• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Occlusal Cysts in Rabbits - any experience?

I really, really wanted to change my thread title - but that would have made the lovely people who contributed look stupid rather than me:lol:. Anyhow in this rare instance it wasn't me but my previous vet who got the name wrong, I'm pretty confident of this as I wrote it down but then also spoke about it one to one with OH present. No wonder research was getting us nowhere .

odontogenic cyst. A cyst formed from tooth material no less.

Not so uncommon in dogs, seen in rabbits on rare occassions

Well trust Boo to have something unusual !!

I am going to have a read up on it. How is she doing ?

Really well at the moment thanks Jane, good energy & eating well. She is not needing any additional feeds other than a couple of extra piles of forage / herbs. She is drinking water :love: It freaks me out when she doesn't drink as normally she's a right guzzler. Its been a long road getting her poo fairly healthy but thats where we are at the mo :love:

Really well at the moment thanks Jane, good energy & eating well. She is not needing any additional feeds other than a couple of extra piles of forage / herbs. She is drinking water :love: It freaks me out when she doesn't drink as normally she's a right guzzler. Its been a long road getting her poo fairly healthy but thats where we are at the mo :love:

So pleased to hear that she's doing well .She's made of strong stuff is Boo :D :love:

I really, really wanted to change my thread title - but that would have made the lovely people who contributed look stupid rather than me:lol:. Anyhow in this rare instance it wasn't me but my previous vet who got the name wrong, I'm pretty confident of this as I wrote it down but then also spoke about it one to one with OH present. No wonder research was getting us nowhere .

I'm glad you've posted. I thought of you this morning, but in my hurry to leave the house I couldn't find your thread to post :)

At least you all know what you're dealing with. Is there a plan for a way forward with this?

I have just asked the dentist I am working with today and she knows about it. She's told me so much I don't even know how to repeat lol!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Good to hear she is doing so well. He is such a strong bunny and I'm sure having a dedicated mummy and daddy helps a lot x
I really, really wanted to change my thread title - but that would have made the lovely people who contributed look stupid rather than me[emoji38]. Anyhow in this rare instance it wasn't me but my previous vet who got the name wrong, I'm pretty confident of this as I wrote it down but then also spoke about it one to one with OH present. No wonder research was getting us nowhere .

That makes more sense now! I'm glad you've been able to confirm what was up.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Ok so she's saying they get bigger and not painful in hoomans. They are removed because they make the jaw thin as they get bigger xx

Really good news that Boo is doing so well :D I hope it continues.

I'm glad you've posted. I thought of you this morning, but in my hurry to leave the house I couldn't find your thread to post :)

At least you all know what you're dealing with. Is there a plan for a way forward with this?

There was a plan to try & remove the upper remaining back teeth but access was an issue, they were hoping to track through the abscess but it isn't an abscess, just active infection) so they were concerned any invasive surgery would risk causing more harm than good. As she is coping so beautifully they decided managing it was the preferable option for now. If her quality of life deteriorates we'll have a rethink. Removing her dodgy teeth would have involved removing part of her cheekbone & possibly her eye :( I think they made a good judgement call. She is currently drug free & just has certain points on her eye & nose pressed 3 times daily which is supposed to help with drainage

Ok so she's saying they get bigger and not painful in hoomans. They are removed because they make the jaw thin as they get bigger xx

Yes, Boo's bone density is lower on that side, & of course its making her teeth fall out / grow funny. In themselves I think they aren't sinister

Really good news that Boo is doing so well :D I hope it continues.

Thanks Omi, we're enjoying now :love:

For some weird reason she seems to do a bit better each day but that makes no sense. Eats all hay now, just not as much as she did

Just caught up on this. Bless Boo for doing so well and being lucky to have you looking after her so well x

Could it be due to the regular draining ?

I guess so. It would be lovely to think something so simple is helping. You're supposed to apply super gentle pressure but Boo kind of pushes hard against you (not so much when I've done a "test" on the other side)

Back