• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jazzie in a severe state, glucose 18.2, lactate 11.6 - what does this mean? U/D #39

Jazzie's home :D
Not only has she made it through the day but the vet gave me the most wonderful news that she had been eating on her own (just a little - favouring basil), wetting and had left droppings :D
She's gone between being bright and then sleepy again since we got in. However she just had a tiny piece of coriander and as I type is nibbling a very small amount of hay (and just moved on to a dried blackcurrant leaf [emoji38]).
I don't remember everything the vet said, to be honest I was in shock as it wasn't what I was expecting to hear. Her lactate has gone to 3-something but he didn't repeat glucose as he didn't think there was a need at the time. He wants her back tomorrow to check creatinine for the kidneys but other than that is happy as long as she keeps eating.
I'm still kind of in shock, I was preparing to lose her tonight and thinking the worst.
I can't believe she's home with me now :D
Go jazzie I told you she's a fighter! Wahooo :D ! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Jazzie's home :D
Not only has she made it through the day but the vet gave me the most wonderful news that she had been eating on her own (just a little - favouring basil), wetting and had left droppings :D
She's gone between being bright and then sleepy again since we got in. However she just had a tiny piece of coriander and as I type is nibbling a very small amount of hay (and just moved on to a dried blackcurrant leaf :lol:).
I don't remember everything the vet said, to be honest I was in shock as it wasn't what I was expecting to hear. Her lactate has gone to 3-something but he didn't repeat glucose as he didn't think there was a need at the time. He wants her back tomorrow to check creatinine for the kidneys but other than that is happy as long as she keeps eating.
I'm still kind of in shock, I was preparing to lose her tonight and thinking the worst.
I can't believe she's home with me now :D

Such good news :)

That's wonderful news, well done Jazzie [emoji3]

I know that sense of relief very well: when you have a bun so poorly that you resign yourself to the worst and then they somehow manage to turn things around. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jazzie :love: There's been so much sadness on RU recently I'm overjoyed to hear your update. Bring on the herbs

Thank you all so much for your support and kindness :D
I really can't believe it! I know she's not out of danger yet so I don't want to get ahead of myself but she's come such a long way in a few hours. It feels like such a privilege to have her home. I was honestly expecting the worst.

I know you all already know this but in case anyone else ever comes across this thread please take one thing away from this - If your rabbit is in stasis get her on fluids as soon as possible. If this awful experience can benefit anyone and prevent this happening to any other rabbit it makes it just a little less awful.

Jazzie :love: There's been so much sadness on RU recently I'm overjoyed to hear your update. Bring on the herbs
Really sad to hear that :( I've not been around the past couple of weeks as some other things have been going on.
My thoughts are with everyone on here who is going through a difficult time for one reason or another xx

What a rollercoaster for you! Glad she is improving, hope she’s back to her old self very soon x

Glad Jazzie is home and feeling better. I wouldn't have known that it is important to get fluids into a bun with stasis, so thank you for that. I know I had to give one of mine sub cut fluids once but can't remember why - just how difficult it was to do. Fran was on the verge of stasis but fortunately was nibbling just enough to keep her gut going. Complicated little beings, these bunnies aren't they? So much to learn and remember.

Topping up the vibes for Jazzie xxxx

I am so pleased to read this! And you are so right about the fluids - convinced that's why Ted picked up so well on Saturday. Even the vet seemed suprised how mych he'd improved. Fingers crossed Jazzie continued to do well x

Just worked out total treatment cost as £1029, not including tomorrows blood test :oops:
But worth every penny :love: Even if it takes me years to pay off :roll:
Lesson number two from all this: Insure your rabbits :lol: I so wish I'd realised that before they had so many pre-existing problems. Any I may end up getting in the future certainly will be.
There's been a bit of a joke over who's been the most expensive bunny. Lunar's had the 'crown' for a long time (though not sure Snowflake didn't finally take it a few weeks back) but I think Jazzie is firmly in the lead now.
I'd really prefer they not make it a competition!

Jazzie's continuing to pick at food, possibly in increasing amounts now and keeps going for a drink which is brilliant as she's keeping herself hydrated. I'm not sure if this is likely to have done any permanent damage to her kindeys? Maybe the blood test might give an idea tomorrow.
We've also had a few droppings in the litter tray so all positive little steps :D
I'm not sure if she's supposed to have any meds or not. I would have thought so but I did ask and they didn't give a very commital answer :? I had to go back and ask for the meds bag back (I'd left it with vet). I asked when she should have it and they said instructions were inside but there's noting in there :?
I guess to be safe I could give her the emeprid and ranitidine 8hrs from when I picked her up? I don't like the idea of leaving her overnight with nothing.

Again, thank you all for your kind thoughts. It's truly appreciated.
Martlou: I really hope Ted's doing well? Sounds like the poor little thing went through it too :(

Just worked out total treatment cost as £1029, not including tomorrows blood test :oops:
Lesson number two from all this: Insure your rabbits :lol: I so wish I'd realised that before they had so many pre-existing problems. Any I may end up getting in the future certainly will be.
There's been a bit of a joke over who's been the most expensive bunny. Lunar's had the 'crown' for a long time (though not sure Snowflake didn't finally take it a few weeks back) but I think Jazzie is firmly in the lead now.

