• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Fran

I second that Jane. Thank you Amanda.

Fran was in the sleeping bit of the hutch when I got home from work. I cleaned them out and then gave her some kale which she started nomming with enthusiasm. The metaclop has definitely worked :) I bought some mint in Tesco too but will give her that later on. I gave her a few pellets but want to make sure she continues eating hay. Having said that, she could put on a little bit of weight I think as she is lighter than the other two and neither of them are overweight. It is good to see her eating and enjoying her food. Even when she was at her most poorly she was nibbling carrot so I think the vet is right when he said her sore eye is nothing to do with dental issues. She didn't flinch at all when the vet was checking her mouth.

It's pouring with rain here so I hope she stays in the hutch. Violet and Zippy are both out in the run getting wet - silly bunnies. I don't want to shut her in the hutch though as that will stress her out.

Going to try to sleep now and will check on her when I get up.

I hope you can get some rest.

Vibes for Fran x

Thank you everyone. I have just checked on her and given her Baytril mixed with some juice. All three buns were out in the run and Fran was in one of the tunnels :love: Am hoping that means she is feeling a bit better as she has remained in her hutch for the past couple of days. I was worried about her getting wet but it is nice and dry in the tunnel - she is quite a sensible bun really.

Am going to try to take Fran back to the vet tomorrow. She is still soaking wet underneath and has lost more weight. I bathed her today and her skin is sore so I put some sudacrem on it. I am terrified she has a tumour like Bochy did:( She is eating more enthusiastically now and is leaving the hutch and going in the run but she is not right.

Vibes would be really appreciated. She is such a good, gentle bun :love:

Am going to try to take Fran back to the vet tomorrow. She is still soaking wet underneath and has lost more weight. I bathed her today and her skin is sore so I put some sudacrem on it. I am terrified she has a tumour like Bochy did:( She is eating more enthusiastically now and is leaving the hutch and going in the run but she is not right.

Oh no! So sorry to hear this :(

Millions of vibes for Fran xx

I'm really sorry to read that Fran still isn't right [emoji17] Sending lots of vibes for her and I really hope that vet is able to help her xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor Fran :cry:

Personally I'd ask the Vet to run some diagnostics now, starting with a full blood profile and Urinalysis. She may need admitting to have her fur shaved and her urine scald properly assessed.

I hope she can be helped to feel a lot better, poor girlie :cry:

Poor Fran :cry:

Personally I'd ask the Vet to run some diagnostics now, starting with a full blood profile and Urinalysis. She may need admitting to have her fur shaved and her urine scald properly assessed.

I hope she can be helped to feel a lot better, poor girlie :cry:

Have an appointment at 1500. They are really busy today.

Am not sure what to do if they admit her as she is in a trio which I was intending to make a quad once the weather improves and bonding inside won't cause problems with them going back outside. I don't think they would have room for all three buns and I can't physically carry three and don't have a carrier big enough anyway. Their car park is tiny so I often have to park on the road, but a way up as there are double yellow lines outside the surgery and it sounds like they will be too busy to help me. The receptionist said it was 'hectic' today.

I think I will take Zippy and Violet in a separate carrier and take advice from the vet about whether to leave them there or not. They are used to a lot of space and I don't want either of them going into stasis because they are stressed but equally I don't want to leave Fran on her own.

I have just given her some more herbs and she looks so bright and nommed them enthusiastically. Am just so, so relieved that I now have my pension money that I can access if I have to, to pay the bill so I don't have the additional stress of trying to borrow money from friends. I am also doing a lot of overtime at the moment to try to get more work done in the house.

Thank you for the vibes. Fran and I appreciate them. I don't start work until midnight today and am home all day so I can keep checking on her. So far I haven't had to syringe feed her. I haven't seen her eat pellets (SS) but she enjoys carrot and cauliflower stalk so I don't think her teeth are a problem. Her eye is better than it was so I think the flushing helped.

I will bring her in if the vet recommends it but I have bought a new snugglesafe now as my old ones didn't retain the heat all night and she has never felt cold to the touch. It would be easier to look after her if she was inside but, again, I would have to separate her from the other two.

It is so difficult to know what to do for the best. Hopefully, the vet can help me work that out. I use the same vet as Gem does now and they are really good.

I'm sorry to read that Fran is still having problems. Sending lots more vibes and I hope that the vet can establish the cause.

Have an appointment at 1500. They are really busy today.

Am not sure what to do if they admit her as she is in a trio which I was intending to make a quad once the weather improves and bonding inside won't cause problems with them going back outside. I don't think they would have room for all three buns and I can't physically carry three and don't have a carrier big enough anyway. Their car park is tiny so I often have to park on the road, but a way up as there are double yellow lines outside the surgery and it sounds like they will be too busy to help me. The receptionist said it was 'hectic' today.

