Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jazzie in a severe state, glucose 18.2, lactate 11.6 - what does this mean? U/D #39

Wise Old Thumper

Sending lots more vibes for Jazzie. I hope she shows signs of improvement soon.

Sending lots of vibes for beautiful Jazzie x

Loads and loads of vibes x

Okay so she's been admitted for the day. I got her under a different vet who I trust a lot more today and he's been really good with her so hopefully I'll get a call later to let me know how she's doing. Plan is to keep her on the fluids today and he's giving her another motility drug begining with 'P' that I haven't heard of before.
    He checked her temperature and it's 37.1, about the same as it was at Vets Now so she now seems to be maintaining her temperature. Apparently her heart rate was very fast at Vets Now and is now normal and her breathing seems normal.
    I guess only time will tell now.
    I honestly believe the kidney situation had been created by her not having the fluids yesterday. I'm angry with myself as I should have insisted on them being given but I'm also angry with the vet for not giving them. When I took her in yesterday afternoon she didn't seem to be that serious (as stasis goes) so it surprised me when he told me how high the glucose was when I collected her. He did the glucose test 40 mins after admitting her yesterday (I managed to see the times on his chart), yet didn't phone me to tell me they were that high and just left her all those hours. He told me he would phone if there was anything to worry about so I went to collect her at 18.20 thinking all was well as I hadn't had a phone call. No mention of potential obstruction (I had to ask), no offer to x-ray or repeat bloods. I feel that his mess up is what's put Jazzie where she is now. Had he told me how bad she was I would have insisted on fluids.
    Whether or not it's now done irreversible damage I don't know yet. In future if he's the only vet available I will go elsewhere.
    Thankfully I'm happy with who she's with today, I know he'll do his best for her.

So that's about it for now, just have to see how it goes. Prognosis is still very poor but she's come this far and that's giving me some very cautious hope.
    I'm so glad I went with my instincts last night and got her to Vets Now as I can say quite certainly that she wouldn't have made it through the night if she hadn't gone up.
    Her entire treatment now has come to about 1000 and I've had to borrow from my brother again but it's given her a chance so it's worth it as without it she would have none at all.

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts xx

Wise Old Thumper

I'm glad that Jazzie is now with a vet you can trust. Thinking of you both and hoping that she can pull through this.

Still sending lots of vibes for Jazzie xx

A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

A map giving up to date, well researched and reliable details about reported cases of RHD2 within the UK. The map also gives details of locations of Vets reported to have access to the RHD2 Vaccine

http://rhd2map.buntools.org.uk/

Topping up vibes. Really hoping for good news soon xx

Quote Originally Posted by ~ILoveMyBunny~ View Post
    Okay so she's been admitted for the day. I got her under a different vet who I trust a lot more today and he's been really good with her so hopefully I'll get a call later to let me know how she's doing. Plan is to keep her on the fluids today and he's giving her another motility drug begining with 'P' that I haven't heard of before.
    He checked her temperature and it's 37.1, about the same as it was at Vets Now so she now seems to be maintaining her temperature. Apparently her heart rate was very fast at Vets Now and is now normal and her breathing seems normal.
    I guess only time will tell now.
    I honestly believe the kidney situation had been created by her not having the fluids yesterday. I'm angry with myself as I should have insisted on them being given but I'm also angry with the vet for not giving them. When I took her in yesterday afternoon she didn't seem to be that serious (as stasis goes) so it surprised me when he told me how high the glucose was when I collected her. He did the glucose test 40 mins after admitting her yesterday (I managed to see the times on his chart), yet didn't phone me to tell me they were that high and just left her all those hours. He told me he would phone if there was anything to worry about so I went to collect her at 18.20 thinking all was well as I hadn't had a phone call. No mention of potential obstruction (I had to ask), no offer to x-ray or repeat bloods. I feel that his mess up is what's put Jazzie where she is now. Had he told me how bad she was I would have insisted on fluids.
    Whether or not it's now done irreversible damage I don't know yet. In future if he's the only vet available I will go elsewhere.
    Thankfully I'm happy with who she's with today, I know he'll do his best for her.

So that's about it for now, just have to see how it goes. Prognosis is still very poor but she's come this far and that's giving me some very cautious hope.
    I'm so glad I went with my instincts last night and got her to Vets Now as I can say quite certainly that she wouldn't have made it through the night if she hadn't gone up.
    Her entire treatment now has come to about 1000 and I've had to borrow from my brother again but it's given her a chance so it's worth it as without it she would have none at all.

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts xx

I've just hot-footed back from the vet and wanted to add my vibes to the pile.

Thinking of you. I know how this is. Loads of love xxx

Jazzie's home
    Not only has she made it through the day but the vet gave me the most wonderful news that she had been eating on her own (just a little - favouring basil), wetting and had left droppings
    She's gone between being bright and then sleepy again since we got in. However she just had a tiny piece of coriander and as I type is nibbling a very small amount of hay (and just moved on to a dried blackcurrant leaf ).
    I don't remember everything the vet said, to be honest I was in shock as it wasn't what I was expecting to hear. Her lactate has gone to 3-something but he didn't repeat glucose as he didn't think there was a need at the time. He wants her back tomorrow to check creatinine for the kidneys but other than that is happy as long as she keeps eating.
    I'm still kind of in shock, I was preparing to lose her tonight and thinking the worst.
    I can't believe she's home with me now

Wise Old Thumper

That's really wonderful news I'm so pleased for you both and hope Jazzie continues to improve overnight.