• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Fights To Get Out of His Carrier

Scout61699

New Kit
Hello,

We're having an almost urgent issue with our new Rabbit Coco. We got him last week from a family who had him for about 8 months, they trained him well with his litter box and other than an bit of an attitude he's a really well mannered bunny. The issue we're having is they don't appear to have carrier trained him. Not sure how often or how they ever took him places, but we got him a soft carrier with mesh doors, we've left it in his space since last week and he's gotten used to it. He hops all around it and sometimes nibbles on the zippers. he doesn't mind going inside if I coax him with spinach, but as soon as I close the door he flips his lid!

The issue is we have to take him to the vet today and this is all we have to take him in. he also isn't comfortable with us picking him up yet. I can't pick him up at all, my SO can pick him up without him struggling, (sometimes) but after a minute he starts fidgeting like he wants down and he starts nipping her arms or clothing if she keeps holding him. When he's in the carrier, food or no food, with the door closed he is very upset, he continues to lunge at the door and scratch at it and hop around wildly looking for a way out. the end opposite the door has a zipper that opens but isn't a door, even if I put my hand in to pet him he doesn't calm, and if I let him stick his head out he just keeps trying to get out.

Are there any tricks to keep him calm in the carrier? I didn't try wrapping him in his blanket yet, would that work better to wrap him up first and then put him in? I've read a little that they're calmer if they can't see and are wrapped up. at the end of the day he has to go to the vet, we want him to have a checkup as soon as possible just to make sure he's a healthy with his teeth and weight and everything, I'm sure he'll get over the stress eventually when it's over but im a little worried about him hurting himself in there trying to get out? scratching isn't so bad it's a soft carrier, but he seems to jump at the door, is there a chance he'll try so hard he could hurt himself?

Any advice appreciated!

I'm afraid I'm not a fan of soft carriers. Rabbits can chew their way through fabrics quite quickly and I don't think they are secure enough. I use a standard rigid cat carrier with a layer of hay on the floor. You can use it as a base without the door on and do as you are now, by putting food or treats inside so he is happy to go in on a daily basis.

With the door firmly closed, he will be safe inside for the essential vet trip. If there is a problem with handling him, look for a carrier with a top opening door as well as the front opening one. It's possible to do vaccinations and general health checks with him in the carrier.

Thanks for reply Shimmer, I was thinking the same thing. We got this one through my parents for free is why we thought we'd try it.
We won't be able to get to the store to get a different carrier today, any advice on calming him in this soft carrier? He goes in ok if I put some food in there, but as soon as he notices I closed the door he gets really upset.

Sometimes you just have to go for it. Once he is in a suitable carrier, he is safe and should soon settle. If in doubt, add enough hay to make it cosier and so he can't hurt himself. Once they realise they can't get out, they usually start to calm down.It's also useful to put in some leafy wet greens so he has something with moisture to eat - useful if he is stressed and less messy than a bowl or bottle. I wouldn't put anything else in the carrier - anything solid may move around and hurt him on the journey, but you could take some water just in case.

I have some of these for our smallish rabbits (up to 2.5kg):

https://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=152&pf_id=60672

(This link should work)

Last edited:
Back