I think I will take Zippy and Violet in a separate carrier and take advice from the vet about whether to leave them there or not. They are used to a lot of space and I don't want either of them going into stasis because they are stressed but equally I don't want to leave Fran on her own.

I have just given her some more herbs and she looks so bright and nommed them enthusiastically. Am just so, so relieved that I now have my pension money that I can access if I have to, to pay the bill so I don't have the additional stress of trying to borrow money from friends. I am also doing a lot of overtime at the moment to try to get more work done in the house.

Thank you for the vibes. Fran and I appreciate them. I don't start work until midnight today and am home all day so I can keep checking on her. So far I haven't had to syringe feed her. I haven't seen her eat pellets (SS) but she enjoys carrot and cauliflower stalk so I don't think her teeth are a problem. Her eye is better than it was so I think the flushing helped.

I will bring her in if the vet recommends it but I have bought a new snugglesafe now as my old ones didn't retain the heat all night and she has never felt cold to the touch. It would be easier to look after her if she was inside but, again, I would have to separate her from the other two.

It is so difficult to know what to do for the best. Hopefully, the vet can help me work that out. I use the same vet as Gem does now and they are really good.

Good luck with Fran - I will be thinking of you xx

I would really appreciate some advice.

The vet examined Fran and said he would give me some shampoo to bathe her with as it was important to prevent her getting ulcers. He intimated that there was nothing that could be done if she continues to wet herself. She is not an old rabbit and I remembered Jane's post so asked about a blood test. He looked really surprised and said that that would be the next step but that it would be expensive. He said she could also have an ultrasound - also expensive. I told him I had paid £2500 for treatment for bunnies and he looked even more surprised.

He said most owners don't want tests or diagnostics done because of the cost if the bun isn't insured. He had just seen a dog whose owner had sorted out a loan there and then (in reception so everyone could hear) for the £1300 bill. Why would he think my bunny was any less important?

I have left her with him for a blood test and to be cleaned up and can pick her up at 1600 as I have to leave for work at 1700. I am doing an earlier shift so I can do overtime tomorrow. He said that she needs to be kept inside and my dilemma is what do I do about Zippy and Violet. I only have a small terraced house. My bedroom has enough space for a tiny pen for bonding but nothing bigger. My indoor buns used to be kept in the kitchen and that is do-able with some moving of furniture but I won't be able to do it properly until after work. The kitchen is much, much smaller than the area outside that the buns have. Do I bring them all in or separate Fran from her friends?

I just don't know what to do for the best. I am out of the house for long hours and Fran will be alone. She hated being separated for the one night when I had to check if she was eating but is it fair to give the other two buns a much smaller area when they don't need to be inside? It will have to be until the weather warms up - so quite a long time.

Having said that, I do need to build them a new hutch, runaround tunnel and pen so it would give me a chance to do that (with some help) without having to worry about the buns escaping and I could then pull their existing home to bits to make space for the new one rather than doing it in stages.

Off to pick her up now.

Advice would be really appreciated. I have told the vet I am willing to have any necessary tests for her but he wants to wait until the blood test result comes back - which makes sense.

The vet examined Fran and said he would give me some shampoo to bathe her with as it was important to prevent her getting ulcers. He intimated that there was nothing that could be done if she continues to wet herself. She is not an old rabbit and I remembered Jane's post so asked about a blood test. He looked really surprised and said that that would be the next step but that it would be expensive. He said she could also have an ultrasound - also expensive. I told him I had paid £2500 for treatment for bunnies and he looked even more surprised.

He said most owners don't want tests or diagnostics done because of the cost if the bun isn't insured. He had just seen a dog whose owner had sorted out a loan there and then (in reception so everyone could hear) for the £1300 bill. Why would he think my bunny was any less important?

I have left her with him for a blood test and to be cleaned up and can pick her up at 1600 as I have to leave for work at 1700. I am doing an earlier shift so I can do overtime tomorrow. He said that she needs to be kept inside and my dilemma is what do I do about Zippy and Violet. I only have a small terraced house. My bedroom has enough space for a tiny pen for bonding but nothing bigger. My indoor buns used to be kept in the kitchen and that is do-able with some moving of furniture but I won't be able to do it properly until after work. The kitchen is much, much smaller than the area outside that the buns have. Do I bring them all in or separate Fran from her friends?

I just don't know what to do for the best. I am out of the house for long hours and Fran will be alone. She hated being separated for the one night when I had to check if she was eating but is it fair to give the other two buns a much smaller area when they don't need to be inside? It will have to be until the weather warms up - so quite a long time.

Having said that, I do need to build them a new hutch, runaround tunnel and pen so it would give me a chance to do that (with some help) without having to worry about the buns escaping and I could then pull their existing home to bits to make space for the new one rather than doing it in stages.

Off to pick her up now.

Advice would be really appreciated. I have told the vet I am willing to have any necessary tests for her but he wants to wait until the blood test result comes back - which makes sense.

