• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vetergesic - experiences

Thank you MM, Rocky says thank you too, he's feeling much better, so much so that he bit the vet shortly before being discharged from vet hospital :shock: He's never done anything like that before, he's normally a placid little fella. He's now home, enjoying head rubs and eating hay.

I'm glad he's doing OK :D

Vetergesic is supposed to be 'out of the system' after 8 hours, but in my experience it's effects can linger on longer.

It's very useful as an adjunct to anaesthetic though .. quite apart from it's pain-killing properties :)

Thanks Jane
I picked him up from the vets today, He'd bitten her earlier when she'd checked him out :shock: He's feeling much better and is at home now.

He quite likes Vets really, he just could not eat a whole one in one sitting ! :D

So pleased that he's feeling better xx

Thanks, yes definitely. I think that's where things went wrong this time. I didn't ask enough questions and should have established the impact (drowsiness) that the Vetergesic can have. I spoke with the vet today when I picked Rocky up and asked about why she'd opted for vetergesic. Her answer was that she thought he needed extra pain relief.

Of course I may be speaking out of turn, but I would hope a vet would brief me on the possible side effects of meds, rather than expecting me to remember to ask all the questions :)

Of course I may be speaking out of turn, but I would hope a vet would brief me on the possible side effects of meds, rather than expecting me to remember to ask all the questions :)
I did wonder about this myself, especially as I'd told her that his normal routine was to be at home eating for himself (so no syringe feed etc.). It was quite a shock to see him so flat / drowsy. I reckon it's taken until last night for him to become fully alert again - so a good 48 hours

I did wonder about this myself, especially as I'd told her that his normal routine was to be at home eating for himself (so no syringe feed etc.). It was quite a shock to see him so flat / drowsy. I reckon it's taken until last night for him to become fully alert again - so a good 48 hours

Doesn't surprise me at all! However, I'm glad he's overcome the drowsy effects :)

Back