sore first. But the first vet misdiagnosed it so when we went to see my vet friend it had them spread to his genitals.

I hope Truffle hasn’t caught this and the antibiotics works because I can’t see us injecting him at home. This oral medication is hard enough! Lol

I'm guessing it's Baytril?

I know someone who put a bit of strawberry Ribena in the end of the syringe to try and disguise the taste. I find a small square of toast works best, or a malted shreddie :D (or perhaps more than one?)

I know, that's a lot of meds .... Good luck.

Sorry not to have got to this earlier .. Been a day of firefighting!

Oh bread is a new one! What’s annoying is I have to give him 0.68ml which doesn’t sound like much but it’s over half of a 1ml syringe so it’s hard to find something that will take all of it :-/

That’s a good idea actually, I’ll remember the tub if I have to give him injections if this doesn’t work and turns out to be syphilis.
Thank you :) me too, he’s been so sad and not really coming out much today bless him.

9340d25937de9371e9bf0286a79e8b6f.jpg

Aww poor Truffle. He does look sorry for himself. If only they could understand the nasty medicine will make them better and if they just grit their teeth and swallow it it'll all be over in seconds!

The only way I could get Sonic to take Baytril was to mix it with Ella's Kitchen babyfood (apple, pear and banana, I believe!), then spread it on a thing slice of banana!

Back