• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pink mouth U/D: Nasal discharge

Azucena

Alpha Buck
Hi,

Rose's mouth is looking very pink. Hard to describe but between her nose and mouth, the 'line' down the middle looks very pink. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks,

Azucena

Last edited:
Hi,

Rose's mouth is looking very pink. Hard to describe but between her nose and mouth, the 'line' down the middle looks very pink. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks,

Azucena

Does it look a bit swollen too ? Any sign of nasal discharge ? Is Rose well within herself ?

Yes, swollen too. Didn't notice any discharge and she seems to be acting normally.

Are you in the UK ? If so is your Rabbit fully vaccinated ?

Could Bunny have been stung ?

Is there any sign of swollen genitals and/or are her ears very warm to touch ?

It's really not possible to say for certain what the redness/swelling may be without being able to see it. It would be advisable to get a Vet to take a look as there are several possible causes of what you are describing. All we can do is offer guesses, which is not really very helpful for Bunny x

Hi,

Thanks,

Azucena

Really difficult to say I'm afraid ... It could be a number of things.

Have you got a good rabbit savvy vet?

Are you in the UK ? If so is your Rabbit fully vaccinated ?

Could Bunny have been stung ?

Is there any sign of swollen genitals and/or are her ears very warm to touch ?

It's really not possible to say for certain what the redness/swelling may be without being able to see it. It would be advisable to get a Vet to take a look as there are several possible causes of what you are describing. All we can do is offer guesses, which is not really very helpful for Bunny x

Yes, in the UK. She's had the combi vaccine but not the new RHD2 as I've struggled to find anywhere that stocks it.
She lives outside so I guess its a possibility but haven't seen any bees/wasps/etc with the cold.
No swollen genitals or hot ears.
Would attaching a picture help? I'm going to try..

Last edited:
Will she let you have a look under her lip ? Do her incisors look normal ?

Is the water in her sipper bottle/bowl frozen ?

Will she let you have a look under her lip ? Do her incisors look normal ?

Is the water in her sipper bottle/bowl frozen ?

Her incisors looked normal, hard to see under the lip really as she isn't one for being stroked never mind picked up (I got bitten for the trouble and it drew blood! - don't suppose I need to put anything on my own bite as a precaution?).

Water bowl was fine last night I'm pretty sure. Not frozen now either.

It looks like some soreness from a nasal discharge to me. Have you just noticed it, or do you think it might have been there some time?

Has she had any nasal discharge issues in the past?

Pretty sure its a new issue, and she hasn't had any nasal discharge problems before.

So, I've just been to check on Rose again and she's got nasal discharge and very damp inner front legs. I'm sure this wasn't the case earlier today!

I'll ring the vets on Monday.. I presume its ok to wait until then as she's still very greedy etc?

Do you know what the likely cause and problem could be? Long/short term? Over the last 7 or so months she's met 5 new rabbits (bonding attempts), with a new rabbit currently living in the other half of her shed (separated by mesh) if this could have influenced anything.

So, I've just been to check on Rose again and she's got nasal discharge and very damp inner front legs. I'm sure this wasn't the case earlier today!

I'll ring the vets on Monday.. I presume its ok to wait until then as she's still very greedy etc?

Do you know what the likely cause and problem could be? Long/short term? Over the last 7 or so months she's met 5 new rabbits (bonding attempts), with a new rabbit currently living in the other half of her shed (separated by mesh) if this could have influenced anything.

Oh gosh, I thought it was.

She will be OK until Monday, just keep a watch on her.

A depleted immune system is very often the cause for opportunistic bacteria to take over. I would give her some echinacea starting tomorrow and continue for three weeks to boost the immune system. This sort of thing:

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

But capsules broken open would also be OK (that's what I use).

Stress causes immune to be compromised, but some rabbits tolerate it better than others.

I find this article useful:

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

Nebuliser is good (if you have one) with saline. The other thing I recommend is Bisolvon which dilutes the mucous and helps it to pass more easily.

I hope something there helps :)

Oh gosh, I thought it was.

She will be OK until Monday, just keep a watch on her.

A depleted immune system is very often the cause for opportunistic bacteria to take over. I would give her some echinacea starting tomorrow and continue for three weeks to boost the immune system. This sort of thing:

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

But capsules broken open would also be OK (that's what I use).

Stress causes immune to be compromised, but some rabbits tolerate it better than others.

I find this article useful:

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

Nebuliser is good (if you have one) with saline. The other thing I recommend is Bisolvon which dilutes the mucous and helps it to pass more easily.

I hope something there helps :)

Hopefully the vets have an appointment early in the week.

She's been alone for 7 months since her partner died as she's not taken to any of the males we've tried, so there has been lots of continued bonding stress for both of us! :(

Thank you for the link. Am I correct in all possible causes aren't long term and can be treated and recovered from?

Would a broken up capsule be something she would likely eat of her own accord? Or could something like this work https://www.amazon.co.uk/JustIngred...UTF8&qid=1519510747&sr=8-9&keywords=echinacea ? She's a nightmare to handle.

Unfortunately I don't have a nebuliser.

Thank you for your help!

Hopefully the vets have an appointment early in the week.

She's been alone for 7 months since her partner died as she's not taken to any of the males we've tried, so there has been lots of continued bonding stress for both of us! :(

Thank you for the link. Am I correct in all possible causes aren't long term and can be treated and recovered from?

Would a broken up capsule be something she would likely eat of her own accord? Or could something like this work https://www.amazon.co.uk/JustIngred...UTF8&qid=1519510747&sr=8-9&keywords=echinacea ? She's a nightmare to handle.

Unfortunately I don't have a nebuliser.

Thank you for your help!

Yes I've used that brand of echinacea before. Yes, a broken up capsule is fine too.

I had a rabbit who had this issue. No antibiotics or treatment worked and I found a way round it and he's been clear now for a year. Perfectly possible to get this under control.

See what your vet says :)

Yes I've used that brand of echinacea before. Yes, a broken up capsule is fine too.

I had a rabbit who had this issue. No antibiotics or treatment worked and I found a way round it and he's been clear now for a year. Perfectly possible to get this under control.

See what your vet says :)

Thank you I will order that now! Is there any particular amount per day I should be looking at giving?

Thanks again for your help.

Back