Jazzie's continuing to pick at food, possibly in increasing amounts now and keeps going for a drink which is brilliant as she's keeping herself hydrated. I'm not sure if this is likely to have done any permanent damage to her kindeys? Maybe the blood test might give an idea tomorrow.
We've also had a few droppings in the litter tray so all positive little steps :D
I'm not sure if she's supposed to have any meds or not. I would have thought so but I did ask and they didn't give a very commital answer :? I had to go back and ask for the meds bag back (I'd left it with vet). I asked when she should have it and they said instructions were inside but there's noting in there :?
I guess to be safe I could give her the emeprid and ranitidine 8hrs from when I picked her up? I don't like the idea of leaving her overnight with nothing.

Martlou: I really hope Ted's doing well? Sounds like the poor little thing went through it too :(

I am sorry I am never around RU in the evenings so I have only just seen your update and it's a bit late to answer your questions re whether to give the medication. I hope that Jazzie has continued to improve throughout the night and that today's blood test does not give any worrying findings.

Whoever said having Pet Rabbits can help reduce our stress levels lied !!

Lots more vibes being sent xx

Thanks, Ted's still doing really well 😁. Both of ours are insured thank goodness, Ted's bills are at least £5000 I'd estimate in the time since we adopted him (9 years in July). He racked up £2135 in an 8 week period a few years ago!

What did you decide to do about the drugs? Our vets have always advised to continue with them all for several days after they appear to be completely recovered to support their systems, as the chance of relapse is higher in the 3 weeks or so after an episode. I'm not sure if that would be the same if there are any kidney issues though so definitely worth checking today.

Sending more vibes for Jazzie. I hope that she has continued to improve overnight and that the vet visit goes well today.

I'm thinking of you ... Thanks so much for your PM. You are so kind.

Hope you've sorted out the meds issue by now? xx

Sorry for the late reply. Jazz was up the vet for a while but something else has also happened that I can't go into right now but I strongly suspect I am being stalked online by someone I know and possibly my forum posts on here are being monitored (by a non-member) so I'm going to have to be very careful now what information I write here as this is very major.
I'm going to have to change my avatar and signature too as the rabbit pictured is easily identifiable by said individual as are three of the names mentioned..

Regarding Jazzie she's done well. I gave her meds at 4am and she's continued to pick at food and has been drinking. She's wet and left more droppings, very abnormal shape but to be expected after everything.
Vet saw her around 11-ish and took her temperature which was normal. Glucose is now 10 which is much better than yesterday.
However they tried for a long time but were unable to obtain a sample for the creatinine. They want to try again a week from now so we'll see then but for now as long as she stays stable things are looking hopeful. She's been cleaning herself a lot and has picked at food since she's been home.

I'm really pleased that Jazzie is doing so well :D It sounds as though she's continuing to improve.

I'm sorry to hear of your other problems though. All forum posts, which are not in the General Chat section, can be viewed by non-members. Just try googling and you'll see. I suspect also that, for someone who knows what they are doing, those in the General Chat could also be hacked fairly easily.

Sorry for the late reply. Jazz was up the vet for a while but something else has also happened that I can't go into right now but I strongly suspect I am being stalked online by someone I know and possibly my forum posts on here are being monitored (by a non-member) so I'm going to have to be very careful now what information I write here as this is very major.
I'm going to have to change my avatar and signature too as the rabbit pictured is easily identifiable by said individual as are three of the names mentioned..

Regarding Jazzie she's done well. I gave her meds at 4am and she's continued to pick at food and has been drinking. She's wet and left more droppings, very abnormal shape but to be expected after everything.
Vet saw her around 11-ish and took her temperature which was normal. Glucose is now 10 which is much better than yesterday.
However they tried for a long time but were unable to obtain a sample for the creatinine. They want to try again a week from now so we'll see then but for now as long as she stays stable things are looking hopeful. She's been cleaning herself a lot and has picked at food since she's been home.

Lovely to hear the news of Jazzie :D

But SO sorry to hear about the stalking :( I know what that's like, and it's not a nice feeling. I hope you can get that sorted.

I am so sorry to read that you may be being stalked. Being followed about IRL and/or online is extremely creepy. Of course it says far more about the Stalker than the person being Stalked, the Stalker cleary has some major 'issues'. But that is of little consolation to their target.

I am glad to hear that Jazzie is doing better now and hopefully this will continue over the next few days xx

Thanks Omi, MM and Jane.

Yes I know it's all public, I'm going to have to go through and edit my posts, which will be a nightmare. Said person (a family member) has been trying to have us removed from our home for a couple of years and is now using our rabbits to do it - I'm waiting for a neglect accusation next. It was already attempted once with my dog (thankfully at the same time he visited a vet so have records to back up his condition etc and prove said accusations false) but kept the rabbits quiet for this very reason. I suspect the person has been in the house while we we've been out. They had the ability to do so.
We're already facing homelessness in about 4-5 weeks time if we haven't found somewhere to move to.

Maybe this is the real reason Jazz went down, this is all too much stress and I know they pick up on it all :(

Back