Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Sick bunny -big weight lose-help

Quote Originally Posted by Dina363 View Post
    The last 3 and half months have been hell. I'm stressed at work (i work in Oncology ICU and job is stressful enough) but everything with Nana was a bit to much sometimes. My parents did help me with Nana when i was at work. We are still fighting for her. But since thing are not getting better i dont know what to do. She only eats veggies. Doesnt try hay or pellets. Force feeding is stressful for her and me and my parents. I dont know how to make her eat hay. I dont care about pellets i just want her to eat hay but she is not interest in trying. I dont know. Does anyone have an advice how to make her eat hay. eating its not the problem since she eats every veggie that i give her. i don't know. I'm out off ideas She now gets pellets+ critical care + oxbow supp mixed 12-15ml 3-4times a day.
    I think I would try not to focus so much on her lack of hay. A Rabbit with serious renal problems such as Nana's often refuses dry food types but will eat a reasonable amount of fresh veg/herbs/forages.

Do you have access to fresh grass ? If so offering Nana some hand picked grass may tempt her to increase her fibre intake. As she is finding the syringe feeds stressful maybe you could try making up a wet feed for her that can be left down in a bowl. Some mashed up pellets and CC mixed with some grated carrot/grated apple. Some Rabbits will eat a mix like that, although not all will.

I think you are doing all within your power to help Nana. Whilst we know she cannot get better, I hope that she can remain as comfortable as possible for as long as possible xx

A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Dina, I completely understand the stress of a long term sick bunny

As you say, your job is stressful enough. Eating veggies is good. I would think that if she doesn't eat hay it may be because she can't eat it. Dental issues can prevent a rabbit eating hay and even if they are corrected it's sometimes very difficult to get an older rabbit to eat hay once the dentition has gone.

You could try stopping or cutting down the syringe feeding to see whether she will take any more on her own? I am pleased she is eating. How is she within herself?

I know you are fighting for her, and it's very hard going x
    She eats a lot of fresh veggies all day (my mom has a garden just for her ) she likes critical care, eats little of hay here and there but not much. I will try to wet some pellets and see if she will eat them. She is herself maybe 70%, she begs for treats but when i give her something she just goes away. She didnt lose any weight she is still +- 2kg, poops are almost normal and there is a lot of them. Her vet called me today and ask how is she. She told me i shouldn't worry about her not eating hay as long as she eats all her veggies. Maybe she is scared to eat hard food, i dont know. Thank you for your support

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I think I would try not to focus so much on her lack of hay. A Rabbit with serious renal problems such as Nana's often refuses dry food types but will eat a reasonable amount of fresh veg/herbs/forages.

Do you have access to fresh grass ? If so offering Nana some hand picked grass may tempt her to increase her fibre intake. As she is finding the syringe feeds stressful maybe you could try making up a wet feed for her that can be left down in a bowl. Some mashed up pellets and CC mixed with some grated carrot/grated apple. Some Rabbits will eat a mix like that, although not all will.

I think you are doing all within your power to help Nana. Whilst we know she cannot get better, I hope that she can remain as comfortable as possible for as long as possible xx
    thank you for your advice. I will try to wet her pellets and see what happend. I never give her fresh grass, i am allways scared she would have problem with gas and GI after it. Maybe i should try, but im really scared of gas pain. She eats a lot of veggies and didnt loose more weight since, she is +-2kg. She like Critical care. i will try giving her maybe 1 piece of fresh grass to see what happend. Thank you!!!!

Wise Old Thumper

thank you for your advice. I will try to wet her pellets and see what happend. I never give her fresh grass, i am allways scared she would have problem with gas and GI after it. Maybe i should try, but im really scared of gas pain. She eats a lot of veggies and didnt loose more weight since, she is +-2kg. She like Critical care. i will try giving her maybe 1 piece of fresh grass to see what happend. Thank you!!!!
    Most rabbits adore fresh grass It would be really good if she would eat it and I would actually be surprised if she didn't. Obviously as you've said just give her a small amount to start with.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

She eats a lot of fresh veggies all day (my mom has a garden just for her ) she likes critical care, eats little of hay here and there but not much. I will try to wet some pellets and see if she will eat them. She is herself maybe 70%, she begs for treats but when i give her something she just goes away. She didnt lose any weight she is still +- 2kg, poops are almost normal and there is a lot of them. Her vet called me today and ask how is she. She told me i shouldn't worry about her not eating hay as long as she eats all her veggies. Maybe she is scared to eat hard food, i dont know. Thank you for your support

She sounds like a lovely rabbit and I hope it's not getting you down too much right now - the looking after her and the worry.

Yes I wouldn't worry about her not eating hay, so long as she eats her veggies!

Regarding the grass, just be careful because if she hasn't eaten grass before, the grass now is new spring grass and can be very rich and cause gas as you suspect it might. If you are going to feed fresh grass, I would find the old raggy grass from last year, which isn't so rich and is more like hay
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

Default Update :(

first of all i want to than all of you for helping me during hardest time of my life and give me advices. Sadly today my beautiful Nana passed away. Because of complications that happend 2 days ago i have to put her down Thank you all for everything. I wish you and your bunnys everything the best.

Thank you

Dina

Warren Veteran

Dina I'm so sorry Nana's time came. I know you loved that little bun with all your heart. She was lucky to have you. Sweet dreams Nana xx

Wise Old Thumper

I am so sorry to read your sad update about your precious Nana You really did try so hard for her.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Iím so sorry to hear that you have lost her you did everything you could for her xx

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

So sorry you had to say goodbye to little Nana, you fought so hard for her and loved her so much. X
    Lance got your wings 31/7/13. I will never forget u my gentle sensitive soul x x x Rosie my beautiful baby girl. . Said goodbye on 6/7/15. Brave Code, u made us so proud my gentle boy. Hope all of you is working now my snuffler,
    22 August 2016. Oliver my gentle baby boy, hope you have found the others, 30th July 2017. Will never forget you all my angels.