• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jazzie in a severe state, glucose 18.2, lactate 11.6 - what does this mean? U/D #39

Thank you all. No phone call so far so I hope that means she's still fighting.. On way to go see her now.
If nothing else this has really highlighted the importance of fluids immediately with stasis. I'm furious the vet kept her in and didn't give her any, then just sent her home like that!
Never again. Always fluids straight away from now on.
Edit:
Oh, and for those few hours between 14.50 and 18.20 he charged me £230, for doing an ultrasound, glucose/lactate and the motility meds. That's closer to what I pay when they're in for the whole day on fluids plus the aforementioned things. Something's gone wrong here :?

Last edited:
That is a bit much isn't it! No news is good news...come on jazzie you call get through this! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Thank you all. No phone call so far so I hope that means she's still fighting.. On way to go see her now.
If nothing else this has really highlighted the importance of fluids immediately with stasis. I'm furious the vet kept her in and didn't give her any, then just sent her home like that!
Never again. Always fluids straight away from now on.
Edit:
Oh, and for those few hours between 14.50 and 18.20 he charged me £230, for doing an ultrasound, glucose/lactate and the motility meds. That's closer to what I pay when they're in for the whole day on fluids plus the aforementioned things. Something's gone wrong here :?

100% this !!

I really hope that you will receive better news about Jazzie this morning xx

I hope Jazzie turned a corner over night. I also hope that how serious she became during the evening wasn't due to the other vets not acting quickly/appropriately enough, it's stressful enough without that extra stress of 'what ifs'.

Running update as have to get her up Companion Care..
She's still with us. I've attached a picture of the blood results from last night. Vet couldn't get blood from her this morning to repeat so don't know if anything's changed yet.

My baby :(

Aww jazzie the fact she is still with you she's a little fighter and I'm sure will pull through. I have everything crossed for jazzie. Poor baby

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Okay so she's been admitted for the day. I got her under a different vet who I trust a lot more today and he's been really good with her so hopefully I'll get a call later to let me know how she's doing. Plan is to keep her on the fluids today and he's giving her another motility drug begining with 'P' that I haven't heard of before.
He checked her temperature and it's 37.1, about the same as it was at Vets Now so she now seems to be maintaining her temperature. Apparently her heart rate was very fast at Vets Now and is now normal and her breathing seems normal.
I guess only time will tell now.
I honestly believe the kidney situation had been created by her not having the fluids yesterday. I'm angry with myself as I should have insisted on them being given but I'm also angry with the vet for not giving them. When I took her in yesterday afternoon she didn't seem to be that serious (as stasis goes) so it surprised me when he told me how high the glucose was when I collected her. He did the glucose test 40 mins after admitting her yesterday (I managed to see the times on his chart), yet didn't phone me to tell me they were that high and just left her all those hours. He told me he would phone if there was anything to worry about so I went to collect her at 18.20 thinking all was well as I hadn't had a phone call. No mention of potential obstruction (I had to ask), no offer to x-ray or repeat bloods. I feel that his mess up is what's put Jazzie where she is now. Had he told me how bad she was I would have insisted on fluids.
Whether or not it's now done irreversible damage I don't know yet. In future if he's the only vet available I will go elsewhere.
Thankfully I'm happy with who she's with today, I know he'll do his best for her.

So that's about it for now, just have to see how it goes. Prognosis is still very poor but she's come this far and that's giving me some very cautious hope.
I'm so glad I went with my instincts last night and got her to Vets Now as I can say quite certainly that she wouldn't have made it through the night if she hadn't gone up.
Her entire treatment now has come to about £1000 and I've had to borrow from my brother again but it's given her a chance so it's worth it as without it she would have none at all.

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts xx

I'm glad that Jazzie is now with a vet you can trust. Thinking of you both and hoping that she can pull through this.

Okay so she's been admitted for the day. I got her under a different vet who I trust a lot more today and he's been really good with her so hopefully I'll get a call later to let me know how she's doing. Plan is to keep her on the fluids today and he's giving her another motility drug begining with 'P' that I haven't heard of before.
He checked her temperature and it's 37.1, about the same as it was at Vets Now so she now seems to be maintaining her temperature. Apparently her heart rate was very fast at Vets Now and is now normal and her breathing seems normal.
I guess only time will tell now.
I honestly believe the kidney situation had been created by her not having the fluids yesterday. I'm angry with myself as I should have insisted on them being given but I'm also angry with the vet for not giving them. When I took her in yesterday afternoon she didn't seem to be that serious (as stasis goes) so it surprised me when he told me how high the glucose was when I collected her. He did the glucose test 40 mins after admitting her yesterday (I managed to see the times on his chart), yet didn't phone me to tell me they were that high and just left her all those hours. He told me he would phone if there was anything to worry about so I went to collect her at 18.20 thinking all was well as I hadn't had a phone call. No mention of potential obstruction (I had to ask), no offer to x-ray or repeat bloods. I feel that his mess up is what's put Jazzie where she is now. Had he told me how bad she was I would have insisted on fluids.
Whether or not it's now done irreversible damage I don't know yet. In future if he's the only vet available I will go elsewhere.
Thankfully I'm happy with who she's with today, I know he'll do his best for her.

So that's about it for now, just have to see how it goes. Prognosis is still very poor but she's come this far and that's giving me some very cautious hope.
I'm so glad I went with my instincts last night and got her to Vets Now as I can say quite certainly that she wouldn't have made it through the night if she hadn't gone up.
Her entire treatment now has come to about £1000 and I've had to borrow from my brother again but it's given her a chance so it's worth it as without it she would have none at all.

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts xx

I've just hot-footed back from the vet and wanted to add my vibes to the pile.

Thinking of you. I know how this is. Loads of love xxx

Jazzie's home :D
Not only has she made it through the day but the vet gave me the most wonderful news that she had been eating on her own (just a little - favouring basil), wetting and had left droppings :D
She's gone between being bright and then sleepy again since we got in. However she just had a tiny piece of coriander and as I type is nibbling a very small amount of hay (and just moved on to a dried blackcurrant leaf :lol:).
I don't remember everything the vet said, to be honest I was in shock as it wasn't what I was expecting to hear. Her lactate has gone to 3-something but he didn't repeat glucose as he didn't think there was a need at the time. He wants her back tomorrow to check creatinine for the kidneys but other than that is happy as long as she keeps eating.
I'm still kind of in shock, I was preparing to lose her tonight and thinking the worst.
I can't believe she's home with me now :D

That's really wonderful news :D I'm so pleased for you both and hope Jazzie continues to improve overnight.

Back