• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Fran

I can send a kilo of fresh SS with the bed, shouldn't cost any extra in postage if it's under 2 kilos.

That's kind of you, Amanda. Thank you.

Just got home and Fran was out in the run and the other two had put themselves to bed. Her underneath looked better, probably because she wasn't sitting in her litter tray like she does in the hutch. She started nomming pellets as soon as I gave them their supper (or breakfast really I suppose). I am not working until 2300 tomorrow so will be able to move stuff around in the kitchen and set up a small dog crate and then move the trio inside. I have a feeling I will have three very sulky bunnies this time tomorrow:(

I just hope they don't stop eating in protest.

Sending vibes for Fran and I hope that you are able to move things around for them today.

Have just given Fran a bath with the shampoo the vet gave me, which is not licenced for rabbits and I had to sign a disclaimer. It came with a couple of A4 typed instructions written by a vet nurse giving all the reasons for NOT bathing a rabbit and then outlining how to do it. It said to have two of you but I had to do it on my own and consequently I am soaked and will have to change before going to work later. Fran wasn't very wet underneath at all - I think where the vet shaved her yesterday it has helped her to keep herself clean.

The bunnies are not happy inside. I got some help to move things around earlier and they have a small dog crate as a base with a blanket over it. The door is left open. They have an old rug so they have a choice of surfaces. They are refusing to eat anything at the moment - Fran nibbled some basil but carrot, apple and pellets are being ignored by all three of them. Zippy in particular looks very cross. I feel really mean, especially as I have to leave them for most of the night, but it is supposed to get really cold next week and their hutch wasn't ideal in that they kept chewing holes in it. I would get a piece of wood added to repair it and they would then eat that. They are already eyeing up my kitchen units but they are old anyway and were chewed by my last house rabbits as was the door frame and the wooden cladding.

I've come around to the idea of having them inside - it will make it easier to bond a fourth once Fran recovers fully (being hopeful here) and I can find a suitable girl who needs adopting. I bought Fran in first and bathed her so she could dry off before the other two tried to groom her - the shampoo isn't meant to be ingested at all. She would have been miserable without the other two.

Vibes for them all to settle down and start eating would be appreciated. The last thing I need is three bunnies in stasis which is why I have got some of their favourite things to tempt them (and they were on offer in Sainsburys). They have never been known to turn down a piece of carrot. I think they are going to make me suffer for some time!!!!

Have just given Fran a bath with the shampoo the vet gave me, which is not licenced for rabbits and I had to sign a disclaimer. It came with a couple of A4 typed instructions written by a vet nurse giving all the reasons for NOT bathing a rabbit and then outlining how to do it. It said to have two of you but I had to do it on my own and consequently I am soaked and will have to change before going to work later. Fran wasn't very wet underneath at all - I think where the vet shaved her yesterday it has helped her to keep herself clean.

The bunnies are not happy inside. I got some help to move things around earlier and they have a small dog crate as a base with a blanket over it. The door is left open. They have an old rug so they have a choice of surfaces. They are refusing to eat anything at the moment - Fran nibbled some basil but carrot, apple and pellets are being ignored by all three of them. Zippy in particular looks very cross. I feel really mean, especially as I have to leave them for most of the night, but it is supposed to get really cold next week and their hutch wasn't ideal in that they kept chewing holes in it. I would get a piece of wood added to repair it and they would then eat that. They are already eyeing up my kitchen units but they are old anyway and were chewed by my last house rabbits as was the door frame and the wooden cladding.

I've come around to the idea of having them inside - it will make it easier to bond a fourth once Fran recovers fully (being hopeful here) and I can find a suitable girl who needs adopting. I bought Fran in first and bathed her so she could dry off before the other two tried to groom her - the shampoo isn't meant to be ingested at all. She would have been miserable without the other two.

Vibes for them all to settle down and start eating would be appreciated. The last thing I need is three bunnies in stasis which is why I have got some of their favourite things to tempt them (and they were on offer in Sainsburys). They have never been known to turn down a piece of carrot. I think they are going to make me suffer for some time!!!!

