Thread: green ideas

Default green ideas

I am struggling what type of greens I can give Noah. I used to give him kale but I hear I shouldn't give all the time? started to give him few Leaves of basil which he liked but again I hear I shouldn't give too much of that either? just want some ideas on something safe and okay to give once a day without upsetting his stomach.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

Hi, I give my rabbit a mixture of green leafy vegetables and herbs. I've never noticed any problem with his stomach, although some rabbits do seem to have problems. If I were you I would feed a variety to Noah, but the first time you give something new, give only that and monitor him for any problems with that particular food. Rabbits generally like any green vegetables and herbs such as Parsley, Basil, Mint, Coriander, Dill and Lemon Balm. It's also good to feed forage from the wild if you are able to identify it. There is a large range of such food and the easy ones to identify are Dandelions and Blackberry leaves.

I feed quite a large selection of herbs & green veg to my bunnies in winter, huge piles of forage spring through to autumn. Rabbits with healthy digestive systems should be able to tolerate this, my bunnies have over the last 25 years with the exception of one elderly bun who developed an allergy to most foods.

Corriander & cavlo nero are absolute faves here

Wise Old Thumper

I stick to Spring Greens, they love the long grass as well

When I looked in to the best greens for rabbits it seemed that green leafy vegetables were best, but to avoid giving too much of things like brocolli, root veggies (like carrot) and certain herbs. I've tried kale, pak choi, cabbage and greens but kale seems to be the favourite (and is certainly cheaper than pak choi ). Each of my rabbits get a large handful of kale each day, their weights are fine and they don't have sludgy urine so they seem to be doing fine having it each day. Sometimes tesco sell a bag of carrots with the tops still on, the carrots are small and skinny but you get loads of 'top', the rabbits love them
    Elmo and Cookie the Thrianta brothers ♥
    Princess the Lionlop

Young Bun

Ive been confused with what food is best for them for a while. I was thinking of buying a pack of seeds from Shelled Warriors to grow a variety of plants, mainly grasses and weeds I guess :s and eventually feeding them more of this and just feeding spring greens/ kale and a few odd bits every now and again.

I had a poster from Burgess which was about what veggies and how often but mine dont like half of them! I think it was called ‘Burgess feeding guide to a happy rabbit’ or something along those lines if you wanted to search for it.

Mine prefer forage to anything. Grass, willow and apple branches oh and brambles, thorns and all.

I also give them pointed cabbage for variety.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Favourites here are coriander, basil, parsley, mint, spinach, rocket, watercress, spring greens, kale, pak choi and romaine lettuce. He also loves dried plantain and dandelion xxx