• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing new rabbit to three bonded rabbits

joybell

Warren Scout
I have 3 rabbits, Mum, son and daughter all neutered, living free range in the garden all day, large shed and aviary over night. I am considering taking on a neglected young male rabbit who currently lives in a hutch and rarely let out. I have a patio area next to the shed/aviary set up, and there is plenty of space for a hutch, attached run and daytime access to patio. The other rabbits would be able to see and sniff at him through a wire fence. I would need to neuter him once he settled. I’m hoping that once the others get used to seeing him I might be able to bond him with them. Is this possible or am I completely mad! Can’t have him as an indoor as I’ve 3 dogs as well. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks

Dad, Mum and Daughter is a good combination as Dad is probably the dominant one. The problem with trying to introduce another male is he may want to be the dominant one which could lead to fights. The other problem which might occur is when the new rabbit is next to your trio, it could spark off what is known as Referred Aggression between the trio. So these are the situations which could occur. It would be lovely if you could just introduce the new neutered rabbit and everyone get along, but rabbits don't behave how we would like them to always.

Maybe you could bond the Daughter with the new rabbit but it seems a pity to upset that family.

If possible I would leave the trio as they are and get a friend for the new one.Speaking from experience that's definitely what I would do.
Good luck whatever you decide.Its brilliant that you can offer this new bun a lovely home.

Picking him up tomorrow. He is a very pretty mini Rex, very calm and laid back. I will keep him in our conservatory ( unheated) to begin with because of the weather. He comes with a 5 ft bluebell hutch from PAH. I have a 8ft x 4 ft run which would be permanently attached, and once settled he could free roam on the patio and raised garden area. Unfortunately no access to grass unless I carried him to a run set on grass in another part of the garden. I am concerned that the buns I already have will be upset by the newcomer, and if necessary will limit visual contact. Once castrated I will either try bonding or adopt a lady friend for him . Luckily I have a spare shed which is already converted for rabbits but will have to relocate it to a suitable place away from older buns.

It’s Mum, son and daughter. The Mum is the dominant one but they are all good natured. They pretty much free range all day so don’t like being picked up and only allow stroking when eating! I would never separate them, and would consider adopting another female to bond with the new boy, after he’s been castrated. He is a mini Rex and seems quite calm, is this a trait of Rex’s?

I should have originally mentioned that just before Xmas they were a quartet. Mum, son and 2 daughters. Unfortunately one daughter broke a hind leg and after two unsuccessful operations we had to have her put to sleep. So they have been used to being a quartet

Back