I hope they don't give you any worries! Vibes for them all.

And you're right - it's going to turn very cold next week :shock:

I really hope that Fran will start to show signs of significant improvement. Personally I dont think that you had any other option but to keep the group indoors now as Fran would never survive outdoors when the temperature is sub zero as is predicted for the coming week. Sometimes much less space is a price that has to be paid.

Lots more vibes being sent x

I really hope that Fran will start to show signs of significant improvement. Personally I dont think that you had any other option but to keep the group indoors now as Fran would never survive outdoors when the temperature is sub zero as is predicted for the coming week. Sometimes much less space is a price that has to be paid.

Lots more vibes being sent x

Once the vet said that Fran needed to be inside I didn't have any choice. My dilemma was about the other two. All three were snuggled in a corner looking cross this morning so I think I have done the right thing by Fran and hope Zippy and Violet eventually forgive me. They do have the whole kitchen to explore - there are no cables low down so I have just let them free range - so the space is not tiny - just a lot smaller than what they are used to. I have had lots of stray nuggets spread over the rug this morning - I think they are definitely showing their displeasure as they usually go in their litter tray.

Have left Fran at the surgery for her ultrasound. The blood results aren't back yet. Am dreading that she has a tumour like Bochy or something else that is terminal. The vet thinks she could have a kidney stone and I think they can do something about that so I am hoping it is that.

Have a friend with me today helping me declutter my spare room which will distract me a bit. She doesn't get the whole 'pet' thing though so cannot empathise with me and doesn't understand why I would spend so much money having tests done when it would be cheaper to just buy another bunny. She does try to understand though - and I can't ask more than that.

Thank you for the vibes everyone. I so hope Fran is going to be OK.

Once the vet said that Fran needed to be inside I didn't have any choice. My dilemma was about the other two. All three were snuggled in a corner looking cross this morning so I think I have done the right thing by Fran and hope Zippy and Violet eventually forgive me. They do have the whole kitchen to explore - there are no cables low down so I have just let them free range - so the space is not tiny - just a lot smaller than what they are used to. I have had lots of stray nuggets spread over the rug this morning - I think they are definitely showing their displeasure as they usually go in their litter tray.

Have left Fran at the surgery for her ultrasound. The blood results aren't back yet. Am dreading that she has a tumour like Bochy or something else that is terminal. The vet thinks she could have a kidney stone and I think they can do something about that so I am hoping it is that.

Have a friend with me today helping me declutter my spare room which will distract me a bit. She doesn't get the whole 'pet' thing though so cannot empathise with me and doesn't understand why I would spend so much money having tests done when it would be cheaper to just buy another bunny. She does try to understand though - and I can't ask more than that.

I would see this as just claiming new territory, not displeasure :)

I hope that the ultrasound doesn't show up anything worrying with Fran.

Good luck for Fran's ultrasound :)

I really hope you get some good news from Fran's ultrasound. It's really hard not to worry about the possible outcomes so I think doing a bit of decluttering to distract yourself is a good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The vet wanted to keep Fran for the day so he could monitor how much she was drinking. I have just been to collect her. She isn't drinking an unusual amount, her blood test was normal and the ultrasound didn't show anything obviously wrong, although the vet did say that bunny scans are much more difficult to interpret than cat or dog ones as there are so few to compare them with. He reassured me that he saw nothing to indicate a tumour.

The vet said that Fran's skin is already a lot better and she seemed bright in herself while she was with them. He does not think she is in pain at all. I am to continue with antibiotics and daily bottom baths with the special shampoo and will take her back on Monday to decide where to go next. There are no kidney stones. He thinks she might have a swelling of the lymph glands which should respond to the antibiotics.

So far I have spent £330 and I still don't know what is wrong with her, but she is getting better and I feel happier now that blood tests and ultrasound have not shown up anything terminal. Her appetite is back to normal and she seems to be keeping herself clean again now. Having her fur shaved really helped as did bringing her inside as she did tend to sit in the muddy puddles in the run.

