Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Advantage spot on treatment <4kg

  1. #1
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    72

    Default Advantage spot on treatment <4kg

    After some advice and clarification on this advantage spot on.

    I’m treating my 2 rabbits for fleas as ive seen them on them and have caught a few with a comb. It will be a week tomorrow that I first applied the advantage spot on treatment but when reading the instruction leaflet it says it ‘provides protection for up to 1 week on a rabbit’. Further down it says ‘retreatment may become necessary, depending on the presence of fleas in the environment. In these cases do not treat more frequently than once weekly.’

    So do I treat them each week or not? Ive grew up with cats and dogs and knew they had to be treated every 4 weeks which is making me question the rabbits? I did try to phone my vet but was only able to speak to an assistant and they said it seemed odd to treat more than the 4 weeks.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah298 View Post
    After some advice and clarification on this advantage spot on.

    I’m treating my 2 rabbits for fleas as ive seen them on them and have caught a few with a comb. It will be a week tomorrow that I first applied the advantage spot on treatment but when reading the instruction leaflet it says it ‘provides protection for up to 1 week on a rabbit’. Further down it says ‘retreatment may become necessary, depending on the presence of fleas in the environment. In these cases do not treat more frequently than once weekly.’

    So do I treat them each week or not? Ive grew up with cats and dogs and knew they had to be treated every 4 weeks which is making me question the rabbits? I did try to phone my vet but was only able to speak to an assistant and they said it seemed odd to treat more than the 4 weeks.

    Thanks

    This is the data sheet, with the full info

    http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-446209

  3. #3
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    72

    Default

    But does that mean I can treat them each week or do I have to wait for every 4 weeks whilst they have the fleas? After the table it says treatment should be repeated every 4 weeks but further down it mentions no more than weekly... ahh im so confused lol

    Sorry by the way

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Back Under my Stone :-)
    Posts
    133,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah298 View Post
    But does that mean I can treat them each week or do I have to wait for every 4 weeks whilst they have the fleas? After the table it says treatment should be repeated every 4 weeks but further down it mentions no more than weekly... ahh im so confused lol

    Sorry by the way
    For Rabbits with a heavy infestation the treatment is one pipette every 7 days. As with many drugs Rabbits metabolise the active ingredient a lot faster than cats or dogs. For example if you gave a 4kg Cat the same maximum dose of Metacam that a 4kg Rabbit can have you could seriously harm the Cat.

    If I were you I'd call your Vet surgery again and ask to speak with a Vet about it as the Receptionists may not know xx



    A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

    A map giving up to date, well researched and reliable details about reported cases of RHD2 within the UK. The map also gives details of locations of Vets reported to have access to the RHD2 Vaccine

    http://rhd2map.buntools.org.uk/

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah298 View Post
    But does that mean I can treat them each week or do I have to wait for every 4 weeks whilst they have the fleas? After the table it says treatment should be repeated every 4 weeks but further down it mentions no more than weekly... ahh im so confused lol

    Sorry by the way

    Hi Sarah

    You can give the treatment every week, but it's advisable you speak with your vet about this.

    I've found that the receptionist often has very little knowledge about specific issues.

  6. #6
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Brilliant thanks sorry to be a pain!

    Will call them again tomorrow and ask for the vet to call me back.

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah298 View Post
    Brilliant thanks sorry to be a pain!

    Will call them again tomorrow and ask for the vet to call me back.

    You're welcome, and you are never a pain

    Hope all goes well x

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Back Under my Stone :-)
    Posts
    133,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah298 View Post
    Brilliant thanks sorry to be a pain!

    Will call them again tomorrow and ask for the vet to call me back.
    Gawd if you are 'a pain' then I dread to think what that makes me !!



    A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

    A map giving up to date, well researched and reliable details about reported cases of RHD2 within the UK. The map also gives details of locations of Vets reported to have access to the RHD2 Vaccine

    http://rhd2map.buntools.org.uk/

  9. #9
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    You're welcome, and you are never a pain

    Hope all goes well x
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Gawd if you are 'a pain' then I dread to think what that makes me !!
    Haha thanks guys, im just forever asking probably quite obvious questions

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Back Under my Stone :-)
    Posts
    133,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah298 View Post
    Haha thanks guys, im just forever asking probably quite obvious questions
    A question is only 'obvious' if we know the answer ! So I dont think any question can be 'obvious' otherwise we would not need to ask. Well, that's my theory anyway



    A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

    A map giving up to date, well researched and reliable details about reported cases of RHD2 within the UK. The map also gives details of locations of Vets reported to have access to the RHD2 Vaccine

    http://rhd2map.buntools.org.uk/

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •