• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panicked bunny mummy!! Ear bite

bunny mummy 1

Warren Scout
Okay so I went into my babies this morning and Oreo had a piece about the size of a 2p of his ear on the floor!!! There was no blood but an actual piece of ear on the floor!!

Made me feel sick!! It's not bleeding and there was no blood but I dont know what to do. He's eating normally and I gave him some metacam for the pain as I imagine it hurt.

My partner said we should get some antiseptic wash to make sure it's clean and just monitor him.

My other issue is that he is newly bonded to my pair (6weeks bonded). It definitely wasn't bailey as she's as gentle as anything. But Oreo sometimes chases Milo the male of the couple and I'm imagining that's what he did and Milo just got annoyed and turned round and bit him. I haven't separated them as this is the first scuffle and they were eating happily together this morning and sitting together but I'm worried.

Please advise :(

WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES

FE851F9D-7C39-4DF2-A8A4-4B6FA365B28C.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
3B25788C-0A32-46BD-B7BD-0EC375B91087.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
A958788D-030A-4405-9680-6BCBB224E3C5.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Poor lad :cry: Have you checked him all over and also checked the other two Rabbits to make sure there are no other wounds ? I would definitely bathe it, but with a sterile saline solution. Personally I would want a Vet to take a look at the injury, but some people may advice you to just keep an eye on it for signs of infection. My default setting is always to consult a Vet in cases where-by a Rabbit sustains a nasty wound xx

Poor lad :cry: I would definitely bathe it, but with a sterile saline solution. Personally I would want a Vet to take a look at the injury, but some people may advice you to just keep an eye on it for signs of infection. My default setting is always to consult a Vet in cases of where-by a Rabbit sustains a nasty wound xx

I'm heart broken I feel so bad. I'm going to give my local vet a call I think. I have pain killers so can administer them. Think it's as bit past sticking it back on!

Okay so I went into my babies this morning and Oreo had a piece about the size of a 2p of his ear on the floor!!! There was no blood but an actual piece of ear on the floor!!

Made me feel sick!! It's not bleeding and there was no blood but I dont know what to do. He's eating normally and I gave him some metacam for the pain as I imagine it hurt.

My partner said we should get some antiseptic wash to make sure it's clean and just monitor him.

My other issue is that he is newly bonded to my pair (6weeks bonded). It definitely wasn't bailey as she's as gentle as anything. But Oreo sometimes chases Milo the male of the couple and I'm imagining that's what he did and Milo just got annoyed and turned round and bit him. I haven't separated them as this is the first scuffle and they were eating happily together this morning and sitting together but I'm worried.

Please advise :(

I'm so sorry to hear this - what a shock!

Personally I wouldn't do anything to it, or put anything on it until you've seen a vet.

Have you had to separate the bunnies?

I'm so sorry to hear this - what a shock!

Personally I wouldn't do anything to it, or put anything on it until you've seen a vet.

Have you had to separate the bunnies?

No I've not separated them just dramatically reduced their space so no fighting for territory. I did go into them in the middle of the night as I heard chasing and Milo was panting so I think he had been running away from Oreo so I'm guessing Milo just got fed up of him chasing him. They were say eating next to each other this morning and no scuffles then

No I've not separated them just dramatically reduced their space so no fighting for territory. I did go into them in the middle of the night as I heard chasing and Milo was panting so I think he had been running away from Oreo so I'm guessing Milo just got fed up of him chasing him. They were say eating next to each other this morning and no scuffles then

Jeez, bunnies are just a law to themselves.

I think you did right by them, as you don't want to break what seems to be an OK bond.

So we let them play out in their room tonight and the boys started to fight. Put them back in their house and they started grooming each other. Think we are going to have to start again with limited space. It makes l me sad as I have to keep them closed in but can't risk more accidents if they decide to fight for territory

So we let them play out in their room tonight and the boys started to fight. Put them back in their house and they started grooming each other. Think we are going to have to start again with limited space. It makes l me sad as I have to keep them closed in but can't risk more accidents if they decide to fight for territory

Oh dear, I'm sorry they fought again :(

I think that's all you can do at the moment. Bonding can be so stressful with rabbits.

I hope they quieten down overnight.

Is the ear looking OK?

Oh dear, I'm sorry they fought again :(

I think that's all you can do at the moment. Bonding can be so stressful with rabbits.

I hope they quieten down overnight.

Is the ear looking OK?

Ear is looking okay. Gave him some metacam and baytril you wouldn't even notice from the way he's acting
0054BCF7-F78A-49AE-BD24-29540619FF07.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have to say I have been through something similar when our boys were bonding and we were trying to do it ourselves. One time Luther managed to get truffles glorious lop ear and held on for dear life making a hole/slit that bled a fair bit.

