Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sick bunny -big weight lose-help

Default Sick bunny -big weight lose-help

My bunny is 5 years old and I've been having problems with her health since 27.12.17. First she stoped eating and pooping, i took her to the v vet and after it was ok for maybe 14 days. Then she started peeng blood and vet give us antibiotic (they helped with pee but were bad for stomach.) After i stoped giving her antibiotic she stoped eating again. I'v took her to the vet again and it was very bad GI (vet didn't know if she's going to make it). I took her to the vet everyday for 16 day to get her medicine but eating wasn't better i had to force feed her the whole time and i stil have to. So after her stomach supposed to be better vet said she needs teeth trim (that was on 21.2.) and today she still doesn't eat all by her self. I feed her 4 times a day and she eats a little bit of veggies but no hay or pellets. I need advice how to deal with this she already lost 700g (24.6 ounces) in 2 months. I need someone to give me advice how to deal with this, vets in my country are not really bunny experts and I cant ask nobody for advice because bunnys are not really common in here.
    Please help me. Did someone have this problem?

I am also sorry for my bad English

Thank you for your help

Dina & Nana (bunny)

Quote Originally Posted by Dina363 View Post
    My bunny is 5 years old and I've been having problems with her health since 27.12.17. First she stoped eating and pooping, i took her to the v vet and after it was ok for maybe 14 days. Then she started peeng blood and vet give us antibiotic (they helped with pee but were bad for stomach.) After i stoped giving her antibiotic she stoped eating again. I'v took her to the vet again and it was very bad GI (vet didn't know if she's going to make it). I took her to the vet everyday for 16 day to get her medicine but eating wasn't better i had to force feed her the whole time and i stil have to. So after her stomach supposed to be better vet said she needs teeth trim (that was on 21.2.) and today she still doesn't eat all by her self. I feed her 4 times a day and she eats a little bit of veggies but no hay or pellets. I need advice how to deal with this she already lost 700g (24.6 ounces) in 2 months. I need someone to give me advice how to deal with this, vets in my country are not really bunny experts and I cant ask nobody for advice because bunnys are not really common in here.
    Please help me. Did someone have this problem?

I am also sorry for my bad English

Thank you for your help

Dina & Nana (bunny)
    Has the Vet suggested running some diagnostics to try to identify the primary cause of your Rabbit's illness ? From what you have posted it sounds as though her GI tract problems are a secondary symptom as opposed to a primary problem. Diagnostics may include a full blood profile, abdominal /chest Xray and urinalysis.

Is your Rabbit spayed ?

Is she still passing blood ?

A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

She is spayed (2015) and she is not passing blood anymore. but she also doesn't pee in her toilet anymore, she pees everywhere they thought teeth were the primary problem. She only had Abdominal Ultrasound and it showed that her bowel and stomach were empty thats it. She is smelling the food but doesnt eat it. i give her 3 tipes of hay, treats, veggies, i cant get critical care in my country but i did found something similar. I mix her pellets and i give her that every 4-6h. i'm really trying to make her eat something for herself. sorry for bad english! and Thank you

She is spayed (2015) and she is not passing blood anymore. but she also doesn't pee in her toilet anymore, she pees everywhere they thought teeth were the primary problem. She only had Abdominal Ultrasound and it showed that her bowel and stomach were empty thats it. She is smelling the food but doesnt eat it. i give her 3 tipes of hay, treats, veggies, i cant get critical care in my country but i did found something similar. I mix her pellets and i give her that every 4-6h. i'm really trying to make her eat something for herself. sorry for bad english! and Thank you
    Your English is fine, dont worry about that

It would seem that pain from somewhere may be one of the reasons why she will not eat for herself. Has the Vet prescribed any ongoing pain relief and gut motility stimulants ? When you said the Vet 'trimmed' her teeth, was this done under general anaesthetic ? Skull xrays could also be useful as with Dental problems what goes on below the surface can be as significant as what can be seen in the Rabbit's mouth.

