• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Omlet hutch and run

Where are the windows in the housing bit?

A Rescue I am a volunteer with tried these out for rabbits a good few years ago, then gave up on the idea ...
There are none, I guess they have constant access to the run section so the front door is always open? To let light in? They just didn't seem to provide enough space - but the fact they're insulated makes me think they'd be quite comfy for the bunny to live in.

I suppose if you was only going to provide a 5/6ft hutch with no run for your rabbit - they may be better because at least grass access it's effectively the size of a small hutch though.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Personally, I think they're way too small, and overpriced. You could get a lot more space for cheaper. They've got an aesthetic that appeals to customers, and seem to be selling the design, rather than an appropriate product. They remind me of the 'pretty, colourful, fun-looking' hamster 'cages', marketed to appeal to kids, and utterly unsuitable for an animal.

I think they could work if used as part of a setup eg linked to a shed with Runaround tubes but not on their own, no. The inside space is way too small

Personally, I think they're way too small, and overpriced. You could get a lot more space for cheaper. They've got an aesthetic that appeals to customers, and seem to be selling the design, rather than an appropriate product. They remind me of the 'pretty, colourful, fun-looking' hamster 'cages', marketed to appeal to kids, and utterly unsuitable for an animal.
Yea they've actually got a fancy hamster cage if you have a look at their site - I'm not an expert on hamsters but I'm not actually sure it's suitable...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

they're not the worst housing I've ever seen...but they're still not entirely suitable. like others have said, they're too small and overpriced and they also don't provide adequate shade and the indoor portion is also too small.

I wonder whether the indoor portion would also be burning hot inside in the sun, assuming it's made of plastic? Plus, the bottom is made of wire (to make it fox proof) and I'm not really comfortable with wire bottoms like that...I feel like rabbits could accidentally hook a claw or paw under the wire. Especially if the ground it's put on is uneven.

There's just a lot of things that people aren't necessarily going to think of. They'll just think it's 100% suitable housing without any modifications (especially given how much money they'll have paid for it) and not consider any of this stuff.

They sell these in the US too so hopefully the bars aren't as big as it looks in some pics because it looks like raccoons could reach their hands in and grab the pet inside. I've also heard some of the latches aren't secure enough to be raccoon proof and people's chickens have been killed this way. :(

I looked at these, but they are tiny inside the hutches! Really expensive too. I'd buy one as a daytime shelter but imagine a wet windy rainy day, having to kneel down to put food in, the rabbit has no dry hopping around space. The pictures always show a sunny day, not realistic for the UK! I like the runs though but they're more expensive than the one I got made and mine was bigger.

I use the Omlet walk in runs with 6ft welfare hutches attached via runaround tubes - I have two pairs living in my two set ups and have had them for nearly 3 years. Wouldn’t use the Omlet hutch parts but I love the runs - my bunnies have 24/7 access to safe runs which are weather proofed with clear and shading covers. My ideal would be to attach sheds instead of the hutches but I’d always use the Omlet walk in runs.

I’m not sure how to attach photos to the forum these days?

Edited to add - MPH sheds ordered a few weeks ago, can’t wait!

Last edited:
I have an omelet run and the run and hutch you have shown on there, in my opinion is quite small for a rabbit especially if they were in there constantly. However I have a larger one which is completely different, I haven't got the highest one but it is much higher and a bit more square, it is very secure and allows them to have space to move even with the amount of stuff I have packed in it, it is meant to be only a run but we have used an old hutch that we leave the door open and they can go in and out of the hutch as they please. It is a very nice run but I would think of perhaps purchasing a bigger one (or even looking at it if you wanted to compare it to something else) than the one that you showed in the link.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an omelet run and the run and hutch you have shown on there, in my opinion is quite small for a rabbit especially if they were in there constantly. However I have a larger one which is completely different, I haven't got the highest one but it is much higher and a bit more square, it is very secure and allows them to have space to move even with the amount of stuff I have packed in it, it is meant to be only a run but we have used an old hutch that we leave the door open and they can go in and out of the hutch as they please. It is a very nice run but I would think of perhaps purchasing a bigger one (or even looking at it if you wanted to compare it to something else) than the one that you showed in the link.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have the lower height walk in run. I got the full height one as my back doesn’t bend so well anymore!

I like them as they are very strong (welfare hutch guy had to fetch different cutters when he came to set up my hutches and said he’d never come across such tough mesh before) and I really bought them as a) I knew I’d be moving house at some point and I felt I could dismantle and reassemble easily myself which was certainly true and b) they are modular so it’s easy (if expensive) to add to them in 1 metre blocks if you need to.

So comparing...

You can get their 6ft x 6ft x 6'8" walk in run for £450

Or from boyles pet housing you can get a 6ft x 6ft x 6ft walk in run with kick boards for £415.

Think I'd prefer to go for the wooden one as it's got to kick boards to help give more protection from predators (in a sense of stress levels - cats can't try to reach in through the gaps etc).

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

So comparing...

You can get their 6ft x 6ft x 6'8" walk in run for £450

Or from boyles pet housing you can get a 6ft x 6ft x 6ft walk in run with kick boards for £415.

Think I'd prefer to go for the wooden one as it's got to kick boards to help give more protection from predators (in a sense of stress levels - cats can't try to reach in through the gaps etc).

I use garden edging as makeshift kick boards on mine, it’s spiked into the ground and zip tied to the mesh. But yes, comparing the prices, if I a) had someone to build it for me, b) knew I wasn’t moving house and c) wasn’t in any rush to get the run, I think I’d go for the Boyles one as well.

I use garden edging as makeshift kick boards on mine, it’s spiked into the ground and zip tied to the mesh. But yes, comparing the prices, if I a) had someone to build it for me, b) knew I wasn’t moving house and c) wasn’t in any rush to get the run, I think I’d go for the Boyles one as well.
You've actually got me looking into a run again that the girls can access from the house.
Going to corner my OH and see what he thinks :)

Back