The next time after that healed and we tried again, same thing but as Luther grabbed Truffles ear and Truffle screamed, we tried to get Luther off him and I think it dragged Luther’s teeth, because poor truffle ended up with a long gash down his ear. Not much blood though considering.

They have a good blood supply to their ears so they heal super fast. It’s just keeping an eye out for infection in the wound or under scabs.

Hope they play nicely soon! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say I have been through something similar when our boys were bonding and we were trying to do it ourselves. One time Luther managed to get truffles glorious lop ear and held on for dear life making a hole/slit that bled a fair bit.

The next time after that healed and we tried again, same thing but as Luther grabbed Truffles ear and Truffle screamed, we tried to get Luther off him and I think it dragged Luther’s teeth, because poor truffle ended up with a long gash down his ear. Not much blood though considering.

They have a good blood supply to their ears so they heal super fast. It’s just keeping an eye out for infection in the wound or under scabs.

Hope they play nicely soon! X

They were getting on so well to lots of snuggling and head cleaning. We have locked them all in the hutch and it's gone back to bunny bliss snuggling and cleaning so maybe they just decided they wanted control of the bigger areas. It's a shame as the past few weeks they have done so well to the point we were going to get rid of the hutch. Jolly glad we didn't! Also glad we've not had to separate them though just dramatically reduce their space. It makes me sad looking at his ear because we rescued him from a situation where he was being attacked by another bunny and now this has happened to him. My poor baby. My partner wants to rename him Sharkbait from finding nemo.

They were getting on so well to lots of snuggling and head cleaning. We have locked them all in the hutch and it's gone back to bunny bliss snuggling and cleaning so maybe they just decided they wanted control of the bigger areas. It's a shame as the past few weeks they have done so well to the point we were going to get rid of the hutch. Jolly glad we didn't! Also glad we've not had to separate them though just dramatically reduce their space. It makes me sad looking at his ear because we rescued him from a situation where he was being attacked by another bunny and now this has happened to him. My poor baby. My partner wants to rename him Sharkbait from finding nemo.

It is really upsetting to witness and you feel so sorry for them after. But it’s a big positive that they have resumed order now in a smaller space. It might be they need more time in smaller spaces and these fight outbursts will lessen. But remember it’s ok, going backwards isn’t failing it’s just that they need more time, and you’ve been having great positive interactions too. Slow and steady might be the way.

Haha! We felt terrible for Truffle because he was like a beautiful show bunny before Luther came along lol. They really are like cute fluffy sharks!

It is really upsetting to witness and you feel so sorry for them after. But it’s a big positive that they have resumed order now in a smaller space. It might be they need more time in smaller spaces and these fight outbursts will lessen. But remember it’s ok, going backwards isn’t failing it’s just that they need more time, and you’ve been having great positive interactions too. Slow and steady might be the way.

Haha! We felt terrible for Truffle because he was like a beautiful show bunny before Luther came along lol. They really are like cute fluffy sharks!

Yeah your right it would have been a million times worse had we had to separate them properly. Maybe we were just giving them too much freedom

Yeah your right it would have been a million times worse had we had to separate them properly. Maybe we were just giving them too much freedom

It could well be, because I knew ours was different and more difficult, where most people keep expanding over a period of a day or two, I left them a week in each space. Maybe something like that would help.

It’s hard because you feel like they are in bunny prison and you want them to be running around, but they will get there it’s just a bit sad at the start penning them in :)
Fingers crossed for you x

It could well be, because I knew ours was different and more difficult, where most people keep expanding over a period of a day or two, I left them a week in each space. Maybe something like that would help.

It’s hard because you feel like they are in bunny prison and you want them to be running around, but they will get there it’s just a bit sad at the start penning them in :)
Fingers crossed for you x

I too did it slowly. We even got to the point where when we were upstairs they got the whole upstairs floor and would happily follow one after the other everywhere, into the bathroom, into the spare room, do a few binkys, into our bedroom run around like loonies and then all flop in a pile in their room. They've been like that for a good few weeks now with not even a minor scuffle so I really don't understand where the fight even came from. They are all inseparable when free roaming each being a bit more daring on where to Venture and then the others copying. Bailey is happy to be out and leave the boys to it but on their own the boys are shy but when together they get confidence from each other and are so cheeky! Didn't do anything different and nothing new to fight over. Just very strange. They are sat in their house bailey cleaning Oreo whilst Oreo cleans Milo. Oreo definitely isn't holding a grudge!

Back