I am due to stay with Di next Wed/Thurs and hope I can still go. The neighbour who looks after my fur family is a paediatric nurse so I think she would be fine giving Fran her Baytril. I will see what the vet says on Monday.

Thank you for all your vibes. Hopefully, Fran will continue to improve.

I met a lovely bunny person in the waiting room who has nine buns, all rescue. I did mention this forum to her. I stroked the one she had with her - a half wildie, who was gorgeous.

Last edited:
The vet wanted to keep Fran for the day so he could monitor how much she was drinking. I have just been to collect her. She isn't drinking an unusual amount, her blood test was normal and the ultrasound didn't show anything obviously wrong, although the vet did say that bunny scans are much more difficult to interpret than cat or dog ones as there are so few to compare them with. He reassured me that he saw nothing to indicate a tumour.

The vet said that Fran's skin is already a lot better and she seemed bright in herself while she was with them. He does not think she is in pain at all. I am to continue with antibiotics and daily bottom baths with the special shampoo and will take her back on Monday to decide where to go next. There are no kidney stones. He thinks she might have a swelling of the lymph glands which should respond to the antibiotics.

So far I have spent £330 and I still don't know what is wrong with her, but she is getting better and I feel happier now that blood tests and ultrasound have not shown up anything terminal. Her appetite is back to normal and she seems to be keeping herself clean again now. Having her fur shaved really helped as did bringing her inside as she did tend to sit in the muddy puddles in the run.

I am due to stay with Di next Wed/Thurs and hope I can still go. The neighbour who looks after my fur family is a paediatric nurse so I think she would be fine giving Fran her Baytril. I will see what the vet says on Monday.

I met a lovely bunny person in the waiting room who has nine buns, all rescue. I did mention this forum to her. I stroked the one she had with her - a half wildie, who was gorgeous.

I'm glad to hear that the blood test results were OK and that Fran is doing better within herself. I hope the improvement continues. Please say 'Hi' to Di for me when you see her :D

I'm pleased that all the test results have come back OK. Sending more vibes for Fran.

I still have three cross bunnies. I cleaned out their crate today and they have now shredded the newspaper and scattered it over the kitchen. They have also urinated over the floor:( Fran kept thumping her feet after her shampoo even though I gave her basil straight away after drying her off. If looks could kill, I would now be very dead. I have been giving them pieces of apple and carrot but I am not forgiven yet. They are eating again though. I was concerned when the pellets were still in the bowl - they get so few they are normally wolfed down - but when I went back they had gone.

I feel like the worst bunny Mummy in the world even though it was really cold last night and I was relieved I didn't have to go outside with a snugglesafe. They are in a nice, warm kitchen but they don't seem to appreciate it at all:(:(

On a more positive note Fran's sore skin is so, so much better. I don't know what is in the shampoo I am using but all the red, sore bits have gone now. There are still bare bits where she was shaved but they look healthy and pink. I did wonder if there was something wrong with one of her legs but I think she was adapting to the wooden floor and the rug - the way she thumped hard repeatedly with both feet, her legs can't be painful at all. The rug takes up most of the space but they are still choosing to walk on the wood - it isn't laminate but old floorboards, so not slippery.

Hopefully by the time the antibiotics are finished she will be back to her usual self. She is certainly eating a lot now - more than the other two.

I'm so glad Fran is OK and that the bloods have come back normal :)

Vibes for her continued improvement x

Fran still isn't 'right'. I don't think she is hopping normally. I told the vet this last time I saw him (a week ago) and he popped her on the floor and she didn't move much. He prescribed metacam which he said would help with any inflammation. Her underneath is much better and he said I could reduce the shampooing to just once a week. She is eating as usual now. He thought he wouldn't need to see her again and I could just 'phone with an update.

I am not happy with that. Fran isn't OK but I am struggling to articulate what exactly is wrong. She does move around the kitchen but it looks different from usual. She is interacting with the other two as usual, eating as usual but is not 'herself'.

I have asked to see the practice bunny specialist who was fully booked today but I am taking Fran in tomorrow morning. Am doing a night shift tonight so that isn't ideal but I don't have any confidence in the vet I am seeing. He didn't even examine Fran's back and legs when I said I thought she was moving differently.

