• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sick bunny -big weight lose-help

UPDATE

so i took Nana to special vet who made whole body xray and we found out she has calcination on her kidneys, that is causing her pain and thats why she is not eating. For now vet said she should get Spasmex every 12h for view days and then we will see how it goes. We didnt decide for blood test because its done in GA and she doesnt respons well on GA so we will wait with it. I still have to force feed her but only 3-4times a day, she does eatst fresh veggies and little bit of hay alone so vet said that enough. she weights + - 2000g now. I hope Spasmex works and she starts to eat more alone. She said there are some surgerys for that but are not always successful so for now i didnt decide for agressive treatment. I feel so bad for that but i dont want to cause her more pain and stress. Does anyone have any experience with kidney problem by rabbits? i am kind of lost right now. i'm loosing her little by little :( Today is 5 years since i got her :( not a good news for today, but im happy that i know whats wrong.
does anyone have any advice for me?

Hi Dina and thank you for your update.

There's a case study here, and I know the owner of the rabbit. She was incredibly keen to study all aspects of the problem.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/calcium-reading-case-study/

But the good news is, now you know what you are dealing with ... I always try to see the positive :)

I really hope the Spasmex helps her. Sending you hugs and vibes for her well-being xx

I am sorry to hear that Dana has renal calcification. It is quite a common problem in Pet Rabbits, unfortunately. There is some information about the condition on the following links :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Kidney_calcificationRabbit.htm

*Warning graphic images on the following links*

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm

http://news.vet.tufts.edu/2016/01/diagnosing-renal-disease-in-rabbits-clinical-case-challenge/

And some information about dietary calcium:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...t-for-rabbits-with-urinary-tract-disease/view

I hope that the Spasmex may help reduce the severity of her renal pain xx

Thank you. I'm now trying to make her diet better now. And thank you for links!!!
Love Dina & Nana

Hi Dina and thank you for your update.

There's a case study here, and I know the owner of the rabbit. She was incredibly keen to study all aspects of the problem.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/calcium-reading-case-study/

But the good news is, now you know what you are dealing with ... I always try to see the positive :)

I really hope the Spasmex helps her. Sending you hugs and vibes for her well-being xx

Thank you!. yes i'm happy that i know whats wrong with her. I'm trying to make her better diet. I hope it works :)

Thank you. I'm now trying to make her diet better now. And thank you for links!!!
Love Dina & Nana

Whilst changing her diet cant reverse the renal calcification already present it may still be of some benefit. I hope so. Has the Vet suggested additional ongoing fluid therapy ? I am not sure if the Vet has run a blood profile to check on Nana's renal function ?

I hope the Spasmex has helped to reduce Nana's discomfort ?

Hi Dina :)

I hope Nana is comfortable?

I wondered how you are doing with this prolonged stress? Are you managing to cope and get some rest?

Whilst changing her diet cant reverse the renal calcification already present it may still be of some benefit. I hope so. Has the Vet suggested additional ongoing fluid therapy ? I am not sure if the Vet has run a blood profile to check on Nana's renal function ?

I hope the Spasmex has helped to reduce Nana's discomfort ?

she only get spasmex for now. I have to call tomorow to update vet. Problem is because she is now eating a lot of veggies, poop are almost normal but she doens't eat hay or pellets :( so now we have a hay problem :( i stil force feed her 3-4 times a day the rest she has veggies :/ We didn't decide to make a blood test because its done under GA and she is not taking GA good, beside blood has to be send in Germany to test.

Hi Dina :)

I hope Nana is comfortable?

I wondered how you are doing with this prolonged stress? Are you managing to cope and get some rest?

The last 3 and half months have been hell. I'm stressed at work (i work in Oncology ICU and job is stressful enough) but everything with Nana was a bit to much sometimes. My parents did help me with Nana when i was at work. We are still fighting for her. But since thing are not getting better i dont know what to do. She only eats veggies. Doesnt try hay or pellets. Force feeding is stressful for her and me and my parents. I dont know how to make her eat hay. I dont care about pellets i just want her to eat hay but she is not interest in trying. I dont know. Does anyone have an advice how to make her eat hay. eating its not the problem since she eats every veggie that i give her. i don't know. I'm out off ideas :( She now gets pellets+ critical care + oxbow supp mixed 12-15ml 3-4times a day.

The last 3 and half months have been hell. I'm stressed at work (i work in Oncology ICU and job is stressful enough) but everything with Nana was a bit to much sometimes. My parents did help me with Nana when i was at work. We are still fighting for her. But since thing are not getting better i dont know what to do. She only eats veggies. Doesnt try hay or pellets. Force feeding is stressful for her and me and my parents. I dont know how to make her eat hay. I dont care about pellets i just want her to eat hay but she is not interest in trying. I dont know. Does anyone have an advice how to make her eat hay. eating its not the problem since she eats every veggie that i give her. i don't know. I'm out off ideas :( She now gets pellets+ critical care + oxbow supp mixed 12-15ml 3-4times a day.

