Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lillian bunny not well - spare vibes please

Default Lillian bunny not well - spare vibes please

We've just taken Lillian bun to the vets as we were concerned about her demeanor. She seemed to not be putting weight on, despite eating reasonably normally. She seemed quite thin round her hips - especially when she sat. Her upper limbs seemed quite pronounced. She's been loosing alot of fur but I put that down to a moult. She's normally impossible to handle and pick up - she's what you call 'feisty'. But today she was easy to handle, very laid back and not her normal self. Her poop doesn't seem to be totally pellet hard - it's quite soft even though she's eating some hay. I did some research on symptoms and it seemed to point at possible worms. But I'm by no means an expert. So we've been to the vet. Lillians temperature is 41.3 which is a little too high according to the vet. She also agreed that she seemed a bit lean even though she is 2.5k. She was 2.6 when last weighed just before xmas. And she's been hoovering up the food normally so I reckon she's lost a few hundred grams. The vet agreed it 'could' be worms so we've got some panacur rabbit for that. Her teeth are fine and no ulcers on her tongue (that's Lillian, not the vet!). She's also given Lillian some metoclopramide to hopefully kick start her digestion as she felt her tummy and said she seemed to have an empty GI tract (no poop). And also some enrobactin because of the temperature - she might have some infection and they don't do baytril any more.
    So if anyone has a few spare vibes for little Lillian (presently with her nose in the food bowl scoffing for england), then she'd appreciate them and if anyone has any thoughts on what she might have, I'd welcome any views. I think we're covering as much as we can and the vet has said we can go back and do bloods if she doesn't improve. Lillian is a house bun but has been out in the garden when the weather has allowed so she could have picked up something from the grass? The main issue is her behaviour is not quite as it was. She's usually quite active and a bit independent but she hates being picked up and handled - but now she's perfectly content being held - which really isn't like her. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Wise Old Thumper

I hope it isn't anything serious - they don't do Baytril anymore? That's interesting!

I hope she will return to her usual self soon. Has she had her vaccinations (vhd1 and myxomatosis combined and separate vhd2 vaccine)
    Has anything changed in the house - new pet, new furniture, changes such as new carpet or layout changes?

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Wise Old Thumper

I'm sorry that Lillian is causing some concern. I hope that the medication will help. It's certainly possible that she has an infection as her temperature is a little on the high side. I wouldn't be concerned about that small amount of weight loss though.

Sending lots of vibes for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig 1965 View Post
    We've just taken Lillian bun to the vets as we were concerned about her demeanor. She seemed to not be putting weight on, despite eating reasonably normally. She seemed quite thin round her hips - especially when she sat. Her upper limbs seemed quite pronounced. She's been loosing alot of fur but I put that down to a moult. She's normally impossible to handle and pick up - she's what you call 'feisty'. But today she was easy to handle, very laid back and not her normal self. Her poop doesn't seem to be totally pellet hard - it's quite soft even though she's eating some hay. I did some research on symptoms and it seemed to point at possible worms. But I'm by no means an expert. So we've been to the vet. Lillians temperature is 41.3 which is a little too high according to the vet. She also agreed that she seemed a bit lean even though she is 2.5k. She was 2.6 when last weighed just before xmas. And she's been hoovering up the food normally so I reckon she's lost a few hundred grams. The vet agreed it 'could' be worms so we've got some panacur rabbit for that. Her teeth are fine and no ulcers on her tongue (that's Lillian, not the vet!). She's also given Lillian some metoclopramide to hopefully kick start her digestion as she felt her tummy and said she seemed to have an empty GI tract (no poop). And also some enrobactin because of the temperature - she might have some infection and they don't do baytril any more.
    So if anyone has a few spare vibes for little Lillian (presently with her nose in the food bowl scoffing for england), then she'd appreciate them and if anyone has any thoughts on what she might have, I'd welcome any views. I think we're covering as much as we can and the vet has said we can go back and do bloods if she doesn't improve. Lillian is a house bun but has been out in the garden when the weather has allowed so she could have picked up something from the grass? The main issue is her behaviour is not quite as it was. She's usually quite active and a bit independent but she hates being picked up and handled - but now she's perfectly content being held - which really isn't like her. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Craig my heart sank when I saw your post Poor Lillian and poor you x

Yes that temperature is high for a rabbit. It would be worth investigating why that could be. It would seem that there's some infection going on somewhere in her body .... I guess the vet could take a urine sample - you are already covering worms in the stools. And panacur is a good idea if only as a preventative anyway

It's unlikely she's picked up something from the grass outside.

However, your vet could also perhaps consider giving pain relief - Metacam, as her change in behaviour could well be due to pain.

I'm sorry you have this mystery. I really hope you can get some answers ...
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

Lots of vibes for Lillian bun xx

Sending vibes for Lillian.x

Quote Originally Posted by Craig 1965 View Post
    Poor Lillian Hopefully the Vet also prescribed a non steroidal anti inflammatory such as Metacam. Not only would this address any pain issues it would also act as an antipyretic and reduce her fever.

I am assuming that Lillian is up to date with both her Vaccinations ? Did the Vet check her ears by looking into them with an otoscope ? Did he/she have a good listen to Lillian's heart rate/rhythm ?

Given the facts you have mentioned personally I would also request that the Vet runs a full blood profile to check on her major organ function, especially that of her Liver.

Sending off a faecal sample for analysis may also be useful. A heavy coccidia load could be one thing to rule out.

Is Lillian drinking a lot more than normal ? Does she appear to be making an increased respiratory effort (breathing 'heavily') ?

Sending lots of vibes for her, please keep us updated if you can xx

Myxomatosis , RHD1 & RHD2 - Vaccinations are ESSENTIAL to protect your Rabbit(s)
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...rum-Moderator)

Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF)~ Britains Biggest and Best Organisation for Everyone who Loves Rabbits
    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Reference links for various Rabbit Health problems :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...99#post7048099

Sending lots and lots of vibes x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Even the strongest need to have a day of weakness

Sending vibes for Lillian