Having them in the kitchen is a nightmare. They are messing all over the floor - puddles as well as droppings - and the dog crate is really in the way as I only have a small kitchen. I wouldn't have wanted them outside in the snow anyway but would like them to go outside as soon as the temperature increases once Fran has recovered (being optimistic here). They are all bored and fed-up with being inside and aren't moving around much even when I am home and remove the barrier in the kitchen so they can access the hallway too. I could set a puppy pen up by the back door so they could access some outside space when I am in the kitchen but I think it is still too cold for that - although my house is not fully double glazed and has a hole in the front door and a cat flap in the back door so downstairs is quite cold anyway. Violet and Zippy are putting on weight as they used to be really active outside. They only get a handful of pellets between the three twice a day anyway and Fran is maintaining her weight now (she lost some) but is not overweight so I can't reduce her pellets.

Vibes for Fran would be really appreciated. I feel I am letting her down and really hope the new vet can suggest a way forward as bloods and a scan didn't reveal what the problem is.

Last edited:
Fran still isn't 'right'. I don't think she is hopping normally. I told the vet this last time I saw him (a week ago) and he popped her on the floor and she didn't move much. He prescribed metacam which he said would help with any inflammation. Her underneath is much better and he said I could reduce the shampooing to just once a week. She is eating as usual now. He thought he wouldn't need to see her again and I could just 'phone with an update.

I am not happy with that. Fran isn't OK but I am struggling to articulate what exactly is wrong. She does move around the kitchen but it looks different from usual. She is interacting with the other two as usual, eating as usual but is not 'herself'.

I have asked to see the practice bunny specialist who was fully booked today but I am taking Fran in tomorrow morning. Am doing a night shift tonight so that isn't ideal but I don't have any confidence in the vet I am seeing. He didn't even examine Fran's back and legs when I said I thought she was moving differently.

Having them in the kitchen is a nightmare. They are messing all over the floor - puddles as well as droppings - and the dog crate is really in the way as I only have a small kitchen. I wouldn't have wanted them outside in the snow anyway but would like them to go outside as soon as the temperature increases once Fran has recovered (being optimistic here). They are all bored and fed-up with being inside and aren't moving around much even when I am home and remove the barrier in the kitchen so they can access the hallway too. I could set a puppy pen up by the back door so they could access some outside space when I am in the kitchen but I think it is still too cold for that - although my house is not fully double glazed and has a hole in the front door and a cat flap in the back door so downstairs is quite cold anyway. Violet and Zippy are putting on weight as they used to be really active outside. They only get a handful of pellets between the three twice a day anyway and Fran is maintaining her weight now (she lost some) but is not overweight so I can't reduce her pellets.

Vibes for Fran would be really appreciated. I feel I am letting her down and really hope the new vet can suggest a way forward as bloods and a scan didn't reveal what the problem is.

Are her back legs 'weak', so-to-speak ?

Has the Vet ruled out any EC involvement ?

Sending lots more vibes for her xx

Are her back legs 'weak', so-to-speak ?

Has the Vet ruled out any EC involvement ?

Sending lots more vibes for her xx

Not sure. She certainly tries to kick me when I am giving her her meds and doesn't seem in any pain when I shampoo her legs. Will ask the new vet tomorrow about EC as the other vet didn't mention it. He was nice enough but didn't seem to know very much about rabbits. He intimated I could put them back outside shortly as Fran has recovered. I am working a night shift today so will keep an eye on Fran but none of the bunnies are moving around much anyway:( Fran certainly pushes and shoves to get her nose into the food bowl when I feed them. I used to scatter feed but use a bowl now so I can make sure she is getting her fair share. I feed her a treat (spinach, herbs, carrot or apple) separately after her medication. I think she may be underweight but the vet didn't seem concerned. I'll get the new one to weigh her and let me know as I can increase her pellets if I need to. They get fed at odd times anyway due to my shifts but are good hay eaters.

Thanks, Jane.

Back