This article could be helpful to take a look at :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_..._dentistry.pdf

My Vet has posted some information about Rabbit Dental disease on her Blog :

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbi...n-cheek-teeth/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbi...sion-incisors/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbi...ses-fractures/

A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

THANK YOU FOR THE ARTICLES!! AND HELP!!

i got pain relief, vitamins and something for stomach and she gets it on time. Her trimming was done under general anesthesia - gas i think. She is moving around and smelling food. i am worried because of her weight los, thank god she was a bit fat before so now she has her ideal weight (the vet said so) but 700g in 2 months its still too much :/

Hi Dina, your English is great

I'm sorry to hear about your rabbit. It sounds like she is in pain somewhere along the line.

How confident are you in your vet? You may not have a choice, I understand.

I would syringe feed her a little more often, to keep the guts moving. I have recently had a rabbit who's guts were completely empty on every vet visit despite syringe feeding. I was feeding him every 2 hours or so throughout the day and a little less often throughout the night.

It could also be that in addition to/ instead of dental issues she has a lingering urinary infection. These are very painful and sometimes the first antibiotic given doesn't hit the spot and clear it up.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...nary+infection

https://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditi...ract_infection

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen...olithiasis.htm

I hope you get some help for her soon. I know what this is like and it's so awful when a rabbit is like this.

Hugs x
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

hi and thank you for links!
    i take her to the best vet i could get, they really tryed everything. I force feed her with mix of Science Selective pallets + goVetŪ Gastroplex (i got that by the vet) +Power Flake Parsley-Mix and Rice flakes & vegetables those are only good thing i can buy here and she use to like it, i cant get Critical care in my country. Feeding her is like a battle she hates it and im always scared that im going to hurt her. I feeded her every 4-6h with 9-12ml of mix(last 3 days)(she never eats more than 12ml no matter how much i try) before that more offten, but today i started again on 2-3h with same mix. I have a feeling like im failing her because i dont know whats wrong

hi and thank you for links!
    i take her to the best vet i could get, they really tryed everything. I force feed her with mix of Science Selective pallets + goVetŪ Gastroplex (i got that by the vet) +Power Flake Parsley-Mix and Rice flakes & vegetables those are only good thing i can buy here and she use to like it, i cant get Critical care in my country. Feeding her is like a battle she hates it and im always scared that im going to hurt her. I feeded her every 4-6h with 9-12ml of mix(last 3 days)(she never eats more than 12ml no matter how much i try) before that more offten, but today i started again on 2-3h with same mix. I have a feeling like im failing her because i dont know whats wrong

Hi Dina

You're very welcome

It sounds like your giving a broad range of good nutrition there

Please don't feel like you're failing her because you don't know what's wrong. We all feel we should be 'all knowing' but even the vets aren't that so why would we expect ourselves to be? Please be kind to yourself ...

I found feeding a bit more often helped, but in your case not if it's a real battle. Just do what you can.

Fluids at the vet may make a difference, if that's at all possible for you?

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Hi Dina

You're very welcome

It sounds like your giving a broad range of good nutrition there

Please don't feel like you're failing her because you don't know what's wrong. We all feel we should be 'all knowing' but even the vets aren't that so why would we expect ourselves to be? Please be kind to yourself ...

I found feeding a bit more often helped, but in your case not if it's a real battle. Just do what you can.

Fluids at the vet may make a difference, if that's at all possible for you?
    really thank you!
    i will try to feed her as much ass possible and im planning to call her vet on monday to see what more can i do and to get her chech up again. I will do anything for her even if it means taking her to the vet everyday.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!

really thank you!
    i will try to feed her as much ass possible and im planning to call her vet on monday to see what more can i do and to get her chech up again. I will do anything for her even if it means taking her to the vet everyday.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!

When my rabbit was poorly (he's only just better) I was at the vet every other day. He was on IV fluids to hydrate the contents of the gut. Does the pain relief not help at all?

Hopefully you can get enough food into her for the time being. Is she passing any poo?