• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur Mites

I think Finn has fur mites. Your typical flaky, cracked skin on his back (bad dandruff) which is giving him a sore eye. His due to go into the vets on Saturday morning. Myrtle has been Flea and Tick treated so she should be ok. It looks like he has Cheyletiella Parasitovorax

Is there anything I should do to treat his cage and my lounge to stop it coming back once treated / and now? What about humans? is there anything I should use on myself to stop myself getting it?

I think Finn has fur mites. Your typical flaky, cracked skin on his back (bad dandruff) which is giving him a sore eye. His due to go into the vets on Saturday morning. Myrtle has been Flea and Tick treated so she should be ok. It looks like he has Cheyletiella Parasitovorax

Is there anything I should do to treat his cage and my lounge to stop it coming back once treated / and now? What about humans? is there anything I should use on myself to stop myself getting it?

Hi there :wave:

What you doing getting mites eh Finn?

If you treat the rabbits, with the spot on treatment (either over the counter or from the vet) it should be enough without spraying chemicals over your carpets and furnishings.

Regards you getting the mites, it's very unlikely you will get anything at all. This article says you may get a transient itching, but it's not common:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

I know his a little monkey :lol:

Which Spot On can they use, is there one for rabbits? I will try and get some either online now or this evening.

Thanks guys!

I know his a little monkey :lol:

Which Spot On can they use, is there one for rabbits? I will try and get some either online now or this evening.

Thanks guys!

You're welcome :)

The normal treatment for mites is ivermectin:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Pharmaq_Ivermectin_Spot-On_Drops/c19097/

It's usually a spot on treatment, for all rabbits at the same time (if any), and then it's repeated two weeks later. Some vets also repeat the dose a further two weeks after that to interrupt the life cycle of the mite

Good luck xx

He has been to the vet and he was prescribed Xenex Unltra Spot On. I hadn't read the reviews about this product before applying it but I since have as Finn (like many buns) isn't liking it much. He has mad moments where he dashes around his cage. Should I wash it off or wait for him to settle down with it? Its once every 2 weeks. I am just worried its sore? His skin is more a pinky colour then red.

He has been to the vet and he was prescribed Xenex Unltra Spot On. I hadn't read the reviews about this product before applying it but I since have as Finn (like many buns) isn't liking it much. He has mad moments where he dashes around his cage. Should I wash it off or wait for him to settle down with it? Its once every 2 weeks. I am just worried its sore? His skin is more a pinky colour then red.

I would give the vet a call, report the side effects, and wait for their advice.

I did that last night and they suggested washing the area to remove any residue otherwise the medication would have already sunk into the system. Which is fine as I want it to work. Since washing the area he is better -- and the panic moments seems to have stopped this morning. There is a bald patch where the drops have been applied and I have eye drops for his eyes as the mites have irritated his eyes.

Before re applying in a couple of weeks I will speak to my vet about weather i should do so or not.

I did that last night and they suggested washing the area to remove any residue otherwise the medication would have already sunk into the system. Which is fine as I want it to work. Since washing the area he is better -- and the panic moments seems to have stopped this morning. There is a bald patch where the drops have been applied and I have eye drops for his eyes as the mites have irritated his eyes.

Before re applying in a couple of weeks I will speak to my vet about weather i should do so or not.

OK. Sounds like your vet is on the case :thumb:

Bumping this up for you!...Personally I wouldn't use anymore of the Xenex.

It is a nasty product and its stressful seeing the bunny react to it. That said it works pretty well. I guess its just a strong drug with side effects. Ill speak to my vet about a possible alternative however he only needs one more dose in a couple of weeks. Maybe just use less drops.

Along with the mites it has given him a crusty runny eyes which he is also being treated for. He is on eye drops twice a day. I just wanted to know how to get the sticky dried crusts off of his fur? Its to short to cut with scissors. Any tips?

Along with the mites it has given him a crusty runny eyes which he is also being treated for. He is on eye drops twice a day. I just wanted to know how to get the sticky dried crusts off of his fur? Its to short to cut with scissors. Any tips?

If you can safely cut the fur around the eyes then do it. I use blunt curved scissors when cutting rabbit fur.

Otherwise I would bathe with cooled boiled water with a cotton wool pad twice a day to ease the crusts off.

A rabbit having mites is a sign of a lowered immune system, and this has probably resulted in the appearance of an underlying eye infection. Hopefully it will clear up soon :)

He was quite happy to allow me to clean his eye with warm water using my finger (didn't like the cloth :lol: )
His on eye drops for his eyes and spot on for the mites.

Yeah poor baby -- the mites seemed to have come on after his VHD Jab and the eye started to water after the mites. Poor boy. His been through the mill but keeps on fighting :thumb:

He was quite happy to allow me to clean his eye with warm water using my finger (didn't like the cloth :lol: )
His on eye drops for his eyes and spot on for the mites.

Yeah poor baby -- the mites seemed to have come on after his VHD Jab and the eye started to water after the mites. Poor boy. His been through the mill but keeps on fighting :thumb:

Power to his little paws x

Back