I would not separate Fran from her friends. You could allow them free range exercise time around the house when you are there to supervise them. Do you have a Living room ? If so could that be made Bunny proof ?

I hope that the blood test results do not throw up anything of major concern x

Off to pick her up now.

Hi there

I think the separation issue is one you have to decide yourself based on the personalities and the bonds of the rabbits involved.

I have over the past weeks split my group up several ways on different occasions. I have had to, but in each case I decided based on how they would be when they got back together and it's always worked out perfectly fine.

If you think the bond is fragile then I would see what you can achieve.

Good luck with the blood tests and I hope they don't deprive you of all of your bank balance!

Don't know what to advise. Could they go in your bedroom ? ARC have loads of spare pens, I have a small one but I know one of the other volunteers has a high large one. I haven't forgot about the bed, it had some mildew on it so needed to scrub it three different days and allow to dry inbetween, I didn't think it good to wash in the washing machine incase it soaked the stuffing and wouldn't dry out properly.

There's not the room in my bedroom for three buns as I have a king sized bed (given to me by a friend who was moving - I wouldn't have bought such a big one for just me). The living room has just been decorated after my previous buns trashed it and, again, there is not enough room as I now have a table and chairs in there that I didn't have before. The kitchen has more floor space than the lounge and I can move the movable furniture out tomorrow. Am at work now.

The vet tried to do an ultrasound while I was there but wants me to take her back on Wednesday and leave her so he can be more thorough. He wants to look at her diet and looked up Science Selective pellets on the pc which is what she has been on for a couple of months (got a huge bagful). They get very little pellets and mostly hay and some forage. Before SS I gave them Excel and before that they had cheaper stuff from the supermarket or Rabbit Royale. I will swap pellets if the vet advises it but she has so few daily that I doubt that is causing a problem and she has been on SS for ages as I got such a huge bag and only have three buns. He now thinks she may have a kidney stone.

The blood test results should be back on Wednesday hopefully. I am going back tomorrow to pick up the shampoo as he didn't have time to sort it out today and I had to dash to get Fran home, change into my uniform and then get to work. I've had nothing to eat all day except a bag of crisps this morning::(:(

I think I will put all three buns in the kitchen and then let them free range in the hallway too when I am home - the cat food is there and a cat flap so I need to be there in case they eat the cat food or escape out of the cat flap. Will sort out some old rugs for the kitchen floor so they don't slip and find a small crate for a base. I know I have one somewhere. The huge one is in the garden but would take up most of the kitchen and I would have to crawl in it to clean it out. I will put one of the tunnels in the kitchen too as they all love their tunnels. It will be lovely not having to clean them out in the pouring rain and dark.

Had better do some work now. Have offered to do overtime tomorrow overnight - I earn it and the bunnies spend it!!!!:)

There's not the room in my bedroom for three buns as I have a king sized bed (given to me by a friend who was moving - I wouldn't have bought such a big one for just me). The living room has just been decorated after my previous buns trashed it and, again, there is not enough room as I now have a table and chairs in there that I didn't have before. The kitchen has more floor space than the lounge and I can move the movable furniture out tomorrow. Am at work now.

The vet tried to do an ultrasound while I was there but wants me to take her back on Wednesday and leave her so he can be more thorough. He wants to look at her diet and looked up Science Selective pellets on the pc which is what she has been on for a couple of months (got a huge bagful). They get very little pellets and mostly hay and some forage. Before SS I gave them Excel and before that they had cheaper stuff from the supermarket or Rabbit Royale. I will swap pellets if the vet advises it but she has so few daily that I doubt that is causing a problem and she has been on SS for ages as I got such a huge bag and only have three buns. He now thinks she may have a kidney stone.

The blood test results should be back on Wednesday hopefully. I am going back tomorrow to pick up the shampoo as he didn't have time to sort it out today and I had to dash to get Fran home, change into my uniform and then get to work. I've had nothing to eat all day except a bag of crisps this morning::(:(

I think I will put all three buns in the kitchen and then let them free range in the hallway too when I am home - the cat food is there and a cat flap so I need to be there in case they eat the cat food or escape out of the cat flap. Will sort out some old rugs for the kitchen floor so they don't slip and find a small crate for a base. I know I have one somewhere. The huge one is in the garden but would take up most of the kitchen and I would have to crawl in it to clean it out. I will put one of the tunnels in the kitchen too as they all love their tunnels. It will be lovely not having to clean them out in the pouring rain and dark.

Had better do some work now. Have offered to do overtime tomorrow overnight - I earn it and the bunnies spend it!!!!:)

Gosh don't I know it! I am up to thousands that I don't have!!

Take care of yourself K. Hugs xx

Look after yourself too :) I think kitchen with all three is best: they'll just be more glad of the space outdoors when they ge it back :thumb:

Back