• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog run/kennel - is this suitable?

randomname

Young Bun
https://dogkennelandrun.co.uk/product/wilton-double-dog-kennel-and-run/

Have been looking at the 20ft version of this. Does any one have any thoughts? My yard is concrete, but would I still need a base for under the shed area to stop it rotting? Is the mesh suitable for rabbits/to keep rats out? Does anyone have a set up like this? Is it easy to clean? Any mods I can make to bunny proof/upgrade it for the fuffballs?

Any thoughts on it welcome :)

Edit : looking into it, the timber is tanalised. I plan on painting the outside, what can I do to the inside to make it safe? Would I need to line the inside of the shed area to stop them chewing out anyway? I was thinking OSB with lino stuck to it with some insulation board behind.

Last edited:
That looks fine! Would opt for a smaller mesh though to stop mice, max 1/2 inch, ideally 1/4 inch welded mesh.

The shed part would need to be up so it's not flat to the floor like normal sheds, and in that would need to make sure there's no gaps under the run part that could let mice and rats in.

Yeah that mesh looks way too big doesn't it? I can email them & ask I suppose :)
I'm such a DIY disaster, I have no clue. What kind of base does the shed need?

I have a Boyles aviary style run and I put it directly on the slabbed ground. Ive just put guttering round it so the majority of water runs off as it was starting to rot at the bottom. This has really helped. My shed has a wooden frame that it sits on, this was supplied by the shed people. I think the wire is way too big, I had a random mink round the garden in my old house, it didn't get in to my rabbits but went next door and got into their chickens as the wire gauge was bigger. Killed them all.
Have you looked at Boyles or Manor pet housing? If you go with this company, I'm sure they'd put smaller mesh on, also I'd check what the shed bit sits on as if it's directly on the ground, it will eventually rot. They may have lifted it off the ground a bit to create air underneath which would keep it from getting too damp.
Looks like they do a rabbit one with smaller mesh and the shed bit does look raised up so looks fine to me 😀

Last edited:
Back