• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering & after care

randomname

Young Bun
Jim is booked in this morning.
Can anyone refresh me as to what to expect when he's home? Been years since I had a rabbit done, can't remember how quickly they recover. What will the surgery site look like & how do I care for it?
I know to watch for infection & get him eating, how else can I help him?

Jim is booked in this morning.
Can anyone refresh me as to what to expect when he's home? Been years since I had a rabbit done, can't remember how quickly they recover. What will the surgery site look like & how do I care for it?
I know to watch for infection & get him eating, how else can I help him?

A straightforward routine castration of a buck is far less invasive than a doe spay :) Bucks tend to recover quickly. Before Jim is discharged home the Vet should ensure that he has started to eat a little for himself and passed both faeces and urine. He should also be prescribed an anti-inflammatory analgesic for 2-3 days post op'. If the Vet does not do so I'd ask 'why'. Making sure post op' discomfort is minimised is important to try to prevent pain induced gut stasis.

The surgical wound may be closed with internal sutures and glue, so really there wont be a lot to see. There may be very slight redness, but the area should remain dry and clean. The scrotum should not become very swollen or bruised.

This image is of a Buck 24 hours after surgery

xMkBiCS.jpg

More information here:

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/neutering/

Hope all goes well for Jim today :)

Thanks for all the good luck wishes for Jim. I certainly hope he gets through things ok too :)

Dropped him off at 9. Vet said op is at 11, I have to phone at 2 to check he's ok & if all goes well he can be home by tea time.
I asked the vet what was covered by the RSPCA voucher, he said the op & 3 injections (painkiller, gut stimulant & something else I've forgotten) I asked about pain relief & he said the injection would be good for 24 hours & he shouldn't need it after that. Does that sound right? Should I buy 2 days worth just to be sure or wait & see f he needs it? I won't be going back to that vet as I have my own, so maybe I could take Jim to see my vet if there's any problems? I dunno..

Oh bless him. I hope all goes well. Personally, I'd ask for some pain relief for a few days for him. I work on the theory that if I would find it painful (or would if I was a bloke!) then bun will find it painful too. A bun in pain is less likely to eat and we all know what problems that can cause.

He's home. Is alert & moving about. Has eaten some hay & pooped. So far so good. Have to take him back for a free checkup in 2 days.
Didn't realise how much I cared until he was under the knife. Only been here a few weeks, already got a soft spot for the cheeky little lad. Can't wait to see him with a friend soon. :)

Back