• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Welfare Hutch Co

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
I've just be looking on line at this Company's website and was surprised to see many bad reviews. I thought they were a good company so what has happened?

They've shut down now because of that fire. Their twitter account hasn't been touched since 2016.

I've had hutches from them, they're awesome. Lovely people to deal with.
I think what happened with those reviews was after the fire. If I recall correctly, they had a run of bad luck (can't remember what) then the fire that wiped literally everything out. I think they went quiet & some orders were still open so they got loads of bad reviews. I have no idea what happened after but I imagine insurance would have repaid those people their money back, but it would have taken a while, so no wonder people got angry. I can't imagine losing everything like that, fire is so scary. Maybe they lost their house &/or animals or someone was injured, or maybe they were just totally traumatised, I know I would be. I don't really blame them for going quiet if they had other more pressing matters.
I had a google around a while ago, but seems they're not in business again yet, maybe they've shut up shop for good? If anyone has any clue, let me know? I'd buy from them again.

Their insurance messed them around big time, for months & months - I don't know it was ever resolved. I really hope so. I think all the animals were ok & people ok (physically, I can't imagine the stress & trauma) but stuff was damaged. So sad

This is why I had not heard anything as it happened when my computer was out of action. What a shame!

They posted at the time, they couldn't fulfill their orders after the fire and had to ask people to wait for their money back as the insurance didn't pay out for ages and they went bust. They lost everything, workshop, tools and stuff waiting to be shipped but no one was hurt. They started another company but not hutches and had to basically start again. It was a shame, I was just about to order from them.

This is so sad, I had no idea. I’ve got two welfare hutches they are brilliant if a hutch is what you want/need, mine are nearly 3 years old and look pretty much as good as they day I got them. The company were incredible to deal with as well, what a sad outcome for them.

Back