• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch for two mini lops

Hazel172

New Kit
We are getting two mini lops and looking for some housing ideas. They will be outdoors and we have dogs so need it to be sturdy. Just incase. So I don't want to get a run that attaches to a hutch incase it got knocked off. I need a hutch with integrated run for days I am at work. When home I can lift them into a separate larger run.
So many options but some look better made than others.
Looking for 5/6 ft options. Don't have massive garden.
Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks

We are getting two mini lops and looking for some housing ideas. They will be outdoors and we have dogs so need it to be sturdy. Just incase. So I don't want to get a run that attaches to a hutch incase it got knocked off. I need a hutch with integrated run for days I am at work. When home I can lift them into a separate larger run.
So many options but some look better made than others.
Looking for 5/6 ft options. Don't have massive garden.
Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks

Hi Hazel - welcome to the Forum :wave:

There's some good info on the forum here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?311878-Outdoor-Housing-Tips-amp-Examples

And also here:

http://www.therabbithouse.com

Hello and welcome to the Forum. I would recommend Boyles 6' Daisy Hutch. Pets at Home do a similar one but it won't be as strong.

Hello and welcome to the Forum. I would recommend Boyles 6' Daisy Hutch. Pets at Home do a similar one but it won't be as strong.

The problem is I need a small run attached for days I'm at work and can't lift them into bigger run. Also have a budget of around £400 max.

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

Have you thought about a playhouse? We've picked ours up cheaply second hand, one was even free. We have a runaround tunnel which connects to their run and can open and close the runaround door whenever we need to.

If this isn't an option, we started off with a Kendal hutch and run from Home and Roost https://homeandroost.co.uk/product/hutch-6ft-kendal-hutch-run/. We've since upgraded, but all the parts are now being used elsewhere and still going strong (the top hutch has been taken off and is inside our big run and the run has been divided into section to divide a shed). They also do larger runs if you wanted to connect them, we have one of their 8x6's.

I should add that we attached the top hutch facing outwards (which is an option) as this made access easier x

Will the hutch be on the ground or paving slabs. On the ground means the bunnies can dig out, or a fox dig in. Also rabbits don't really like to be transported from hutch to run and vice-versa but if that is what you intend to do I would leave them in the hutch while you are out where they are safe. With lots of hay they will be quite content. There is no point in a small run imo especially in the cold damp conditions we have.

Will the hutch be on the ground or paving slabs. On the ground means the bunnies can dig out, or a fox dig in. Also rabbits don't really like to be transported from hutch to run and vice-versa but if that is what you intend to do I would leave them in the hutch while you are out where they are safe. With lots of hay they will be quite content. There is no point in a small run imo especially in the cold damp conditions we have.

Will be on grass. Could be on patio in winter.
Anyone use the Eglu Go rabbit hutch or run or the walk in one by Omlet?

If the run is on grass then you will need to mesh underneath the turf with weld mesh to stop them digging out or foxes etc digging in. Best to go for a permanent solution that solves everything if you can. The other thing to bear in mind is that they will need a lot of space available to them 24 hours a day, the recommended minimum by the RWAF is a minimum of 6ftx2ft hutch attached to a run a minimum space of 8ftx6ft. When I had outside bunnies I found I preferred a shed and aviary run as this was easier to clean out than a hutch and I could sit in it with them.

Runaround do tunnels which are good for attaching run to hutch/shed etc :thumb:

I have heard that the eglu stuff is expensive and does not have very large sleeping areas also that it is plastic (!) which would be very cold in winter and too hot in summer.

I have a shed and run for my four and am hoping to get an aviary from the wonderful Boyles Pet Housing.

https://boylespethousing.co.uk/

I've just looked at the Eglu Go hutch, the problem is your bunnies would be on the ground day and night, in freezing cold and damp conditions with little to shade from the sun in summer. Also grass turns to mud very quickly in the Autumn. And it is not cheap! What on earth are you paying for? I would give it lots of thought before you go ahead.

Have a look for secondhand hutches, Ive just got a 6ft double one for £40. My original set up was a double hutch, which I cut a hole in the back of and put a run on the back so they had 24 hr access. All mine have always been on slabs, the lawn turns to sludge in winter and my mini lop always gets mucky anyway.

Hi Hazel,

Did you buy a hutch? I'm in the exact same situation as you - 2 mini lops and want the same specifications of hutch!

I'd love to know what you ended up getting to help me decide!

Thanks,
Diana

I got a double storey hutch which is 5x3x3 ft and a 6x4 x 2.5ft run which I am connecting by run around tunnels and hay hutch. In retrospect I would have got an 8x4 run. The hutch is from Kernow hutches and is great. It works for us as no space for massive shed.

Back