• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tips for giving tablets??

beckie20

Mama Doe
Hi there,

Does anyone have any advice/tips on how to give tablets to rabbits?

I’m thinking crushed and mixed in with critical care is probably my best bet, but that wasn’t as easy as I had hoped so just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions!

Thank you!

Ok. I’ve done quite a few different methods, the easiest I find is to get a critical care syringe, put some baby food in then put the tablet at the end of the syringe, then at least you know bun has had all of the tablet, and it’s easy to give to one bun when there’s more than one bun loving together. With critical care sometimes they don’t eat all of it and if there’s more than one bun then you have to seperated, etc

I tried all sorts with my Noah and that’s the only thing that really works. He’s on both liquid and tablet medication so I mix the liquid with the baby food then put the tablets at the end of the syringe, and it’s all gone in 10 seconds (he loves it)

I think something sweet would better mask the horrible bitter taste of tablets, so maybe some fruity baby food or fruit juice. One of my rabbits was an absolute nightmare to give antibiotic liquid to and it was really stressing him out, in the end i mixed a tiny bit of orange juice with the medicine in the syringe and rather than me trying to wrestle with him, he'd actually come up to the syringe and lick it

Back