Thread: Cecotropes

Default Cecotropes

One of my rabbits seems to not be either 1) eating her cecotropes or 2)making too many bc there are a lot of them in her litter. And there is an odor that goes along with them. It's not a strong odor until you're fairly close to her hutch.

Is this normal? She gets tons of timothy and a small handful of pellets. Should I add something to her diet?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Is this a new thing? It could occur if they are having too many pellets, too much green stuff that they aren’t accustomed to, if they are on medication, had a recent vaccine, if they have difficulty getting to them because of being overweight or having arthritis, to name a few. Has she had a vet check recently?

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Warren Veteran

I think Zoobec has covered it all. Cecos are a bit smelly

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    Is this a new thing? It could occur if they are having too many pellets, too much green stuff that they arenít accustomed to, if they are on medication, had a recent vaccine, if they have difficulty getting to them because of being overweight or having arthritis, to name a few. Has she had a vet check recently?
    I haven't had her too long, and a vet check crossed my mind. I was just reading what the weight for a holland lop should be, and I'm now thinking she's overweight.

No meds, no vaccines (we don't do those here, i guess), plenty of timothy hay...

I was told she hasn't been able to have a live litter, ever (so no breeding), so I was wondering if getting her spayed would help her weight??

You can't really tell her size from the pic, but I'm thinking she's over 4lbs., closer to 5.5 or 6...

Wise Old Thumper

From your photo I would say your rabbit looks to be overweight (sorry miss Holland Lop) and this could be why she is not able to eat her caecotrophs. Perhaps slowly decrease the amount of pellet food that she has and try to encourage more exercise. I'm not sure that spaying would help her to lose weight, but it would prevent her from developing uterine cancer, which is common in unspayed does. She's a very pretty girl

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    From your photo I would say your rabbit looks to be overweight (sorry miss Holland Lop) and this could be why she is not able to eat her caecotrophs. Perhaps slowly decrease the amount of pellet food that she has and try to encourage more exercise. I'm not sure that spaying would help her to lose weight, but it would prevent her from developing uterine cancer, which is common in unspayed does. She's a very pretty girl
    I can do that! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    So....turned out she was pregnant...oops! But there are 4 healthy cute babies who will only be allowed good, loving homes. Unless I get too attached...which is highly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by shauna_hale View Post
    So....turned out she was pregnant...oops! But there are 4 healthy cute babies who will only be allowed good, loving homes. Unless I get too attached...which is highly possible.

Goodness me!

Good luck with them

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by shauna_hale View Post

Oh gosh, that must have been a shock! Hopefully, the weight and caecotrophs issue will sort itself out soon then

I hope the babies continue to do well. Let us know what you decide to do with them.