• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded rabbits fighting!

bunmom831

New Kit
I have a 10 month old female Holland lop. She is spayed. She has a bunhun male who is an almost 4 month old Holland lop. He is scheduled for his Neuter in 2 weeks. They were getting along just fine until last night. She tried to hump him and he wasn't having it. The broke into an all out tussle. Fur was flying and they were chasing and grabbing at each other. What should I do? I have them in separate cages now.

I have a 10 month old female Holland lop. She is spayed. She has a bunhun male who is an almost 4 month old Holland lop. He is scheduled for his Neuter in 2 weeks. They were getting along just fine until last night. She tried to hump him and he wasn't having it. The broke into an all out tussle. Fur was flying and they were chasing and grabbing at each other. What should I do? I have them in separate cages now.

You will need to keep them separated until your lad has said goodbye to his plums. If your Doe keeps trying to hump him he will become more and more aggressive and a serious fight could develop. Also, the more aggro that goes on now the harder it'll be to get the pair to live happily together even after he is neutered. I'd leave any attempt to rebond them for at least 6 weeks after his op to allow for wound healing and for his hormones to settle somewhat.

Hi there

I think you should leave them in their separate cages and try rebonding after he's been neutered.

After his neuter it could take up to 12 weeks for his hormones to settle down. I would leave it a minimum of 8 weeks post castration before putting them together to make sure the bond goes well. Especially as at this time of year (coming into Spring) the rabbits get more frisky than usual - Spring Fever it's called :)

I hope this helps x

Totally agree with both posts above, keep them separate & reintroduce after neutering. If you let them fight they might continue to do so after neutering so it's better to separate them now. They're both feisty, grumpy teens at the moment, so the more space you give them the less they'll fight. If you can upgrade their space a bit before they go back together you'll find it helps a lot. Good luck!

Back