Dina, I completely understand the stress of a long term sick bunny :(

As you say, your job is stressful enough. Eating veggies is good. I would think that if she doesn't eat hay it may be because she can't eat it. Dental issues can prevent a rabbit eating hay and even if they are corrected it's sometimes very difficult to get an older rabbit to eat hay once the dentition has gone.

You could try stopping or cutting down the syringe feeding to see whether she will take any more on her own? I am pleased she is eating. How is she within herself?

I know you are fighting for her, and it's very hard going x

I think I would try not to focus so much on her lack of hay. A Rabbit with serious renal problems such as Nana's often refuses dry food types but will eat a reasonable amount of fresh veg/herbs/forages.

Do you have access to fresh grass ? If so offering Nana some hand picked grass may tempt her to increase her fibre intake. As she is finding the syringe feeds stressful maybe you could try making up a wet feed for her that can be left down in a bowl. Some mashed up pellets and CC mixed with some grated carrot/grated apple. Some Rabbits will eat a mix like that, although not all will.

I think you are doing all within your power to help Nana. Whilst we know she cannot get better, I hope that she can remain as comfortable as possible for as long as possible xx

Dina, I completely understand the stress of a long term sick bunny :(

As you say, your job is stressful enough. Eating veggies is good. I would think that if she doesn't eat hay it may be because she can't eat it. Dental issues can prevent a rabbit eating hay and even if they are corrected it's sometimes very difficult to get an older rabbit to eat hay once the dentition has gone.

You could try stopping or cutting down the syringe feeding to see whether she will take any more on her own? I am pleased she is eating. How is she within herself?

I know you are fighting for her, and it's very hard going x

She eats a lot of fresh veggies all day (my mom has a garden just for her :) ) she likes critical care, eats little of hay here and there but not much. I will try to wet some pellets and see if she will eat them. She is herself maybe 70%, she begs for treats but when i give her something she just goes away. She didnt lose any weight she is still +- 2kg, poops are almost normal and there is a lot of them. Her vet called me today and ask how is she. She told me i shouldn't worry about her not eating hay as long as she eats all her veggies. Maybe she is scared to eat hard food, i dont know. Thank you for your support

I think I would try not to focus so much on her lack of hay. A Rabbit with serious renal problems such as Nana's often refuses dry food types but will eat a reasonable amount of fresh veg/herbs/forages.

Do you have access to fresh grass ? If so offering Nana some hand picked grass may tempt her to increase her fibre intake. As she is finding the syringe feeds stressful maybe you could try making up a wet feed for her that can be left down in a bowl. Some mashed up pellets and CC mixed with some grated carrot/grated apple. Some Rabbits will eat a mix like that, although not all will.

I think you are doing all within your power to help Nana. Whilst we know she cannot get better, I hope that she can remain as comfortable as possible for as long as possible xx

thank you for your advice. I will try to wet her pellets and see what happend. I never give her fresh grass, i am allways scared she would have problem with gas and GI after it. Maybe i should try, but im really scared of gas pain. She eats a lot of veggies and didnt loose more weight since, she is +-2kg. She like Critical care. i will try giving her maybe 1 piece of fresh grass to see what happend. Thank you!!!!

thank you for your advice. I will try to wet her pellets and see what happend. I never give her fresh grass, i am allways scared she would have problem with gas and GI after it. Maybe i should try, but im really scared of gas pain. She eats a lot of veggies and didnt loose more weight since, she is +-2kg. She like Critical care. i will try giving her maybe 1 piece of fresh grass to see what happend. Thank you!!!!

Most rabbits adore fresh grass :) It would be really good if she would eat it and I would actually be surprised if she didn't. Obviously as you've said just give her a small amount to start with.

She eats a lot of fresh veggies all day (my mom has a garden just for her :) ) she likes critical care, eats little of hay here and there but not much. I will try to wet some pellets and see if she will eat them. She is herself maybe 70%, she begs for treats but when i give her something she just goes away. She didnt lose any weight she is still +- 2kg, poops are almost normal and there is a lot of them. Her vet called me today and ask how is she. She told me i shouldn't worry about her not eating hay as long as she eats all her veggies. Maybe she is scared to eat hard food, i dont know. Thank you for your support

She sounds like a lovely rabbit and I hope it's not getting you down too much right now - the looking after her and the worry.

Yes I wouldn't worry about her not eating hay, so long as she eats her veggies!

Regarding the grass, just be careful because if she hasn't eaten grass before, the grass now is new spring grass and can be very rich and cause gas as you suspect it might. If you are going to feed fresh grass, I would find the old raggy grass from last year, which isn't so rich and is more like hay :)

Update :(

first of all i want to than all of you for helping me during hardest time of my life and give me advices. Sadly today my beautiful Nana passed away. Because of complications that happend 2 days ago i have to put her down :( Thank you all for everything. I wish you and your bunnys everything the best.

Thank you

Dina

Dina I'm so sorry Nana's time came. I know you loved that little bun with all your heart. She was lucky to have you. Sweet dreams Nana xx

I am so sorry to read your sad update about your precious Nana :cry: You really did try so hard for her.

I’m so sorry to hear that you have lost her :cry: you did everything you could for her xx

Back